DCS World and Flaming Cliffs Discussion Thread

Re: DCS World and Flaming Cliffs Discussion Thread

Unread postby lordkabab » 6 Feb 13, 12:52 am

What hands? I can't see myself using my left hand for mouse or joy.

Maybe left on Joy, don't know yet.
lordkabab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Mearehear » 6 Feb 13, 12:55 am

I use my left hand on the stick and right on the mouse, so the mouselook feels like looking in any game, and i find the left hand very natural on the stick
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby Disco LT » 6 Feb 13, 9:25 am

Finally, quality not as high as I'd like but I'm not going to re render it and re upload it :lol:
Disco LT

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby DarkMellie » 6 Feb 13, 1:56 pm

EDIT: Sound didn't work on my mobile, I can hear it all fine now.

My favourite bit would have been at the end when I uncaged my Aim-9 and got a lock... you were really confused and said "what's that noise" just as my missile hit your engine, it was hilarious from my end!

(note: I only did that because the server was restarting in a few minutes, this is not normally how Mellie's DCS Pilot School is run!)
ImageImage
GoN TS Channel: Mellie's Random Games
Channel Password: gonmellie
DarkMellie

Unread postby lordkabab » 6 Feb 13, 2:06 pm

Mmm great video! I look forward to my lesson. XD

Also, I'm thinking I will probably just have a checklist for start-up until I memorize it.
lordkabab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby DarkMellie » 6 Feb 13, 4:44 pm

Long post, but explaining stuff like this is part of my own continuing learning, you can never think about the basics enough! As I refine my understanding, so too should I be able to explain things more simply... as you can see below, I have a long way to go!

Checklists are good, there are many ways to start the aircraft. With Disco's checklist, his said to start the fuelpumps first, but for me that's the second step.

Some will tell you to wait until the engines are running and stable before starting up your CDU/CICU, but I usually do that immediately after switching on the right engine (only because alignment is the longest part of start-up so the sooner that's up the better).

Next up, Disco, landing! Start-up and take-off are the two most basic actions you can take. As simple as the landing procedures are (even ILS/TACAN are really simple to use) it's still something that takes a lot of practice to do right. We can also look at using Mavericks but for that you're going to need to map switches like I said (China Hat, Coolie Switch, long and short versions of both. Will also need Boat Switch, TMS up short, TMS up long). Once stuff gets more complicated you'll also need full TMS and DMS directions, short and long.

Mav is (in its easiest form where your waypoints already point to general enemy locations and presuming you've turned the MAV seeker on in the MAV page, selected MAVs in your DSMS, your TGP is hot and your master arm is on) is;

----TGP page----
    * China-hat back long (slaves targeting pod {TGP} to current waypoint)
    * Slew (to bring TGP directly onto target)
    * While locating targets, china hat forward short increases magnification while DMS up and down will zoom, china-hat forward short again to reduce magnification
    * Further to locating targets, boat switch forward, back and middle are your BHOT and WHOT and regular camera modes, good for getting targets to stand out from the background
    * Begin Lase once you've linked your target up in the TGP (this will be insert key, same as nosewheel steering when on ground, use lase to ensure you're painting the target and not the known ground elevation behind it)
    * TMS up short (to change to point-tracking mode)
    * TMS up long (to set your target as the Sensor Point of Interest {SPI})
    * Let go of Lase (you can also go into CTRL on the TGP page to set auto-lase, this means you just click it once to turn on and once for off rather than holding it down)
    ----switch to MAV page----
    * China-hat forward long (slaves MAV seeker to the SPI as set in the TGP)
    * Watch the aim-gate (lower left of MAV screen) and tap TMS up-short repeatedly
    * When the crosshairs close, you have a lock, rifle your missile with the bomb key (space on the keyboard I think)
    NOTE: you can fire within the aim-gate at any time and it will most likely hit the target anyway
    * After this you can switch to your next MAV and just slew the camera a little, it will pick up on nearby signatures and lock them as well (remember to TMS up short)
    * You can easily expend all MAVs in a single pass
    * MAVs are fire and forget, you do not need to lase or keep the target in sight, this also allows you to come in low, pop-up, shoot your MAVs at a radar site/launcher then bugger off before the explosion

As I'm sure you can appreciate, all of that takes just a few seconds (except the target finding with the slew, this can be a **** if they're not out in the open) and quickly becomes second nature. MAVs are for me the easiest weapon to deploy after the Gau-8.

EDIT; probably a good idea to explain to basic but important concepts. It can be easy to think of the A-10C as one big working machine but it's actually a big bag of separate entities collaborating to keep it in the sky. Two important terms are SOI and SPI. As with anything I've typed in this post, people should correct me where I've got it wrong.

