Show us your latest purchase - April 2013

Re: Show us your latest purchase - April 2013

Unread postby El_Funko » 22 Apr 13, 12:22 pm

ImageImageImageImage

My 3DS XL arrives today! So excited.

After researching the state of the 3DS union, I decided to import a US 3DS XL from Amazon instead of buying one from Australia. The disparity between the AU releases and US releases is pretty horrendous. Not just price, which is as brutal as ever, but the release dates are often weeks or months apart.

Not only that, but the US eShop is filled with way more titles than the AU version. I'll be picking up a 32GB SD card and some prepaid eShop US cards from play-asia.com so I can fill that sucker full of downloadable titles.
El_Funko

Server Administration Team

Unread postby SuBw00FeR » 22 Apr 13, 12:36 pm

^ Awesome choice, I'll be doing the same, grabbing a US 3DS XL, Looking forward to Fire Emblem and Pokemon in October. :D
Main PC: i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz - 4x4GB Corsair RAM - GTX690 - MSI Z77 MPOWER
SuBw00FeR

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby El_Funko » 22 Apr 13, 12:45 pm

Yeah I knew I was going to get one before Pokemon, so I figured I'd dive in now after seeing all the good reviews LM:DM and Fire Emblem are getting.

Plus I want to have it stocked full of games for when I go to Melbourne for PAX, so this gives me a few months to get things in order.
El_Funko

Unread postby SuBw00FeR » 22 Apr 13, 12:54 pm

Yeah, I'm probably gonna grab one before PAX as well, and bring it with me. (As well as my Vita).

I would like to get a special edition one, wonder if the US got any of them , I think they got the pikachu version. But I think that's it.
SuBw00FeR

Unread postby Ashigaru » 22 Apr 13, 12:56 pm

Matt, sick choices on your first games! I may well be going down the same route!

Quick Q for all you 3DS users out there, I bought a DS on launch (yes the dodgy silver one), played it for about 3 months and haven't touched it since. Is it truly worth getting a 3DS XL?

Also the 3DS' are region locked I read :( Bit of a shame...
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby El_Funko » 22 Apr 13, 12:57 pm

There's an Animal Crossing bundle coming in June, US region:

And there's a Fire Emblem bundle, but I don't know which region(s) it was released in:

El_Funko

Unread postby SuBw00FeR » 22 Apr 13, 12:57 pm

Pretty sure I found the one I want. >>

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Blue ... xl+edition
SuBw00FeR

Unread postby El_Funko » 22 Apr 13, 1:15 pm

SuBw00FeR wrote:Pretty sure I found the one I want. >>

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Blue ... xl+edition

Keep in mind, that's the 3DS version you linked (not XL).

Ashigaru wrote:Quick Q for all you 3DS users out there, I bought a DS on launch (yes the dodgy silver one), played it for about 3 months and haven't touched it since. Is it truly worth getting a 3DS XL?

Also the 3DS' are region locked I read :( Bit of a shame...

I own the original giant silver DS brick, a black DSlite, and now the 3DS XL. In my opinion, the DS really only kicked off when they reduced the form factor from the original to the Lite version. It instantly became more portable, and the battery life was WAY better.

Not just the device itself, but the titles released at the time are as big a factor. These days you've got years of DS back-catalogue, along with the eShop downloads. I'm looking forward to being able to play NES virtual console titles on the go, plus all the standalone 3DS games offered as digital downloads. It'll be nice to have a bunch of games saved to my SD card so I don't have to carry a whole bunch of carts around with me.

While 3DS titles are region locked, old DS titles aren't. I'll still be able to play my AU copies of Advanced Wars: Dual Strike and Scribblenauts on my 3DS. I just have to remember not to impulse purchase any 3DS titles from an AU store, as my 3DS will be locked to US carts. I actually don't plan on importing many US carts, I'll simply buy prepaid eShop cards and download any games I want from the eShop. A 32GB SD card can hold a hell of a lot of DS titles.

Should you get one? Well, that depends on you.

The XL has better battery life than the vanilla 3DS and way bigger screens. Nintendo seems to have a strong history of releasing a new DS form factor, then revising it within a couple of years and fixing all the bugs/problems with the first one. I learned that from the DS/DSlite scenario, so I waited for the XL before jumping on the 3DS bandwagon.

Edit: Oh, and the main reason I bought the 3DS now is that Nintendo US is running a promo up until April 30. Activate a 3DS XL and either Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon before April 30 and receive a free download game - Super Mario 3D Land, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone!, Star Fox 64 3D or Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive!

I'm going to choose Professor Layton, because I love me some puzzle games.
El_Funko

Unread postby Ashigaru » 22 Apr 13, 2:15 pm

Thanks for the detailed run down Matt! I'm thinking a 3DS XL because my giant fingers get cramps playing on smaller consoles. Playing Street Fighter Alpha Max 3 on my PSP used to give me the biggest effing cramps :lol:
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby diamondd » 22 Apr 13, 2:18 pm

Matt 'El_Funko' Long wrote:In my opinion, the DS really only kicked off when they reduced the form factor from the original to the Lite version. It instantly became more portable, and the battery life was WAY better.

this

I've put my DS lite through hundreds of hours of abuse. I've been waiting waiting for more 3DS games to hit to pull the trigger and going by your selection I think it might be time :D
diamondd

Unread postby El_Funko » 22 Apr 13, 2:33 pm

Ashigaru wrote:Thanks for the detailed run down Matt! I'm thinking a 3DS XL because my giant fingers get cramps playing on smaller consoles. Playing Street Fighter Alpha Max 3 on my PSP used to give me the biggest effing cramps :lol:

Yeah, that's another good reason to go for an XL. An article I was reading earlier in the week had an image that illustrated the size differences perfectly:

Being able to play in a relaxed, natural grip is much better than having to cramp your hands up to reach the controls.

diamondd wrote:I've been waiting waiting for more 3DS games to hit to pull the trigger and going by your selection I think it might be time :D

Another big factor is the recent 3DS focussed Nintendo Direct (recap) which announced a sequel to A Link to the Past for the 3DS which looks totally rad.
El_Funko

Unread postby SuBw00FeR » 22 Apr 13, 2:39 pm

Matt 'El_Funko' Long wrote:Keep in mind, that's the 3DS version you linked (not XL).

Damn, it is too. :(
SuBw00FeR

Unread postby El_Funko » 22 Apr 13, 3:17 pm

The image I posted above is definitely an XL Fire Emblem bundle, but it looks like the bundle was only available in Europe and not the US.
El_Funko

Unread postby Nekosan » 22 Apr 13, 5:33 pm

Needed a new mouse for ages and it was either purchase the lachesis locally or order a Roccatt, lazy won over.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Ninja Catfish » 23 Apr 13, 12:07 am

Fire Emblem and Injustice from the last few EB trips, Singularity from Ozgameshop, and the rest from a great little second-hand store in Bunbury.
007: Agent Under Fire
MK: Deadly Alliance
Disney's Action Game featuring Hercules
Battletoads
Double Dragon 2
DBZ: Legacy of Goku 2
Nintendo Network ID - Catfiish | Live - NinjaxCatfish | PlayStation ID - NinjaCatfish | last.fm - NinjaCatfish | Twitter - StevenImpson
Ninja Catfish

1337 p0st3r

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat