Official - J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars VII

Forum for the discussions of all things media related

Re: Official - J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars VII

Unread postby Bicketybam » 27 Jan 13, 9:53 am

Chucky wrote:I am all for the prequels as well, Sure I prefer the originals but I don't get the hate on the prequels or hate on Jar Jar bit (other than his annoying voice). I just enjoyed the movies for what they are, great sci fi films, and I can't say I have a single complaint.

I'm the same way. I will say that Empire has a deeper meaning to me as it was one of the first movies I saw as a kid at the theatre on my own (with friends but without adult supervision), so it will always be special that way.

Sathias wrote:Has anyone tried watching the movies in Machete Order?

Basically you watch the films in this order

• IV: A New Hope
  • V: The Empire Strikes Back
  • II: Attack of the Clones
  • III: Revenge of the Sith
  • VI: Return of the Jedi

The blog post explains the reasons why quite well, including why to skip Episode I all together.

His reasoning works well, except I still like Episode I if not just to help people see how awesome the Emperor is!

If he was a wedding planner you just know nothing would go wrong (other then the obscure chance of someone intentionally trying to break up your wedding) as he planned everything so far in advance. [ Btw I used that analogy of a wedding planner because lately I've been watching Wedding Band and it rocks! ] :p

I also had no problem with Jar Jar (take him out and what will people whine about next?) or the pod races or basically anything in the movie.

What i do have a problem with is how some "fans" feel they have a right to tell Lucas how the story should have been... wtf? Has not the whole story come from his imagination? It's his story, he gets to tell it how he wants and you either like it or don't like it but you don't get to say that his vision is wrong, it's just not to your liking.

From that blog that Sath posted, I saw this :

Next time you want to introduce someone to Star Wars for the first time...

Is that even possible? Someone that hasn't seen Star Wars (other then young kids)? ;)

I don't really care if J.J is making it or not, as long as the story is interesting. I will say though.. bring on the Star Wars lens flare!
ImageImage
" " - Silent Bob

Gamers can really come across with a pathetically huge sense of self entitlement at times
Bicketybam

Senior TF2 Admin

Unread postby skitzor » 27 Jan 13, 10:09 am

Nekosan wrote:Star Trek was great, the main problem with Abrams is that he has a tendency to just drop crumbs rather than tell an enjoyable story.

he has definitely done some stuff as you describe. Lost, Revolution and Super 8 come to mind. however he has done other stuff where everything is relatively straight, for example Star Trek and Armageddon. he has the ability to work with both, and considering that SW in the past has been relatively straight, hopefully he and the writer keep that up. I personally enjoy both kinds of style, but can see how some people don't like the more mysterious stuff.
skitzor

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Novocaine » 27 Jan 13, 10:58 am

Bad news for me, because it could mean less time spent on Trek. I couldn't give a **** about new star wars.
PLAYGUUU AAHHHH!
Novocaine

Unread postby ComradeHello » 27 Jan 13, 12:47 pm

Was really hoping Peter Jackson would tackle this.
Or even a Paul greengrass.

J.J is a fanboy and i think it will play against him. Let the studio handle the ( you have to have this for the fanboys ) influence and grab a director confident enough and detatched enough to say "**** you thats dumb."

If J.J is pushed into PG-13 territory and heavily pressured by fanboy screams and studio monetary expectation. I dont expect anything other then more standard star wars branded nonsense.

I would have preffered Drew Karpyshyn to write or even direct. Kotor is still to this date in my opinion far superior to any movie.
ComradeHello

Player

Unread postby Ralph Wiggum » 27 Jan 13, 12:56 pm

I think you can debate till the cows come home about who could do a better job, but ultimately I think there are worse directors out there they could've given the gig to. Like Michael Bay. Or some unknown random dude.
Ralph Wiggum

Unread postby Mythor » 27 Jan 13, 1:22 pm

ComradeHello wrote:If J.J is pushed into PG-13 territory and heavily pressured by fanboy screams and studio monetary expectation.
Pushed into? Revenge of the Sith was PG-13. That's about where films and books in the franchise should be. A lot of people die or get limbs chopped off, drugs get smuggled, slavery is depicted, etc. Compromises to get it into PG should be the concern.

"Fanboys" isn't the term for fans you disagree with.
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Mythor

TF2 Admin

Unread postby Nekosan » 27 Jan 13, 2:04 pm

Auld wrote:Wondering if they'll use the Timothy Zahn Star Wars novels as inspiration for the new trilogy.

Hopefully, they were decent enough.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby ComradeHello » 27 Jan 13, 3:32 pm

[quote][/quot PG-13. That's about where films and books in the franchise should bee]

why should it remain here ? Because the prequel series was so terrific ? So plot devices and comedic devices like jar jar binks are there to satisfy mindless audiences and or for young teenage boys ? I dont understand. The only reason i can think of is continuity, or being true to the "spirit of Star Wars"
ComradeHello

Player

Unread postby lordkabab » 27 Jan 13, 3:50 pm

ComradeHello wrote:Was really hoping Peter Jackson would tackle this.

Please no because it would be too long of a movie then.

And that would be before the extended release.
lordkabab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby exe3 » 28 Jan 13, 9:43 am

So sick of the mindless and mostly groundless prequel hate. Just because they're not the movies you wanted (namely copy/paste jobs of the originals) doesn't mean they're bad in the slightest except for JarJar and young Anakin's utter inability to act.

Unsure how I feel about this as I haven't been overly keen on more Star Wars movies in the first place. The expanded universe is a great place to go if you want more Star Wars. I always found the movies to be Lucas's babies telling the small story he wanted to tell in this vast world and for the movie part of the franchise that should have been it.

I guess there won't be a Star Trek 3, or at least not one by Abrams.

/edit

I'll admit though, the points made for the Machete order are very good, helps that they're not filled with prequel hate but instead well reasoned explanations for why Ep1 isn't relevant and I can't help but agree in some ways though I still for the most part think Ep1 is entertaining.
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Nightstaar » 28 Jan 13, 1:41 pm

Ep1 is my favourite.

>_>
Nightstaar

Story Teller

Unread postby Nekosan » 28 Jan 13, 10:38 pm

Why people would want Peter Jackson to direct anything is totally beyond me, outside of the Tolkien stuff and The Frighteners all of his movies have been total ****. In fact I watched "The Lovely Bones" today and it was hands down one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Sathias » 29 Jan 13, 6:40 am

Nekosan wrote:Why people would want Peter Jackson to direct anything is totally beyond me, outside of the Tolkien stuff and The Frighteners all of his movies have been total ****. In fact I watched "The Lovely Bones" today and it was hands down one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

"Braindead" is the bomb :mrgreen:

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Robert Anton Wilson
Sathias

Not allowed to leave

Unread postby Mekon » 29 Jan 13, 6:46 am

Meet the Feebles was less of a travesty than his Lord of the Rings pastiches (and pretty damn funny to boot). :)
Mekon

I Draw Sustenance From Destroying Your Hyperbole

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 29 Jan 13, 9:27 am

Yea not a fan of this at all.

I just think they should let it alone, but hey, it makes money so why not... having the guy from ESB has got me tho... will still go see 'em but will be a little hesitant.... atleast until the scrolly text and music cuts in
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, TV, Books and Music