space top 3d

Forum for Technical discussions

space top 3d

Unread postby brimlad » 28 Feb 13, 7:16 am

interesting development for the desktop pc, essentially a see through screen that allows you to manipulate 3d objects with your hands; recently unveiled at TED
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21603323
(i7 930@3.6 x58ud7 24gbhyperx 7970x2 S27a950d)ClanPwRPlaY
brimlad

Game Admin

Re: space top 3d

Unread postby no-gun » 28 Feb 13, 10:37 am

Pretty nifty, I can see this being implemented in the real world with google glass to allow augmented reality on a whole new level... just need some cameras floating around :P
no-gun

Game Admin

Location: Univery, Milky Way, Solaris, Earth, Australia, Melbourne

Unread postby brimlad » 28 Feb 13, 11:09 am

what I've been thinking this morning is the space top as a control panel/sim control and then a spherical 3d projection around you for the environment. place the space top and the user on an actuated platform that swivels and moves to the projection and you have a pretty good sim room; star citizen or dcs comes to mind.
It would mean you could design some really funky controls without the need to build the hardware and easily swap controls for different sims/games.
brimlad

Game Admin

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 28 Feb 13, 3:11 pm

I think i seen this earlier, or somewhere else before, might have been when microsoft backed it...

I can see this being used to a great degree in the CAD field, or with generating detailed content as a mouse/graf pad arent the best for intricate design...

would be incredible to hook one of these up to a 3d printer, model it in virtual, tinker it and print it....
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby MrMoilT » 6 Mar 13, 8:52 am

brimlad wrote:what I've been thinking this morning is the space top as a control panel/sim control and then a spherical 3d projection around you for the environment. place the space top and the user on an actuated platform that swivels and moves to the projection and you have a pretty good sim room; star citizen or dcs comes to mind.
It would mean you could design some really funky controls without the need to build the hardware and easily swap controls for different sims/games.

Well then Brimlad I sure you could build that your self especially after making your own motion sensor glasses for Arma :o

And we need step by step instructions on the PwR forums please lol....

AriseAbove
MrMoilT

Padawan

Unread postby brimlad » 7 Mar 13, 6:16 am

beyond my skills MrMoilt, that needs some serious software programming.
and I did actually buy trackir last year mainly because 6dof was a tad buggy in freetrack, works great in 2 and 4dof, and dcs deserves/needs consistent head tracking.
brimlad

Game Admin

Return to Tech Chat