Linux + Steam = Grood?

Forum for Technical discussions

Linux + Steam = Grood?

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 6 Mar 13, 3:09 pm

Hey Ladette's/Lad's

Im gunna try and embark on this crazy train to linux-ville to see if the 'steam' is greener on the other side...

Anyone else looking to do the same or already in the thick of it or just curious what the whole dang deal is about?

Currently looking to stick it up on my lappy as previous ventures into linux-town has worked ok, nvidia drivers aside...

Any tips, tricks or 'arrrgh burn it with a stick' are/is welcome.

:)
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Re: Linux + Steam = Grood?

Unread postby Mearehear » 6 Mar 13, 3:42 pm

I actually redownloaded Ubuntu the other day with the plans of having it set to run as a dual boot option along side Windows 8, with the intention of installing Steam on it and whatever games I own that are Linux enabled. Interested to see how TF2 and others run under it.

I seriously would jump ship if enough games were supported, I personally enjoy Ubuntu and like it over Windows 8 (I know the linux diehards will moan at Ubuntu, but pffft lol, I like it ;) ) If one good race sim was supported I would probably jump ship now. TF2 + a linux enabled race sIm, + something like X -Plane for a flight sim, which is also already Linux enabled, and I would be set well enough to cope losing the other windows only games.

EDIT - Jumping ship would also require decent driver support for my peripherals for those titles, ie Logitech Wheels and Flight Stick. If all that was in place I would commit to it.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby brimlad » 6 Mar 13, 4:20 pm

I've had steam running on redhat for a few months with tf2 running and while it works okay it doesn't look as good as it does on windows, though probably more an amd driver issue and Ubuntu might give better results. The concept is good I think it just needs more time before it's a reasonable alternative to windows for me. Definitely worth a tinker though.
(i7 930@3.6 x58ud7 24gbhyperx 7970x2 S27a950d)ClanPwRPlaY
brimlad

Game Admin

Unread postby diamondd » 6 Mar 13, 4:22 pm

I run Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop exclusively and I installed Steam on it no problems whatsoever when it went into open beta.

All the games I've tried work just fine, and steam cloud on the relevant ones also worked. Only issue at the moment is that only about 1/3rd or less of my library is available on Linux at this point in time.

EDIT:^and to Mearehear, Ubuntu sky-rocketed in quality in the jump to v12 IMO. I've run dozens of distro's in the past and nothing is as easy to get running as Ubuntu and I don't see that as a problem.

I do change a lot from its "out of the box" configuration though :P
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby stanna » 6 Mar 13, 4:45 pm

No matter how hard I try I just don't like unity... Mint is a great alternative to ubuntu
stanna

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Mearehear » 6 Mar 13, 4:52 pm

diamondd wrote: I've run dozens of distro's in the past and nothing is as easy to get running as Ubuntu and I don't see that as a problem.

"Linux for humans" really rings true with it :)
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby diamondd » 6 Mar 13, 5:06 pm

stanna wrote:No matter how hard I try I just don't like unity... Mint is a great alternative to ubuntu

I hate unity, doesn't mean you have to use it... flexibility is the one of the biggest pros for using any Linux distro.
diamondd

Unread postby v4moose » 7 Mar 13, 1:31 am

i literally installed mint 14 last night and put steam on it. now dual booting with win 7 on my main desktop.

main reason was to see the performance difference x-plane would have between windows and linux. Now if only ati dirvers weren't so crappy... :(
Hit me up on Steam!
A really annoying sig used to be here
v4moose

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby brimlad » 7 Mar 13, 6:18 am

v4moose wrote:main reason was to see the performance difference x-plane would have between windows and linux. Now if only ati dirvers weren't so crappy... :(
I also tried xplane10 on redhat and it did run better just didn't look as good as windows, mainly the clouds were poorly rendered and yes amd drivers for linux could be much better. throw them some money Gabe, please.
(i7 930@3.6 x58ud7 24gbhyperx 7970x2 S27a950d)ClanPwRPlaY
brimlad

Game Admin

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 7 Mar 13, 9:38 am

Currently installing ubuntu 12.10, man talk about slick! Worlds different to the last time which might have been dapper drake... installing atm... are the linux/ubunto forums still the places to go for noobs or has someone got a fairly foolproof noob guide?

Steams inferior catalogue for linux is a bit disheartening but luckily it has more than a few games that i already own.... plus it may give me a reason to hit up tf2....

Also great comments thus far guys, good to know we arent a windows exclusive offering. I would have hit another distro but valve has given ubunto the thumbs up so will stick with this for the time...
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby Katamara » 7 Mar 13, 11:33 am

I'm going Ubuntu once I get my new rigs. I'll be turning the old box into a linux server and I will be adding Steam as a back-up for gaming.

I admit I'm excited to see how it goes :D It's been a long time since I had a linux box, I'm sure everything has changed.
Katamara

Padawan

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 7 Mar 13, 2:51 pm

So had an interesting morning...

The laptop i'm using for this is an aged Toshiba A100 with a ram upgrade to 2gb and a new screen and upgraded wireless card... So its nothing spesh but my old uni workhorse of all 1.86ghz core duo (nope not core2duo, core duo so no 64bit for me)

The install and windows wipe took less than an hour, which gave me basic 12.10 ubuntu and a very laggy screen. The install of ubuntu is way more professional, and i think quicker than a win7 install would take. Granted its still a hdd and not an ssd and when i installed win7 last it was ultimate, and not basic or home pro like i should have...

