Advice on New Motherboard and Processor

Forum for Technical discussions

Advice on New Motherboard and Processor

Unread postby matthewdev » 29 Apr 13, 1:11 pm

I am currently in the process of building myself a computer and was wondering whether anyone here would have some suggestions on what I should look at for a new motherboard and processor. For the motherboard I basically want something that supports all the newer hardware, e.g. SATA3 connections, PCI-Express 3, USB 3 etc. I can fit a full ATX board on my system.

For the processor I'm not really sure exactly what I should look at, I just want something fast that won't cost a ridiculous amount of money. Maybe a top end i5 or low end i7?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
i5-3570k, HD7870, 8GB 1600mhz RAM, 128GB SSD + 1.5TB HDD
matthewdev

Padawan

Re: Advice on New Motherboard and Processor

Unread postby Auld » 29 Apr 13, 1:33 pm

i5 3570k for the processor hands down best value for money and an easy OC.

Mobo is going to be a bit more personal. I just bought an Asrock Z77 Extreme4** and I'm very happy with features and performance.

edit: link to the Asrock I mentioned, which fits your brief for ports/features http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/

edit 2: I bought an Extreme4, has 2 x PCI 3.0 so I can SLI down the track :)
Last edited by Auld on 29 Apr 13, 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Auld

Story Teller

Unread postby Makena » 29 Apr 13, 1:39 pm

Seconded.

Current best value is the i5 3570k and whatever Z77 based motherboard takes your fancy/has the specific motherboard features you want.
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

Unread postby matthewdev » 29 Apr 13, 1:55 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Those suggestions come up to around the price I was hoping for too :)
matthewdev

Padawan

Unread postby Auld » 29 Apr 13, 2:16 pm

Well if you go down the Asrock path I can recommend this guide for OCing the CPU. I have mine up to a comfortable 4.2GHz with a Coolermaster Hyper212 heatsink. 67 degrees under gaming load.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/comp ... ck-edition

http://www.coolermaster.co.nz/product.p ... ct_id=6603

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search. ... 212&spos=3
Auld

Story Teller

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 29 Apr 13, 2:37 pm

Well its not a bad time to buy at the moment due to the next intel processor due to launch in june, so you can either wait it out as haswell is looking to be a neat bit of kit, otherwise whats your price range?

All Z77 motherboards and X79 and 990FX boards support all of the newer technologies. If you are looking to buy ATX these are all of the chipsets for both you intel and amd ranges.

A lot of this is dependent on budget and what you are looking to do with the system, for example, if you looking to do straight gaming an Z77 + i5 system will suit perfectly, if your looking to do a range of things(editing, adobe, CAD etc) and have a high budget then an X79 + i7 system would do here, or if your looking performance that's suited for multicore tasks and isnt as hefty a price as the i7 then a 990fx + AMD FX will do quite well.

"i5's"
Hidden: show
Basically the i5 3570 will suit almost all needs, if you want to OC or want the possibility to upgrade to the 3570K ('K' designated processors from intel have an unlocked multiplier, which means easier overclocking pricewise ~$235. The 3570whilst being locked is still a great buy compared to the price increase of its older bro the 3770 and the marginal performance benefit that comes with it pricewise ~$210. For ~$20 the K version is worth looking into as Overclocking on the Z77 board is quite easy and is well covered.

For a 3570/3570K i5 system motherboards i would consider would be:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - Barebones great value Z77 motherboard has all the features mentioned ~$135
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H - Barebones solid performer with all of the above ~$165
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H-WB - exactly like the board above but with additional Bluetooth and Wifi module ~$190
Asus P8Z77-V Pro - higher teir Asus motherboard with wifi and decent performer. ~$220

All of these are priced cheapest - dearest, the ASRock has been one of the best boards this generation. If your looking for ultra high end i would consider a ROG Maximus V, but not everyone has a money tree. The i5 3570 is a 3.4-3.8Ghz quad core, its a well performing CPU and can easily drive a system to play anything and is probably the best allround processor at the moment, bang for buck. It only falls short in multithreading tasks, but considering that AMD's 8350 is around the same price point and has poor single thread performance and the 3570K's ability to reach 4ghz easily makes the 3570 the better catch.

