Please recommend me a laptop.

Forum for Technical discussions

Re: Please recommend me a laptop.

Unread postby no-gun » 10 Apr 13, 2:37 pm

SaNE wrote:
R3-5eNn wrote:Only $970? Or did I read that wrong.

How does this compare to the other Asus Sane linked me?

It's basically the same (if you're talking about the one that looks similar as linked below), It's got a worse graphics card (only slightly better than onboard) and a touchscreen.

Asus R505CB-XO003H $829 (Better GPU, Not Touchscreen)
Asus R550CM-CJ058H $917 (Worse GPU, Touchscreen)

If you're going to be using a mouse then I'd go with the other one which has a better GPU.

Yep, the R505 does have a better graphics card. Really depends what you want to play.

To throw in a final contendor, try:

http://ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=611010 ... Has a better GPU than R550 but worse than R505...
it is touchscreen and has an i7 (better CPU than both R505 and R550 and 6gig of ram (better than both once again)

Its all about trade-offs.

Best CPU, medium GPU, 6G RAM, with touch - Acer M3
Best GPU, medium CPU, 4G RAM, with no touch - ASUS R505

(The Acer was the one I was talking about that I forgot earlier)
Last edited by no-gun on 10 Apr 13, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no-gun

Game Admin

Location: Univery, Milky Way, Solaris, Earth, Australia, Melbourne

Unread postby Bicketybam » 10 Apr 13, 2:37 pm

SaNE wrote:
R3-5eNn wrote:Only $970? Or did I read that wrong.

How does this compare to the other Asus Sane linked me?

Asus R505CB-XO003H $829 (Better GPU, Not Touchscreen)

There is also the ASUS UX31A-C4033P which is rated by most reviewers as being the best Ultrabook available, (and the one my friend's is looking at getting) although it does cost a lot more - $1595 is about avg price for what at first seems like less features then the R505CB, but then you realise the differences.

The UX31A has a smaller screen 13.3 compared to 15.6 but it is an IPS panel and runs at a higher resolution but the R505CB has a much better graphics card.

The UX31A has 256GB SSD where the R505CB has a bigger but slower 5400rpm platter hdd.

The UX31A has touchscreen, 2x USB 3.0 (the R505CB has no touchscreen and only has 1 USB 3.0 but also 2x USB 2.0 slots).

The UX31A doesn't have a DVD drive (who uses them really these days) unlike the other but then it is also a full 1.0kg lighter then it's counterpart.

Choices, choices, choices.

It just depends what is more important to you, if you have to lug it around a lot is that extra 1kg on the R505CB and the better video card the better option over the lighter faster (yet double the price) UX31A.

Good luck choosing. ;)
ImageImage
" " - Silent Bob

Gamers can really come across with a pathetically huge sense of self entitlement at times
Bicketybam

Senior TF2 Admin

Unread postby Long John » 10 Apr 13, 6:36 pm

I can only suggest Dell XPS or Alienware when it comes to laptops now as their support is good and they have helped me twice repair notebooks well outside of warranty period at their cost. I have heard horror stories from people over returns to shop/manufacturer that never got repaired - Compare this to standing over the techs shoulder and being able to make sure its fixed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long John

Padawan

Unread postby R3-5eNn » 10 Apr 13, 6:46 pm

You guys have given me soo many options.

I don't worry about the weight, unless it's 43kg. The most I'll be lugging it around is onto the plane and off the plane. A decent screen and the ability to run COD4 would be great. Hard drive size is a little bit important as I'll be doing a lot of TV show watching too. As for touch screen, is there really any point? I'll be watching movies/tv shows and playing COD mostly.

I've got a lot of laptops to look at, I really appreciate the help :)

Thankyou!
Call me whatever you want, Resenn, R3, Senn, Rez.
R3-5eNn

CoD Admin

Unread postby SaNE » 10 Apr 13, 7:16 pm

R3-5eNn wrote:I don't worry about the weight, unless it's 43kg.

It's actually 3.8kg :lol: The cost of 2 massive heatsinks which blow hot air onto anyone you're pointing it at.

R3-5eNn wrote:The most I'll be lugging it around is onto the plane and off the plane. A decent screen and the ability to run COD4 would be great. Hard drive size is a little bit important as I'll be doing a lot of TV show watching too.

Well an IPS screen would be the best (color and viewing angles) but you're going to be spending your whole budget for the screen and then some to get a decent GPU.

R3-5eNn wrote:As for touch screen, is there really any point? I'll be watching movies/tv shows and playing COD mostly.

Personally I've never used them on laptops as it's simply a gimmick, the market expects touch everything now just like 3D which is thankfully dieing off...
It's just awkward to reach forward constantly for small things and painful for long term use (unless it's a tablet), plus the touchpads have the same gestures so it's mostly pointless even more so if you're using a mouse.

If you can't choose then flip a coin, If you don't like the choice that comes up then choose the other. ;)
Steam - Battlelog - X-Fire - "If you're not hurting somebody's feelings, you're losing"
SaNE

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby R3-5eNn » 10 Apr 13, 9:54 pm

Thanks Sane.

I think tomorrow after work I'll have to sit down and re-read what has been written so far and make a list and rate each laptop that has been recommended.

I still like one of those first Asus laptops you recommended. The G55 or something.

