DCS World and Flaming Cliffs Discussion Thread

Forum for Simulation discussion

Moderator: Simulation Admins

Re: DCS World and Flaming Cliffs Discussion Thread

Unread postby InAUGral » 5 Jan 13, 9:39 pm

Mearehear wrote:Gosh it looks so much easier doing the startup with the head tracking.

I cant even imagine playing DCS without my TrackIR but maybe I should just to see how much harder it is.

In my game (DCS World) I have trouble getting custom Zoom in and Out binds to work with my mouse. Previously I had Razers software installed and had a custom macro but I stopped using the program. I cant get the numpad 2 and 3 buttons (of which it defaults to on my mouse) to zoom in or out. Quite annoying as I need to interact with my mouse to do certain things and constantly zoom in and out.

EDIT: And I did remove numpad 2 and 3 from another bind which tilts view down so it isnt conflicting.
InAUGral

Story Teller

Unread postby Mearehear » 5 Jan 13, 9:49 pm

I'm quite used to using my stick in one hand and the mouse in the other for free mouselook in most flight sims, so it isn't too bad, but it really does look wonderful to see it in action with TrackIR. Can't really justify the money for TrackIR currently, but as you may have read in the thread I am looking at alternatives that seem quite successful cheaply :)

How do you mean exactly with the zoom on the mouse? For me when I activate mouselook with Left ALT + C I have free range of zoom with the mousewheel which is wonderfully handy. I guess it doesn't have that option while using TrackIR?
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby InAUGral » 7 Jan 13, 11:28 am

Mearehear wrote:I'm quite used to using my stick in one hand and the mouse in the other for free mouselook in most flight sims, so it isn't too bad, but it really does look wonderful to see it in action with TrackIR. Can't really justify the money for TrackIR currently, but as you may have read in the thread I am looking at alternatives that seem quite successful cheaply :)

How do you mean exactly with the zoom on the mouse? For me when I activate mouselook with Left ALT + C I have free range of zoom with the mousewheel which is wonderfully handy. I guess it doesn't have that option while using TrackIR?

I refer to the Zoom In control that is by default RShift+Num* and Zoom out that is RShift+num/ . This zoom I like using so I dont have to lean forward and strain my neck so much with TrackIR.
InAUGral

Story Teller

Unread postby DarkMellie » 25 Jan 13, 12:41 am

Finally got into the Georgian Hammer mission. Target was 4 artillery pieces defended by a bunch of BMP2's and a few tanks. Dirty lying mission planner, there was AAA in the area!

Came in low, popped up and MAV'd two of the four artys, then defended two missiles. It's so cool to see that rising cloud of smoke that turns in towards you... they're designed to meet you at a point along your flight path so you just wait until they're halfway, then Split-S, pop chaff/flares and they explode harmlessly.

Set one of the other arty's as my SPI and gave my wingman orders to engage artillery at my SPI with missiles, and he took both of them out! Mission Success.

Set the ILS (even though Batumi was close-by and good for VFR, it's just good practice), landed and shut-down.

Mission two is to protect two tank convoy's so I expect things to get much more challenging from here. Can't be surprised by AAA again, need to orbit at the fence and be much more careful with picking my targets. In the first mission you start with two cluster bombs, 2 mk2 drag bombs and 4 mavs... so clearly I could have neutralised the AA threat then had my pickings of ground forces, but I really just wanted to progress in the mission.

You can also download the continuance of the GH mission series direct from DCS (they were both removed after patch 1.1.1.1 for some reason). They are Devil's Cross and The Shore.

http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/84753/

Download and unzip into \\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Missions\EN\Campaigns
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby DarkMellie » 28 Jan 13, 7:28 pm

Picked up 15 kills tonight in a single outing, smashing them with GBU's, Mav's and cannon all over the place. Found an armour column and lined them up (after we'd taken out most air threats) then turned PAC off (if the gun is less stabilised it will pull up more, great for little tanks in a row) and strafed them for the last 4 kills.

