PS4 discussion thread

Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony consoles chat!

Re: PS4 discussion thread

Unread postby Dr Tia » 22 Feb 13, 8:55 pm

I bought a PS3 about 6 years ago its served me well for what I needed it to do, but I had to wait till the price came down a bit to buy one. I wonder if Sony went with a volume price would they do better.?
Dr Tia

Padawan

Unread postby psychofruiterer » 22 Feb 13, 9:00 pm

If you look at sony's smart tv stuff, i would bet the ps1,ps2,ps3 games available via streaming on ps4 will be a subscription service.
A bazillion games with all different prices seems less likely than just paying by the month.
psychofruiterer

Padawan

Unread postby PalZer0 » 23 Feb 13, 8:48 am

psychofruiterer wrote:If you look at sony's smart tv stuff, i would bet the ps1,ps2,ps3 games available via streaming on ps4 will be a subscription service.
A bazillion games with all different prices seems less likely than just paying by the month.

Surprised they didn't do that with the original PSN.
DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

Twitter | Facebook | Steam | Xfire | Raptr
3DS Friend Code: 5386-8114-8658
PalZer0

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby skitzor » 23 Feb 13, 8:52 am

I really don't see it being $900 on release. it really limits the market, and there's not much point. I think quite a bit issue with the PS3 release was with the blu ray components, which aren't going to be a problem this time around. there doesn't seem to be anything ultra-special in the hardware, so it should be relatively cheap to manufacture. they might even be able to sell it at a profit (!).
skitzor

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Mekon » 23 Feb 13, 9:24 am

skitzor wrote:I really don't see it being $900 on release.

Nor do I unless they seriously crank up the "Australia Tax"... which did happen for the PS3, mind you. :/

Of course there hasn't been an official announcement, but a variety of sources price it lower than the PS3:

Industry sources and leaked internal documents suggest that Sony is considering pricing the new device at about £300, more than £100 cheaper than the starting cost of its predecessor, the PlayStation 3.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/ ... 691304.ece

NB: £300 = 444 AUD

Japanese national newspaper Asahi Shimbun claimed earlier this month that Sony has internally set the PS4 price above 40,000 yen (£278 / $430 at current exchange rates).

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-price-son ... ering-300/

NB: 40,000 Yen = 414 AUD

Our source—the same reliable source who back in early 2012 told us the codename for Sony's next console and the codename for Microsoft's next console—tells us that there are two models planned for the new machine, and that pricing won't be announced until later this year, possibly around E3. The current plan, our source says, is to release them at $429 and $529, but that could change.

http://kotaku.com/5985356

NB: 429 USD = 415 AUD and 529 USD = 513 AUD

Baird Equity Research says the new console hardware will be sold for $350-$400 in autumn, right in time for the Christmas shopping season that's sure to bring a slew of sales to each company. The research firm's sources have spent CES "with a number of companies involved in video game development and distribution" for the basis of its report.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49314/x ... -this-fall

Seems a little low-ball compared to other estimates.

tldr: Scuttlebutt says $415 to $515 (pre-Australia Tax)
Mekon

I Draw Sustenance From Destroying Your Hyperbole

Unread postby PalZer0 » 24 Feb 13, 1:27 pm

Sony filed a patent that tries to combat piracy by checking load times.

This could very well be used in the PS4.
DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

Twitter | Facebook | Steam | Xfire | Raptr
3DS Friend Code: 5386-8114-8658
PalZer0

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Dr Tia » 24 Feb 13, 2:25 pm

Dr Tia

Padawan

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 25 Feb 13, 5:31 am

It's just a place holder...
People often say "Dodger, are you this weird in the real world?"

I can unicycle while playing ukulele.

You be the judge.
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Mekon » 26 Feb 13, 9:13 am

Mekon wrote:
PalZer0 wrote:Diablo 3 being on the PS4 has got me a bit concerned re: always online.

Why would they completely rewrite the design of the game for PS4? Stands to reason it would still be linked with the Blizzard servers. Happy to be proven wrong [...]

I have been proven wrong. :oops:
Mekon

Unread postby exe3 » 26 Feb 13, 2:50 pm

Mekon wrote:
skitzor wrote:I really don't see it being $900 on release.

Nor do I unless they seriously crank up the "Australia Tax"... which did happen for the PS3, mind you. :/

Wasn't the PS3 released back when the exchange rate was 0.6 or something? Thus any differences in price were a case of differences in currency rather than any Australia Tax?
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Mekon » 26 Feb 13, 2:56 pm

exe3 wrote:Wasn't the PS3 released back when the exchange rate was 0.6 or something?

True.

edit: ~0.8 exchange rate (in March 2007).

exe3 wrote:Thus any differences in price were a case of differences in currency rather than any Australia Tax?

It was selling for 700 AUD here (same ballpark price in the UK at the time), which equates to 560 USD.

It was selling for 400 USD in the States (ie. 500 AUD). That's still a $200 "Australia Tax" (or a 40% markup)...

edit: Dunno where I got those prices from... but they aren't correct (see below). :)
Last edited by Mekon on 26 Feb 13, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mekon

Unread postby exe3 » 26 Feb 13, 3:22 pm

I thought the 60gig version launched at $600 US and $1000 AU though that would still leave a $250 Australia Tax. It makes me sad over what the PS4 might launch at. :(
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Mekon » 26 Feb 13, 3:28 pm

You might be right, I don't really recall... 6 years is a long time. :P

edit: Yup, right you are:

999 AUD for the Australian 60GB launch model (with 1 PS2 chip and emulation of the other)
599 USD for the US 60GB launch model (with both PS2 chips)... or 750 AUD.

So yeah, 250 AUD "tax" (or a 33.3% markup).

Assuming a 500 USD launch price, that would equate to 650 AUD with the same markup (given today's exchange rates).
Mekon

Unread postby NoobyMcNoobnoob » 26 Feb 13, 3:43 pm

Ill just do the same thing as last time, buy it the day after it comes out (bugger ppl waiting in lines at night a stuff), will wait and see about the new xbox ( dont like that having to buy hdd, wireless adapter, recharger kit, ect then they claimed to be cheaper), im even thinking about the wii u, but thats only when im drunk, or waitng on steam updates or somthing. Main think is my ps1,2,3 are still going strong, while im on my 3rd 360 system, hopefully we wont see anymore rrd or scratched cd on the xbox side but i might hold out for 6 months before i jump into it again. Meanwhile up console speccs can only mean good things across the board for all games, but then again i might have to start looking at upgrading my computer finnally becuase of that, thank **** im finnaly back off the dole line and into the work force so i have spare money for all these now.
NoobyMcNoobnoob

Regular

Previous

Return to Console Chat