"i7's"
In short, socket 2011/X79 boards are expensive but suit people looking for editing and many heavily threaded applications, they are the replacement for the 1366 i7 9XX series from many years ago. If your looking for Gaming, your much better of with a Z77/i5 solution as most games do not directly benefit from having more than 4 cores, or HyperThreading (otherwise known as HT) which are the main benefits of grabbing an i7 processor. Again if you have the money go a decent high-mid range board, but the ASRock has got some decent feedback and the intel board is pretty darn robust.

Processor choice is strictly i7's with options for quad(4), hex(6) or Oct(8) core processors with HT, i5's do not have HT. Best pick of this bunch would easily be the Intel Core i7 3930K, as the cheapest and fairest priced hex core, before the ridiculous X series processors and their ilk usually snug around the ~$590 mark.

For an X79/2011 socket i7 build i would look at:
ASRock X79 Extreme6- Barebones X79 motherboard, decent value for $$$ ~$235
Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - Slightly better value for $$$ ~$245
Intel DX79SR - Solid X79 motherboard ~$320
ASUS Rampage IV Formula - Best High-Midrange motherboard ~$350

AMD FX
For AMD which is often forgotten, but is slowly clawing back onto the landscape, I would have a look at AMD3+ boards with the 990FX chipset for sli/xfire compatability, the only processor worth mention is the FX 8350 which is an octo(8) core. No 990FX board does PCI-E 3.0 native, some of the higher end boards do via an extra chip. (tbh, PCI-E 3.0 isnt really a feature that would break the sale here.)

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 - nice placement board with plenty of rear i/o panel ~$135
[url=ASRock 990FX Extreme4]ASRock 990FX Extreme4[/url]- Bit of a overhaul on the board above, better for upgrade, upgraded heatsinks on NB/SB ~$160
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z - Premium board with upgraded audio and network, also great community support and solid overall

There are a range of options if nothing is in your price point so no need to despair, let us know what thy budget is and what you will use it for and we should be able to arrange something to suit :P

::EDIT::
gawddarnit, lucky i was looking at updating the uber thread today, considering haswell is on the horizon, but there are a few more options...
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby matthewdev » 30 Apr 13, 4:29 pm

Thanks for the info Steve, I am hoping to keep it under $500 for the motherboard and processor together.

Also I was wondering how worthwhile is an aftermarket CPU cooler?
matthewdev

Padawan

Unread postby SaNE » 30 Apr 13, 6:50 pm

matthewdev wrote:Also I was wondering how worthwhile is an aftermarket CPU cooler?

It's not necessary unless you plan to do some overclocking or you want a more silent system.
Steam - Battlelog - X-Fire - "If you're not hurting somebody's feelings, you're losing"
SaNE

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Auld » 30 Apr 13, 7:04 pm

matthewdev wrote:Also I was wondering how worthwhile is an aftermarket CPU cooler?

You are grabbing a CPU that not only OC's really well, but really easily. It would be silly not to grab an aftermarket cooler of some sort, especially considering the Hyper212 is only $35.
Auld

Story Teller

Unread postby sagga17 » 7 May 13, 5:33 pm

I have just built a media server with the i5 3570k and Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard, very good combo!
sagga17

Player

Unread postby Tydus » 10 May 13, 12:44 am

sagga17 wrote:I have just built a media server with the i5 3570k and Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard, very good combo!

Do people tell you that its massive overkill? every time i tell people that i have a 3570 in my server i always have to explain why, people generally see the benefit afterwards tho.
Tydus

Padawan

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 10 May 13, 11:21 am

For a media server quick sync at 3570 speeds would be nice but as most media servers are fairly basic builds I can see why people would see it as overkill. Then again my comp gets used as a media centre every so often. But overkill isnt in my dictionary
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby Auld » 10 May 13, 12:27 pm

Hmmm, with the advent of 2k, 4k and 8k media I'd say a 3570k is good future planning....not overkill :)
Auld

Story Teller

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 10 May 13, 8:50 pm

more like haswell, the igp is more than capable of 4k for media work.
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby matthewdev » 10 May 13, 10:09 pm

well I went with the 3570k, should arrive early next week :)

Will let you know what I think of it.
matthewdev

Padawan

Next

Return to Tech Chat