Flight tips + should I invest in a joystick?

Flight tips + should I invest in a joystick?

Unread postby TheRealFalcon » 12 Feb 13, 12:24 am

Hi guys,

I'd just like some hints and tips on flying, particularly with locking on to targets in single-seater jets.
In addition, to those who use joysticks is it worth it? Can you adjust throttle with precision or is it forward/backward like keyboard?
If you can, recommend me a joystick (preferably sub $100)

Thanks for your help,
Falcon
TheRealFalcon

n00bie

Re: Flight tips + should I invest in a joystick?

Unread postby Tonmeister. » 12 Feb 13, 12:56 am

I recommend a Saitek 52pro with throttle. Don't EVER get a logitec stick. You'll end up regretting it the day you plug it in. But for $100 thats all you'll get unfortunately, unless you get lucky on ebay
Tonmeister.

Padawan

Unread postby TheRealFalcon » 12 Feb 13, 4:23 pm

Looks like a good stick.
For the sake of it, what would you recommend with a more generous budget?
TheRealFalcon

n00bie

Unread postby Mearehear » 12 Feb 13, 4:42 pm

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=16084

:D ..one day I will find a valid reason to throw down money on one of these!
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby Disco LT » 12 Feb 13, 4:58 pm

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/pr ... /INLOG3004

I used this joystick with great success in Battlefield games, it's not great but it will get the job done :)
Disco LT

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Ashigaru » 12 Feb 13, 5:21 pm

I used the same joystick, unplugged it and used the keys instead :/ I just couldn't be arsed setting it up to be honest...
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby Goshawk » 12 Feb 13, 5:50 pm

Just make sure to un-bind "Turn Left" and "Turn Right" in your aircraft control menu.
Goshawk

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Tigz » 12 Feb 13, 8:34 pm

Tonmeister. wrote: Don't EVER get a logitec stick.

Why not?
I have had a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for at least the last 5 years and I have never had any nasty thought's at all about it.
I have been an avid player of Microsoft Flight Sim X, il 2 sturmovik, il2 1946 and Cliffs of Dover since they all have been released and this joystick has done it all with ease, accuracy and feel.

With 2 trigger buttons, 10 other programmable buttons, sliding throttle, twist handle for rudder control and 8 way top switch, I fail to grasp what else one needs in a joystick.

All for no more than $40.

If you dont use rudder pedals and Force Feed Back, you dont need any other 'bigger, better' joystick.
Tigz

Padawan

Unread postby Tonmeister. » 12 Feb 13, 8:50 pm

I bought two logitech sticks in the past before biting the bullet and getting the X52pro. My main issue with both sticks, was they constantly shifted from their calibration point. After a quick search I found this to be a well documented issue with the sticks. But that was my experience with 'em. Sure I drool over the X65 and thustmaster, but I don't buy into the bigger better argument.
Tonmeister.

Padawan

Unread postby TheRealFalcon » 14 Feb 13, 2:50 pm

Tigz wrote:Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

What are your settings for this stick?
Also, does the throttle slide work incrementally or is it just accelerate/decelerate/no-action?
At $40 it's sounding hard to beat, but i'd want to be able to quickly plug in the settings and go than stuff around figuring it all out.
TheRealFalcon

n00bie

Unread postby Tigz » 14 Feb 13, 3:35 pm

TheRealFalcon wrote:

Also, does the throttle slide work incrementally or is it just accelerate/decelerate/no-action?
At $40 it's sounding hard to beat, but i'd want to be able to quickly plug in the settings and go than stuff around figuring it all out.

ARMA has aircraft but is nowhere near a proper flight sim. So plug it in, assign your buttons and off you go.
Throttle is incremental.

If your an IL2 freak like myself......this is your bible here.

I have no idea if ARMA configs can be tweaked for better control with the stick. Even if it could there would be no point. The maps in ARMA are so small that having an aircraft option in game is almost pointless. (fixed wing that is....imo)
Tigz

Padawan

Unread postby brimlad » 14 Feb 13, 4:24 pm

Tigz wrote: ARMA has aircraft but is nowhere near a proper flight sim. So plug it in, assign your buttons and off you go.
Throttle is incremental.
have to agree with Tigz, if it's only for arma then the logitech pro is ideal. when I play arma2 I do actually swap out my x52pro gear for that logi as it seems to work so much better that the full flight gear, and very straight forward to configure.
(i7 930@3.6 x58ud7 24gbhyperx 7970x2 S27a950d)ClanPwRPlaY
brimlad

Game Admin

Unread postby Goshawk » 14 Feb 13, 8:36 pm

Tigz wrote:
TheRealFalcon wrote:

ARMA has aircraft but is nowhere near a proper flight sim. So plug it in, assign your buttons and off you go.
Throttle is incremental.

If your an IL2 freak like myself......this is your bible here.

I have no idea if ARMA configs can be tweaked for better control with the stick. Even if it could there would be no point. The maps in ARMA are so small that having an aircraft option in game is almost pointless. (fixed wing that is....imo)

Throttle is analogue provided you have a slider on your joystick. With my X-52 I can get very very precise altitude control.
The trick is to make sure you're controls are bound correctly. Now that I've got my controls set up perfectly I don't ever have to take my hands off the controls unless I want to open my map. Targeting, freelook (without trackIR) gear, flaps, manual fire and even VOIP are all done via my X-52.

It's fooking sweet. :D
Goshawk

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby brimlad » 15 Feb 13, 8:07 am

TheRealFalcon wrote:

the throttle is incremental and works very well in arma2, you can land a chopper like a feather.
The stick does lack a few buttons but every thing you need to fly a chopper or plane is easily mapped to the buttons on the base of the stick. You can also easily move the controller to the side if you want to get on the ground and do some combat using the keyboard and mouse.
Money better spent on trackir, that really delivers a great gaming/flying experience in arma2.
(i7 930@3.6 x58ud7 24gbhyperx 7970x2 S27a950d)ClanPwRPlaY
brimlad

Game Admin

Return to ArmA