So, I finally bought an ASrock board...

Forum for Technical discussions

So, I finally bought an ASrock board...

Unread postby Shinanigans » 30 Dec 12, 8:06 pm

Treated mum to a PC upgrade for Christmas, the old AMD X2 3000+ machine was... well, old. Still runs great though after 5 years, solid as a rock that system!

Anyhoo, I've always used Gigabyte boards since I had Asus board die one after the other and I've been hearing all this good talk about ASrock (even though they used to be garbage) last year or so, so i grabbed a PRO4-M after seeing this board come up in many "recommended" lists/reviews, two 4GB Vengeance sticks and an i3 3220.

Gotta say I was thoroughly impressed with the BIOS on it. Pretty menu and tonnes of options, especially liked the fan control options on it. One thing I thought was pretty lousy though was it come with two SATA cables... and that's it. Not even so much as a sticker or anything fun to play with :(

System went together without a hitch, could've done it blind-folded. Seems as though Intel have really improved their coolers too as those formerly **** pins went through and locked in with no fuss. Well, no pics or benches or anything, just thought I'd share my christmas loot :) What about you guys, build anything over the holidays?
Shinanigans

Forum Bot

Re: So, I finally bought an ASrock board...

Unread postby Little_LerroYY » 30 Dec 12, 9:38 pm

Good to hear. I have a old Asrock mobo running an 865G chipset w/ a P4 3.0GHz Northwood for my homeserver. One of the most stable motherboards I've ever owned. I always thought Asrock was one of those brands that never really got the respect they deserved.
Little_LerroYY

n00bie

Unread postby Nekosan » 31 Dec 12, 2:44 am

Love me my asrock, dat bios :oops:
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Morkai » 31 Dec 12, 8:58 am

I was intending on buying an AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 for my next build early next year.
Morkai

Regular

Unread postby Long John » 31 Dec 12, 9:08 am

Asrock a good value for money. Their extra software is better then other at the lower price range.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long John

Padawan

Unread postby Mekon » 31 Dec 12, 9:11 am

Shinanigans wrote:Anyhoo, I've always used Gigabyte boards since I had Asus board die one after the other

Heh, funny - I've had the exact opposite experience. Had 4-5 Gigabyte boards die in a period of 2 years (home and workplace PCs), only buy Asus boards for home now. :)
Mekon

I Draw Sustenance From Destroying Your Hyperbole

Unread postby Shinanigans » 31 Dec 12, 10:54 am

Heh, yep, pretty much the case with most technology brands. Purely anecdotal but hey, works for me :D Well, until one day when said brand starts failing and brand loyalty switches again!

Little_LerroYY wrote:Good to hear. I have a old Asrock mobo running an 865G chipset w/ a P4 3.0GHz Northwood for my homeserver. One of the most stable motherboards I've ever owned. I always thought Asrock was one of those brands that never really got the respect they deserved.

It's quite possible that they weren't ever really a *bad* brand, thinking back, the information I would've been getting would've been from the OC'ing scene and perhaps they weren't very good in that regard. In any case, they seem to be reeling it in now :D
Shinanigans

Forum Bot

Unread postby Ball0fire » 31 Dec 12, 12:00 pm

i chose an asrock X79 extreeeeeeeme3 over the other brands cos with the asrock the gap between pci-e 1 and pci-2 is larger
thus allowing more air between my 2 cards

gigabytes and asus were only the standard tiny gap

so far im pretty happy with it
Ball0fire

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby -Slayer- » 31 Dec 12, 1:26 pm

Nekosan wrote:Love me my asrock, dat bios :oops:

Same the BIOS is wow, huge difference on the old style blue ones of years ago and navigate via the keyboard, I've always had ASUS boards and got this one ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP though I wish I'd spent a couple dollars more and got this board that could do SLI as well instead of just crossfire my only stuff up, other than that very happy. :D
-Slayer-

Senior BF Admin

Unread postby Dinwiddie » 31 Dec 12, 3:41 pm

AsRock Pro 4 here too. Not worried about SLI, or Xfire for that matter. The mouse-able BIOS is pretty nice.
Wish there was a feature for easy swap between Integrated gpu and dedicated gpu, but.
An F key, like for choosing between HDD's would be pretty painless, even if you did still have to re-boot .

Mine doesn't have the /MVP bit on the box, but that brings me to the Virtu MVP. What good is it ?
I was hoping it would allow switching between integrated and dedicated, not....
Does jack for the integrated graphics as well, from what I can tell.