I'll do some more research, I might have a bit more time on my hands as work might not be flying me out for another week now :D
R3-5eNn

CoD Admin

Unread postby WhiteKnight210 » 10 Apr 13, 10:34 pm

You could always go with an MSI laptop. I bought one about 4 years ago and its still going strong.

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-ab4 ... tx660win_8

Mwave is in Sydney and you can pickup if your local or they can ship.
WhiteKnight210

Regular

Unread postby R3-5eNn » 11 Apr 13, 6:21 am

WhiteKnight210 wrote:You could always go with an MSI laptop. I bought one about 4 years ago and its still going strong.

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-ab4 ... tx660win_8

Mwave is in Sydney and you can pickup if your local or they can ship.

I saw that PCCG only really sells MSI laptops and I've never known the quality of MSI the years I've been building computers.

Can anyone else comment on MSI products? Just another laptop to add to my list for review viewing :)
R3-5eNn

CoD Admin

Unread postby SaNE » 11 Apr 13, 8:06 am

R3-5eNn wrote:Can anyone else comment on MSI products? Just another laptop to add to my list for review viewing :)

Build quality is nowhere near good enough and their support is seriously inept, easily the worst I've ever dealt with of any brand or company ever.

May contain an MSi rant.
Hidden: show
I sent back two laptops (at the end of last year) for hinge repair as they continually break with minimal operation (it seems they haven't cared to change the design) but they didn't fix either of them and even kept one of the batteries. Took just over 2 months to get everything sorted and every interaction was a cluster, nobody had any idea what was going on and I had to resort to threats to get anything happening.

My experience with their PC hardware has been a similar story with lackluster quality, they just don't last as long as competitors products and have always had more problems even ranging back to P4/Athlon64 boards.

GX720 Series (5 Returns) - Hinge x1, Screen+Hinge x2 and Power/Component x2
GT70 Series (2 Returns) - Hinge x1 and Screen+Hinge x1

I've had bad experiences with brands before but never to the same continued level of failure over so many years, It's a case that I really can't give the usual "Your Mileage May Vary" disclaimer.

Well this was depressing :|
Steam - Battlelog - X-Fire - "If you're not hurting somebody's feelings, you're losing"
SaNE

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby R3-5eNn » 11 Apr 13, 9:36 am

SaNE wrote:
R3-5eNn wrote:Can anyone else comment on MSI products? Just another laptop to add to my list for review viewing :)

Build quality is nowhere near good enough and their support is seriously inept, easily the worst I've ever dealt with of any brand or company ever.

May contain an MSi rant.
Hidden: show
I sent back two laptops (at the end of last year) for hinge repair as they continually break with minimal operation (it seems they haven't cared to change the design) but they didn't fix either of them and even kept one of the batteries. Took just over 2 months to get everything sorted and every interaction was a cluster, nobody had any idea what was going on and I had to resort to threats to get anything happening.

My experience with their PC hardware has been a similar story with lackluster quality, they just don't last as long as competitors products and have always had more problems even ranging back to P4/Athlon64 boards.

GX720 Series (5 Returns) - Hinge x1, Screen+Hinge x2 and Power/Component x2
GT70 Series (2 Returns) - Hinge x1 and Screen+Hinge x1

I've had bad experiences with brands before but never to the same continued level of failure over so many years, It's a case that I really can't give the usual "Your Mileage May Vary" disclaimer.

Well this was depressing :|

Far out that's pretty bad :/
R3-5eNn

CoD Admin

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 11 Apr 13, 11:44 am

I have heard ups and downs from MSI, similar to SaNE...

i think its another case of if your state side the service and everything is ok, but in Aus its a different story.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby MrMoilT » 11 Apr 13, 12:10 pm

If you don't mind going down to win7 there is still a fair few around, in fact you can get a laptop similar to the ones on the first page for half the price.

It's just a matter of going to a shop and asking if they have any old win7 laptops out the back and most of them do.

Also Steam sell well have links to Alienware gaming laptops theres a decent one on there for $999.
MrMoilT

Padawan

Unread postby R3-5eNn » 11 Apr 13, 12:27 pm

I was wondering where the windows 7 laptops had gone.
I personally don't have any interest in Windows 8 and will probably end up moving to W7 if I end up with a W8 laptop.
R3-5eNn

CoD Admin

Unread postby Bicketybam » 11 Apr 13, 3:31 pm

R3-5eNn wrote:I was wondering where the windows 7 laptops had gone.
I personally don't have any interest in Windows 8 and will probably end up moving to W7 if I end up with a W8 laptop.

You may as well keep it as windows 8, but it is easy enough to make 8 look like 7 but still have the abilities of 8. Having recently installed it on a friends system I found it annoying as hell to set up but once I started to work it out (and some software to put the start key back in) it was quite easy to use and had some features that weren't to bad.

If you do get touchscreen capable notebook then you also have the ability (should you want to) to use the metro interface with 8.
ImageImage
" " - Silent Bob

Gamers can really come across with a pathetically huge sense of self entitlement at times
Bicketybam

Senior TF2 Admin

Unread postby R3-5eNn » 11 Apr 13, 3:48 pm

Is windows 8 resource hogging like vista or is it just as good as 7?

I think I'm going to steer clear of the touchscreen for now. I can't really see myself using it since ill be using a mouse.
R3-5eNn

CoD Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Chat