Fairly shoddy landing though... was about 20 seconds from touching down when I realised I should fly around but landed anyway. THUNK, fairly sure I lost my nosewheel.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Tonmeister. » 29 Jan 13, 1:34 pm

DarkMellie wrote:Picked up 15 kills tonight in a single outing, smashing them with GBU's, Mav's and cannon all over the place. Found an armour column and lined them up (after we'd taken out most air threats) then turned PAC off (if the gun is less stabilised it will pull up more, great for little tanks in a row) and strafed them for the last 4 kills.

Fairly shoddy landing though... was about 20 seconds from touching down when I realised I should fly around but landed anyway. THUNK, fairly sure I lost my nosewheel.

Funny that, I saw some strange goings-on when replaying tacview recording. You did a U-turn while taxiing then crashed your A10 :/

that was on the AEF server Lastnight...

also, i could very well be wrong, but why no DCS server on GoN?
Tonmeister.

Padawan

Unread postby DarkMellie » 29 Jan 13, 4:24 pm

Interesting. On first take-off, I realised I was going the wrong way so turned around (was going to take off from '33' rather than into '33').

The crash was landing after my first sortie. Lots of kills inbetween!

I've never used Tac-View, that's the one with the 3D landscape and really plain symbology yeah? Where do you find that? Is it just from a saved replay?

What's your username on there? Do you fly often?
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Disco LT » 29 Jan 13, 5:15 pm

God damn it.. I am so close to getting my TrackIR and X52 :(
Disco LT

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Tonmeister. » 29 Jan 13, 5:36 pm

DarkMellie wrote:Interesting. On first take-off, I realised I was going the wrong way so turned around (was going to take off from '33' rather than into '33').

The crash was landing after my first sortie. Lots of kills inbetween!

I've never used Tac-View, that's the one with the 3D landscape and really plain symbology yeah? Where do you find that? Is it just from a saved replay?

What's your username on there? Do you fly often?

I highly recommend tacview for post analysis of the mission. What i've learnt is how unaware I am to events going on around me, like sam missles whizzing past me and the bunch of A10s less than 25nm away on the coast fighting their own battles (like lastnight with yourself and some other AEF guys). I was going straight for your carrier (vance). I've just got the home version, but its free for the basic features if you register. Basically once installed, DCS looks after the recording and conversion for tacview, easy sailing.

http://lomac.strasoftware.com/tacview-download-en.php

My username is Tonmeister, was flying every night over the holidays, but since starting work again I generally fly on a Friday or Sat night. Still learning the A10, and relearning the KA, so compentacy levels are preeeetty low atm. :oops: So I've been flying the SU25T in the meantime, 27, 29 for CAP.
Tonmeister.

Padawan

Unread postby DarkMellie » 4 Feb 13, 11:54 pm

Disco and I going through start-up procedures at Sochi-Adler. Apologies for the long view, dual monitors and no desire to crop the photo :D

Disco somehow managed to end up on the tip of my Aim-9 later in the flight!
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Disco LT » 5 Feb 13, 12:01 am

DarkMellie wrote:Disco and I going through start-up procedures at Sochi-Adler. Apologies for the long view, dual monitors and no desire to crop the photo :D

Disco somehow managed to end up on the tip of my Aim-9 later in the flight!

Yeah, I wonder how that happened :lol: That was a very awesome experience though, which I recorded so I'll upload it to Youtube once it renders and link it here in case anyone wants an idea of what to do. I'm glad I recorded it as I'll need to go through it a few times and write my own "Mellie" Startup procedure :D
Disco LT

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby lordkabab » 5 Feb 13, 11:15 pm

AHHHH I JUST WANT MONEY SO I CAN GET MY CONTROL SYSTEM.

How important is TrackIR for this anyway? I was going to build my own but then I looked at just how precise **** needs to be and I seriously cbf.
lordkabab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby DarkMellie » 5 Feb 13, 11:31 pm

It's not essential but it is REALLY useful. I couldn't fly without it now.

However, I've known some properly pro-pilots in a number of flight sims who've used nothing but the hat-switch on their joystick.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby lordkabab » 5 Feb 13, 11:36 pm

Ahh, I'll probably just use HAT until I either build my own or buy one.
lordkabab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Mearehear » 6 Feb 13, 12:43 am

Mouse look still works awesome for me ;) One hand on the stick and one hand on the mouse, and a toggle button on the stick so i can deactivate/activate the mouselook when i need to click on things in the cockpit
Mearehear

Game Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Simulation