Last edited by Dinwiddie on 1 Jan 13, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinwiddie is in his second childhood, and sits gazing through the fog from his crusty cave.
Dinwiddie

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Ninja Catfish » 31 Dec 12, 7:41 pm

I got an ASRock Extreme4 to use while my MSI board was out of commission and waiting for RMA, have no complaints. The UEFI is super nice, being able to update the UEFI from within the UEFI with an automatic online updater is so so so good.
Simple to OC, but has all the options you could ever want too.
Nintendo Network ID - Catfiish | Live - NinjaxCatfish | PlayStation ID - NinjaCatfish | last.fm - NinjaCatfish | Twitter - StevenImpson
Ninja Catfish

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby -Slayer- » 31 Dec 12, 8:59 pm

Dinwiddie wrote:AusRock Pro 4 here too. Not worried about SLI, or Xfire for that matter. The mouse-able BIOS is pretty nice.
Wish there was a feature for easy swap between Integrated gpu and dedicated gpu, but.
An F key, like for choosing between HDD's would be pretty painless, even if you did still have to re-boot .

Mine doesn't have the /MVP bit on the box, but that brings me to the Virtu MVP. What good is it ?
I was hoping it would allow switching between integrated and dedicated, not....
Does jack for the integrated graphics as well, from what I can tell.

With my MVP I can turn off the plugged in video card with one button and let it just run the onboard Intel HD4000 CPU graphics side of it, and if I fire up a game the video card switches back on as it detects the plugged in card is needed also.

I find the MVP running as well gives the games a bit extra boost not much but helps I think, not sure if it could run as a dedicated physics card though, haven't tried it.

The Intel HD4000 also allows my wife's computer to run without the need for a plugged in video card and the games she has run so far run really well on it, I put one game on it that I thought may make it struggle so I set it to it's highest settings and Tiger woods PGA Tour 12 The Masters doesn't skip a beat, she plays a lot of games and so far it handles them well, nothing as high demanding as what we play multiplayer BF3 etc: mind you, I did try and old game on it CODWaW and it ran that ok.
-Slayer-

Senior BF Admin

Unread postby Dinwiddie » 1 Jan 13, 3:43 pm

OK - I've been Re-inspired by your success, Slayer, I updated to the 2.1.114 version of VirtuMVP and can now use the "I" mode, but "D" mode still is not available.
VirtuMVP will not run if I use "D" mode. It may be due to the ATI card.
When using "I" mode CCC is opens but does not function. As long as my 3D profiles still function that should
not be a huge problem.
Reading info from May 2012 this was a bug in the ATI drivers. Apparently the HD7000 series (using an HD7970) is also a problem, but Nvidia was up on the game back in May and all their 600 series except the 680 were good with "D" mode
back then. Don't know if all this still applies, or if I still have something wrong.
Ah well! Enough inspiration and reading for now. "I" mode may still be useful most of the time.

I was also impressed with the capabilities of the HD4000 graphics, but it is a bit inconsistent.
One example is Bioshock will run on the HD4000, but Bioshock 2 will not launch (error message about incompatible graphics). When using 'I' mode Bioshock 2 will run properly.

Skyrim still runs at credible fps in "I" mode too. With brief dips to 43fps and peaking around 58fps
(high texture pack and Ultra).
Only a five minute run around though, so haven't verified long play stability.

EDIT: Well, maybe "I" mode won't cut it with a lot of games - GTA4 runs at about 10fps, if you call that running.
Other Bethesda games are bogging down as well. Wonder why Skyrim is running so well ?

Dinwiddie is in his second childhood, and sits gazing through the fog from his crusty cave.
Dinwiddie

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Bicketybam » 1 Jan 13, 4:18 pm

I went a little overboard and purchased the mother of all Asrock boards.. the X79 Extreme11. Only had it a little while and have yet to use it for its full potential but will be changing that soon. ;)
ImageImage
" " - Silent Bob

Gamers can really come across with a pathetically huge sense of self entitlement at times
Bicketybam

Senior TF2 Admin

Unread postby -Slayer- » 1 Jan 13, 11:32 pm

Dinwiddie wrote:OK - I've been Re-inspired by your success, Slayer, I updated to the 2.1.114 version of VirtuMVP and can now use the "I" mode, but "D" mode still is not available.
VirtuMVP will not run if I use "D" mode. It may be due to the ATI card.

Not sure I run mine in "D" mode, only one program uses "I" mode, also run a nvidia card GTX480, my MVP version is Virtu Universal MVP 2.1.221.

Not sure if you have this web addy I'd say you do, some reading there that might help.
http://www.lucidlogix.com/index.html

/sorry Shinanigans for hijacking ya thread.
-Slayer-

Senior BF Admin

Next

Return to Tech Chat