Racism

Racism

Unread postby Troogs » 25 Jun 13, 10:49 pm

The community on the games.on.net Chiv servers is at times digusting. People fling racial slurs around ("****, coons") and other offensive epithets (****, poof) - this is SOMEWHAT occasional but happening much more than it should, the concerning part is though that everyone on the server is okay with it. Every time it has happened I have spoken up about it in chat and a few times initiated votekicks, and the vast majority of other players on the server are against me.

That people think this sort of behaviour is okay on public servers is unacceptable. I think it would be appropriate for there to be a message on the servers reminding players of the seriousness of racism, as well as at least SOME admin presence - I have never ever seen an admin on any of these servers, and while I don't expect omnipresence I think it's not too much to ask to see at least one admin patrolling all the servers during busy periods, and to be available in some way for reports of inappropriate behaviour as it happens would definitely be a bonus.

I don't have the names of any particular offenders but when I notice it in the future I will record their names and post them in this thread.
Troogs

n00bie

Re: Racism

Unread postby Troogs » 25 Jun 13, 10:54 pm

Sorry, didn't count on the content filter. The two censored examples are the N-word, and a three-letter homophobic word.
Troogs

n00bie

Unread postby Makena » 25 Jun 13, 10:59 pm

Troogs wrote:I don't have the names of any particular offenders but when I notice it in the future I will record their names and post them in this thread.

While I understand your frustration, we don't name and shame on the forums, what you can do though is record details (Screenshots, demo function if the game has one), and submit a Trouble Maker Report (TMR) through this: http://games.on.net/contact/
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

Unread postby Troogs » 25 Jun 13, 11:02 pm

That's fine but like I said my main concern is the general attitude. What about my suggestion that you implement an anti-racism message? And admins? Community policing of the issue is fine but I don't think it's appropriate to totally rely on it. This is a public server and should be friendly to all people and internode has a responsibility to act to ensure this.
Troogs

n00bie

Unread postby Makena » 25 Jun 13, 11:03 pm

Troogs wrote:That's fine but like I said my main concern is the general attitude. What about my suggestion that you implement an anti-racism message? And admins? Community policing of the issue is fine but I don't think it's appropriate to totally rely on it. This is a public server and should be friendly to all people and internode has a responsibility to act to ensure this.

Game admining isn't really my area, no doubt the relevant people will see this thread tonight/tomorrow sometime and chime in as appropriate.
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

Unread postby Wrangl3r » 25 Jun 13, 11:27 pm

The current Chivalry admin team works exceptionally hard to try and keep the servers a friendly and trouble free place to game, but having 26 or so servers, they can't be everywhere at once! (Not to mention any real life commitments they may have).

As Makena has said, the best thing you can do is to collect evidence on any players you see breaking the GON server rules, and submit it under the Trouble Maker Report section of the contact us page. This allows the admin team to deal with trouble makers in a timely and appropriate fashion, even when they haven't been able to make it onto the server and deal with the problems as they occur.
Wrangl3r

Story Teller

Unread postby BlaZe42 » 25 Jun 13, 11:38 pm

Unfortunately even a simple message of the day to display the rules is beyond what torn banner has given us when it comes to admin tools

Currently we don't have enough admins and will look into getting more but in the meantime if you use the "getplayerinfo" command followed by a players name or 2 spaces if you want the IDs of the whole server and screenshot that along with any racial slurs then submit to http://games.on.net/contact/ , those players will receive harsh bans
BlaZe42

Padawan

Unread postby Lemonater47 » 24 Jul 13, 6:48 am

Chivary is an in your face kinda game. And it can be very frustrating and often make people rage. I understand people do rage Lots so I usually only intervene a heated argument. Not someone having a one time rage with a couple of offensive words. And many times its in a joking way.

But racism I will not tolerate. As you are not only insulting the person its aimed at but the entire race of people. Sadly many people don't think calling someone a "****" is particulary insulting.
Lemonater47

CMW Admin

Unread postby Dr z0b » 26 Aug 13, 12:15 pm

I gave someone a warning for calling people "N*****s" yesterday and his response was "but I'm black, I'm allowed to say that. How is that racist?" I just ignored it because I had issued the warning and nobody said anything afterwards. Same thing with someone's name had "coon" in it and said something racist, I issued an warning and his response was "it's a type of badger". People must think admins are very stupid.
Dr z0b

CMW Admin

Unread postby Disco LT » 26 Aug 13, 12:32 pm

Yes they do, maybe if his name was raccoon I could understand it.. otherwise he's just a twat.
Disco LT

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby -Slayer- » 26 Aug 13, 2:11 pm

Dr z0b wrote:I gave someone a warning for calling people "N*****s" yesterday and his response was "but I'm black, I'm allowed to say that. How is that racist?"

That's a typical old reply to that sort of stuff, what I tell them is we don't care what colour you are, we have server rules and everybody needs to read them and follow them, or you will end up with a ban its just that simple. ;)
-Slayer-

Senior BF Admin

Return to Chivalry : Medieval Warfare