SOI - Sensor of Interest. This is marked by a strong green border around whichever MFCD is SOI or an asterisk on the lower left of the HUD. You can use coolie hat right/left long to make an MFCD SOI or you can simply press the button on the MFCD twice (so TGP, say, to get to the TGP then that button again to make TGP SOI). The way I think of it is that my HOTAS commands are going to affect the SOI, so if my TGP is SOI then DMS up will zoom, but if my HUD is SOI, DMS up will change my waypoint.

SPI - Sensor Point of Interest. This is a location marked by the pilot that each sensor (left MFCD, right MFCD, HUD) will then communicate with or 'see'. So when I mark a target with TMS up long in the TGP, my Maverick isn't slaving to the actual target, it's simply pointing its seeker head at the location the TGP is pointing to and then attempting to get a lock on whatever is at that location.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Disco LT » 6 Feb 13, 5:55 pm

DarkMellie wrote:EDIT: Sound didn't work on my mobile, I can hear it all fine now.

My favourite bit would have been at the end when I uncaged my Aim-9 and got a lock... you were really confused and said "what's that noise" just as my missile hit your engine, it was hilarious from my end!

(note: I only did that because the server was restarting in a few minutes, this is not normally how Mellie's DCS Pilot School is run!)

Bwaha yeah I heard a half second warning tone that was obviously the plane letting me know you had lit me up, and it was all downhill (literally) from there :lol:

I need to go through it, write my check list, then start practicing startup taxi and take off before I worry too much about landing, give me time! Will need help setting up all the other things you mentioned though at some point :D It was damned fun though.
Disco LT

Unread postby DarkMellie » 6 Feb 13, 6:05 pm

You'll pretty quickly nail start-up and take-off down and a lot of people get to that point and then... just stop. Everything after then requires real commitment and learning. Think of it, start-up is just a squence of buttons that's the same each time, but locating targets and persecuting attacks is different each time and when there's AAA involved (and there always is) it gets REALLY hard.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Disco LT » 6 Feb 13, 6:28 pm

DarkMellie wrote:You'll pretty quickly nail start-up and take-off down and a lot of people get to that point and then... just stop. Everything after then requires real commitment and learning. Think of it, start-up is just a squence of buttons that's the same each time, but locating targets and persecuting attacks is different each time and when there's AAA involved (and there always is) it gets REALLY hard.

Hard.. yes.

But also rewarding, and enjoyable :D
Disco LT

Unread postby DarkMellie » 6 Feb 13, 6:36 pm

Oh god yes, the only other game to scratch that kind of itch was Dark Souls and, at times, ArmA 2. I love a challenge :)
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Disco LT » 6 Feb 13, 7:11 pm

I can't wait :D
Disco LT

Unread postby Tonmeister. » 12 Feb 13, 11:34 pm

interesting stuff. I've been learning the Ka50, which has been fun. Like for the A10, finding targets is damn hard. Unfortunately i've had the tendancy to wander into a wasps nest before realising I'm surrounded by ground targets all taking pot shots at me. moments of pure derp... :/
Tonmeister.

Padawan

Unread postby DarkMellie » 13 Feb 13, 3:56 pm

My problem with the Ka-50 was setting the damn thing in hover, could just never get it to settle! So while I was searching for targets on the shkval, I'd look up and either be 2000 feet up and about to be shot, or dropping like a stone in my own turbulence.

I think the Black Shark is a WAY more intense and difficult vehicle to master than the A-10C. As much as I enjoyed the way it's cannon-fire arced over distance, I just love the Warthogs capabilities so much more.

I'll be flying tonight (after a bit of Dead Space 3) so I hope someone can join me? Disco? Anyone?

Thinking about organising a flight night for DCS in March if anyone's interested. Unsure which server (will ask Cas about getting a GoN one and getting mod rights to its mission list) but it'd be an 8pm start with a fairly simple mission with a strong new pilot focus. Would anyone be interested?
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Tonmeister. » 13 Feb 13, 6:26 pm

I've been looking at the A10 thinking... one day, but in all honesty hats off to those that can fly it. It's quite a complex beast and too daunting for me atm. At least in the Ka50 I can kick back and down some brewskies while in flight and opening the pit door for a better view... just 'cause i can :)

I'd be keen for a March thing, but lets face it I'm pretty c.rap at the A10 atm
Tonmeister.

Padawan

Unread postby DarkMellie » 13 Feb 13, 7:32 pm

A-10, Black Shark, Frogfoot, Eagle.. whatever people want to fly really.

An F-15C night could be great... you only need about 10 key commands to be effective, so that's something we could teach everyone (but you'd need to have bought Flaming Cliffs 3).

Dunno, will post more and get some ideas from people later in the month.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

PreviousNext

Return to PC Gaming Chat