Defiance

Forum for the discussions of all things media related

Defiance

Unread postby Baskerville » 2 Mar 13, 2:46 am

Grant Bowler trying to do his American accent.
Baskerville

1337 p0st3r

Re: Defiance

Unread postby Nekosan » 2 Mar 13, 6:50 am

Mechs + Julie Benz....

Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Baskerville » 2 Mar 13, 1:54 pm

Also massive space explosions in slow motion.
Baskerville

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Mythor » 2 Mar 13, 2:20 pm

Also a game. 8-)
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Mythor

TF2 Admin

Unread postby Yurtles » 2 Mar 13, 3:26 pm

Hopefully that CGI isn't all blown in the first episode as story establishment stuff.

And I feel sorry for the people making the game, they couldn't have a more solid deadline. I bet there's some crazy hours going into it.
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Anon. E. Moose » 4 Mar 13, 9:16 am

The huge Firefly/Farscape vibe I get from the trailer has me excited, but SyFy hasn't exactly had the best record recently with it's TV shows. If it lasts more than a season I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Steam: Shpleboy
Minecraft: LogicalHero
Origin: LogicalHero
Has a significantly better avatar than lee.
Anon. E. Moose

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby DarkMellie » 19 Mar 13, 7:21 pm

I'll definitely watch the first few eps, something tells me it aint gonna stick though.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Mythor » 1 Apr 13, 5:23 pm

The first 14 minutes of the show have been posted on the SyFy website. You might be able to watch it here, or it might be geoblocked for you.

Did anyone get time to play the game in any of the beta weekends? Going to pick it up on release?
I've been playing it a lot and with the NDA drop I finally got to write about it. Read the whole thing here: http://www.playerattack.com/news/2013/0 ... fiance-pc/
tl;dr: It's lots of shooty fun. :)
Mythor

TF2 Admin

Unread postby Baskerville » 16 Apr 13, 9:17 pm

Hidden: show
Anyone spot the "totally awesome" snakey's the turncoat dude was pulling off?
Baskerville

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Nekosan » 16 Apr 13, 10:49 pm

Thoughts on the premiere:

I'm not really impressed TBH, it wasn't BAD but there just wasn't any spark to it for me. The costumes and aliens etc were alright but not amazing and all the outside scenes were either just in the forest or rather conspicuous CG while driving.

I'm still not sure what the hook was meant to be, what's meant to make me watch next week? The only thing slightly interesting was the possibility that the main character could have been separated from his parents and will try to find them but they didn't really establish that train of thought at all.

It seemed like there wasn't really any conflict for the 2 main characters, they ended up in a pretty sweet position. St Louis(defiance) seems to be a little TOO sweet IMO, hopefully they don't fall into the Terra Nova trap of family drama set in mildly sci-fi setting rather than doing a really decent story.

Time will tell I guess, i'll probs keep watching because all the females in the show are smokin :lol:
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby SaNE » 17 Apr 13, 3:13 am

Nekosan wrote:Thoughts on the premiere:

I'm not really impressed TBH, it wasn't BAD but there just wasn't any spark to it for me. The costumes and aliens etc were alright but not amazing and all the outside scenes were either just in the forest or rather conspicuous CG while driving.

I'm still not sure what the hook was meant to be, what's meant to make me watch next week? The only thing slightly interesting was the possibility that the main character could have been separated from his parents and will try to find them but they didn't really establish that train of thought at all.

It seemed like there wasn't really any conflict for the 2 main characters, they ended up in a pretty sweet position. St Louis(defiance) seems to be a little TOO sweet IMO, hopefully they don't fall into the Terra Nova trap of family drama set in mildly sci-fi setting rather than doing a really decent story.

Time will tell I guess, i'll probs keep watching because all the females in the show are smokin :lol:

I had the same feeling of Terra Nova (Being that they're now the Sheriff of a protected town/city/place) but at least Terra had far better sets and graphics. It's certainly doesn't look like a **** show but for something that they've spent a lot of money along with the integration of an MMO, I didn't expect to see CG that looked like it was rendered real time on an 360...

I am interested in an explanation of why the ships came and how they were destroyed in the first place. So far I can only guess that the robot/white honeycomb people were the race that make/ran/piloted the ships and they were transporting the different species for some reason..? Then there's the 'world destroyers' which fit in somewhere but with how easy they were defeated I don't see how they could have destroyed worlds, they had mechs but it only took a single bullet from run of the mill projectile weapons to kill them.

It was more interesting than Game of The long and boring conversations.
Steam - Battlelog - X-Fire - "If you're not hurting somebody's feelings, you're losing"
SaNE

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Baskerville » 17 Apr 13, 9:38 am

The whole thing seemed a bit light hearted to me. I don't mind the two main characters and there story is interesting but the whole town battle thing seemed like more of a joke than a serious thing. Including that silly CG chase scene was unnecessary, I mean they did believable spaceships arriving near earth but a car driving off was too much hassle.

I hope it doesn't turn into a Eureka scenario with a baddie of the week kind of thing.
Baskerville

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Mythor » 17 Apr 13, 10:59 am

SaNE wrote:
I am interested in an explanation of why the ships came and how they were destroyed in the first place. So far I can only guess that the robot/white honeycomb people were the race that make/ran/piloted the ships and they were transporting the different species for some reason..? Then there's the 'world destroyers' which fit in somewhere but with how easy they were defeated I don't see how they could have destroyed worlds, they had mechs but it only took a single bullet from run of the mill projectile weapons to kill them.

Spoilers learned from playing the game to explain some of the tv show stuff. Cutting in case it's explained later in the series, which is likely to be the case.
Anyway...
The Votanis Collective is/was an alliance of alien races from a single star system that fled en-masse after their system collided with another star. The robot/honeycomb people are the Indogene and created the huge arks you see arriving at Earth. They carried survivors from six of the species, with some of the Volge smuggled aboard by person/s unknown.
The Votans thought Earth was uninhabited but they arrived and found humanity everywhere, eventually negotiating a small settlement and working towards getting the remaining population on the arks out of hypersleep and settled on the planet.

Humanity being humanity, fighting broke out and the Pale Wars started, which you would have heard a little about on the show. The Pale Wars culminated in the arks being destroyed - nobody knows if it was a human or Votan at fault - and raining down debris across the planet. Some of that debris included terraforming technology that would have been used in a controlled manner but since it was just smashed into the ground, things went very wrong.

The Volge are a race of automatons and are hated by humans and Votan alike. But they're not any more advanced, just very militarily inclined. Getting the jump on them still gives you a huge advantage.

And just regular show spoilers...
The bioman Nolan fights in Datak's fight club was created to fight in the Pale Wars. Many of the weapons may look like standard Earth tech but a lot of it has been upgraded from the modern versions or enhanced with Votan tech. Most of the Volge took multiple shots to put down, except the one who copped a point blank shotgun blast in the back and some of the ones Nolan put down with his fancy pistol.
What ultimately did them in though was the huge blast from the sphere Nolan retrieved from the ark. Without that the Volge would ultimately have won as the tide was already turning in their favour.
Mythor

TF2 Admin

Unread postby Slazza » 17 Apr 13, 11:47 am

Didn't really like the pilot, I felt that it was a bit too random and the pacing was off.

Hopefully it picks up after a few episodes.
Slazza

Game Admin

Unread postby jmcev » 17 Apr 13, 12:08 pm

was average. definitely missing a clinching factor.
jmcev

Story Teller

Next

Return to Movies, TV, Books and Music