For those temped or not knowing, ubuntu can live boot from disc, so you can setup to dual boot or wipe entirely, or just play to see how it feels. There is no need for authentication (bit more on that later) and no internet required until you get it all installed. Which is nice. You will also setup your username and passwords here, dont forget them, you will need them.

afterall you have a normal OS screen, mine has oriented the dashboard on the left hand side of the screen, here i was looking for two things, an access to terminal and ubuntu's nifty software center.

Terminal isnt readily accessable, to find it hit the dash home button with its ubuntu symbol and type in terminal, I have been using X Term, just good ole Terminal will do fine, but you can pin Xterm to the dashboard for handy clicking and using, and none of that keyboard shortcut bs....
FYI Terminal is about the handiest thing, you can do everything in it, you just have to know the right commands, which will lead to you having to input your password for user rights (uac for linux) before doing its merry thing...

Once i got xterm sorted i moved onto the Ubuntu Software Center, which brought about my lack of internet which i had to setup, since im using wireless here, it was a few clicks away, as ubuntu had found and installed what it required for the wireless to work, nice and easy. Following connectivity you may have to sign into USC inorder for it to track and recommend products for you, pretty similar to itunes/android market place.

Im a graphics person and so, my next point to call was to check that the system has properly recognised that my gpu is in fact there and working, previously this has been an issue as nvidia and AMD linux drivers werent the easiest things to work with. Times have changed and you can readily download and install the drivers for nvidia (i am hearing AMD's support is a tad sketch, but functional) this led me to my first commands via terminal and the reboot to go along with it.

Mostly everything you will do on linux has already been done, and probably atleast in 6 different was, as such the internet is your greatest tool, knowing this, for nvidia drivers i hit up google and came up with THIS result, which delightfully worked for me, I'll add together all the coding at the bottom of the page in a hidden, but for the nvidia drivers download and installation all respect to MANIVANNAN over at http://www.howopensource.com

Upon install and update i was greeted with my first error, nvidia control panel wasnt happy, this was via the command 'sudo nvidia-settings' This would bring up the installed nvidia control panel but the issue it was having was looking for settings, all this required was a reboot 'sudo reboot' and the system was able to identify the mighty Geforce Go 7300...

next was onto grabbing steam itself and beginning the download and installation. so back to the USC to grab steam. Upon download from the internets, and hitting the install button i came across the next problem, steam could not install due to not being able to find or have installed the following package: jockey-common

Thus back to internets and this time,the helpful steam forums where user "[dirrty]gsharp" points out the way to obtain this package (again, check the hidden!)

greatful awesome, steam is installing! hurray!

next is the sign in and all the fun times of getting steam to accept my username and password and authenticate the system, until finally, that familiar screen...

Im currently downloading beathazard and tf2 to give them a whirl, im not aiming for super duper playability but if it works, it works.

<3

It was a lot less daunting than i expected, ubuntu has been polished a whole lot since i last dipped my toe in, and im glad to say, its a whole lot refreshing to be able to do things a bit more simply. The USC is pretty interesting, just going to have to find the things i need and a few more (like a media player and wireshark ;)

The more hardcore version for those looking for a bit more can be found on the ubuntu/valve wiki

Hidden: show
The following is from howopensource.com props to manivannan, this is for Ubuntu 12.10

the following commands add PPA to ubuntu, update and install nvidia drivers via terminal, you will need your password and the ability to hit the y key and enter
Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

sudo nvidia-xconfig

sudo nvidia-settings

sudo reboot

If you get an error regarding xconfig or settings files not being located, try a reboot and then use 'sudo nvidia-settings' again

AMD/ATI users there is a similar way of doing things and some pretty great documentation out there, just have a look around for it

Next was the steam install

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install jockey-common

running this will allow you to finish off the good ole click to install via the USC for steam.

<3
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby diamondd » 7 Mar 13, 5:41 pm

man, you're so with it on hardware I just kind of assumed you'd already be Linux nut :P

glad its been smooth sailing, if Unity seems a bit gimpy I highly recommend GNOME Shell for a similar but way better experience. Openbox is my other favourite for a very simple and very functional WM.
diamondd

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 8 Mar 13, 7:48 am

Yes im not overly fussed with the non-subtle animations, from memory gnome was a bit more easy to tweak also...

I have dabbled with inux in the past but mainly use it for a boot up stress testing and 'everything ok?' platform, just been a while actually using it as an actual OS...

Beathazard works fine, but it also works on everything, might have to wrangle a tf2 download at some point... see if the ol' girl can handle it...
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby v4moose » 6 May 13, 11:44 pm

anyone know how to fix this problem?

I get the error on the right when steam starts. So it thinks i'm not using 'direct rendering'

I fire up the nvidia control settings - and it clearly states that direct rendering is running.

Having a look at the URL provided
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -EYZB-7457.

it mentions something that you can have a 32bit or 64bit version of glxinfo... i'm not sure what i'm running.

other general information i can think of
I'm using the latest proprietary driver from the nvidia website (not chosen in software sources) 319.17
running Mint Cinnamon 64-bit - macbook pro mid 2009, geforce 9600m GT 512mb, dual booting. (though i use linux 99%)
i had to modify the grub with 'nomodeset' in order to be able to start the x.server - though once I'm actually in Cinnamon everything seems to be fine.

I havn't atually played a game on it yet, currently downloading portal to see how performance is.

any ideas?
Hit me up on Steam!
A really annoying sig used to be here
v4moose

1337 p0st3r

Next

Return to Tech Chat