How critical are criticals, etc?

How critical are criticals, etc?

Unread postby Mugsy » 23 Dec 12, 6:03 pm

Just wondering how necessary is it to have +Crit Dam, +Chance Crit Dam and resist all to finish Inferno now that it's easier on Monster Power 0? Can an insane amount of life regen compensate for the lack of resist all?

I've pushed ahead with my Wizard over the past few days and have gotten her to lvl 54... managed to get some nice cheapie lvl 60 items which is likely to put my life regen at the 1k+ mark and I've gotten a 989 dps Wizardspike for about 40k gold. The frozen orb effect is what I'm after and I'll likely cap off at around 25k dps when I hit lvl 60.

Granted I'm more about building my characters to play the way I want to play them and I'm only looking at finishing Hell difficulty, it's not a big issue if I'm not geared up to finish Inferno. I'm just curious about what my chances are if I tackle it with a build that has focused on life regen, about 1k+ Vit, 1k+ main stat, a 1k dps weapon, a few +Damage modifiers on amulets and rings, and 30-60% damage reduction through armour (higher for melees, lower end for Wiz, DH and WD). My resistance to elements is pretty low.

Here's my build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mugs ... ro/1466294
Mugsy

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Re: How critical are criticals, etc?

Unread postby bigred-wlaus- » 24 Dec 12, 9:12 am

My resist is very low around300 but i tear through inferno mp 1 ,2 ,or 3 with ease with my build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BiGG ... ro/1179611
bigred-wlaus-

Padawan

Unread postby skitzor » 24 Dec 12, 11:03 am

you won't be able to tell until you try it. there will be some monsters that put out a lot of one-hit damage (eg. those mallet lord things) that you will probably just die to. you also might find your life regen is unable to out-heal things like desecrate or a few arcane beams. I would recommend getting resistances where you can as they really do help.

crit chance helps with skill procs. crit chance and crit damage help with damage. if you don't care about either of those, then you don't need them. but it wouldn't be expensive to get a little bit of CC and CD (not together) on jewellery and gloves.

I'm interested to see how you go.

bigred-wlaus- wrote:My resist is very low around300 but i tear through inferno mp 1 ,2 ,or 3 with ease with my build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BiGG ... ro/1179611

that's because you're running a double tornado barb with LOH and LL. it's a very strong build and can be extremely cheap to make an effective set of items. also, you're running melee char which has inbuilt DR compared to the class he is talking about.
skitzor

Unread postby Mugsy » 28 Dec 12, 12:48 pm

Thanks guys. Guess I'll just have to try clearing Hell first and if I'm up for it, I'll do inferno.

Currently leveling up my Barb... just really looking forward to using the new mid-lvl 50s shoulders and bracers which I've had stashed away from months ago. Getting a bit sick of seeing elephant tusks on my shoulders.
Mugsy

Unread postby Mugsy » 6 Jan 13, 6:04 pm

Not sure about Inferno now... my wizard has started taking a hammering around the Highlands, Act1. Had to switch to using diamond skin again and now have Arcane Orb with Tap the Source as my secondary attack for it's effectiveness against groups. Not use to having to be so careful with my aiming... this is gonna test me. Got a better set of pants with greater armour, Int, Vit and Health regen to help out (hopefully, the disappearing items on the AH won't affect this bid).

My dps will only go up another 5k with Wizardspike and the Frozen Orb doesn't look like it'll do as much snaring as I need it to. Still, another 1.13 levels to go before I hit lvl 60. Grinding like there's no tomorrow as I want to have the Wizardspike when I take on the Butcher.
Mugsy

Unread postby Mugsy » 9 Jan 13, 10:59 pm

Well, I've reached lvl 60 with my Wiz. Got 30k dps, 51k HP, resistances and damage reduction are around the 50% mark give or take. Life regen has exceeded 1300 which is nice. I think I'll be OK to finish Hell... inferno might be pushing it.

I'm just disappointed with the Wizardspike's frozen orb. I knew it was nothing like the D2 version but the effect only has a chance of triggering per mouse click, not attack... thus I can't just hold down the mouse and hope for a frozen orb to come out every 3 or 4 attacks. With such a low DPS gain, I do wonder why Blizzard didn't make frozen orb trigger per attack so that there's be some bonus to using a Wizardspike. I can see why people are stating that legendaries aren't all that legendary.
Mugsy

Unread postby Mugsy » 12 Jan 13, 3:29 pm

Played around with changing a few passive skills - namely using Glass Cannon now for a large damage increase and low % decrease in damage reduction... after upgrading a few items. Also switched to a cheapie Triumvariate source for a nice 5.6k dps increase but 11k life drop. Overall I'm on about 43k dps and 46k life with 2.3k life regen which is a better position to be IMHO. The Triumvariate effect is also nicer than the bland skull I had before.

All up, I'm quite happy with my Wizard... not crazy powerful but fun to play as and aesthetically appealing (not keen on the samurai with skull shoulders look that so many high level players end up sporting). Now to work on my Barb.
Mugsy

Unread postby skitzor » 14 Jan 13, 1:10 pm

keep in mind that triumvirates have a larger benefit if your weapon does black damage. black damage means no +elemental effects on the weapon, only +min, +max, % damage increases.
skitzor

Unread postby Mugsy » 14 Jan 13, 9:26 pm

That's strange. I have black spear which does an extra 15 dps compared to my Wizardspike but when equipped, it does 380 less damage.

The Triumvirate does +X% Arcane Damage though... could this be why my Wizardspike (which does arcane damage) does more DPS than the black spear that has a higher weapon dps?

EDIT:

Read that there's a bug calc with how damage is displayed and that I should take the Triumvirate off before equipping the new weapon... the Wizardspike still does more damage. I'm confused.
Mugsy

Unread postby skitzor » 16 Jan 13, 12:11 am

Mugsy wrote:That's strange. I have black spear which does an extra 15 dps compared to my Wizardspike but when equipped, it does 380 less damage.

The Triumvirate does +X% Arcane Damage though... could this be why my Wizardspike (which does arcane damage) does more DPS than the black spear that has a higher weapon dps?

EDIT:

Read that there's a bug calc with how damage is displayed and that I should take the Triumvirate off before equipping the new weapon... the Wizardspike still does more damage. I'm confused.

the +% el damage on things like triumvirate (and a bunch of other items) works on any "black" damage. so base damage is black, any +min-max damage on rings/ammys/etc is considered black, and +min-max on weapons and % damage on weapons are also black. elemental boosts like +x-y arcane/fire/holy/poison on weapons are not black (typically causes some sort of effect to be on the weapon), and +% el damage do not stack with them.

there is also another kind of +% el damage which is seen on tals set.

this is getting to be fairly common knowledge, so you should be able to find some more information.

take a look at some high DPS wizards. http://www.diabloprogress.com/us/rating ... s_unbuffed

most will be running a black damage weapon (fortunately echoing fury is one of these), with as much +% el damage as they can. triumvirate, innas temperance, zuni boots.
skitzor

Unread postby Mugsy » 16 Jan 13, 7:15 pm

Thanks for that mate. Purchased an affordable 50k Echoing Fury for another 5k dps (does less weapon dps than the wizardspike but adds INT)... sitting around 48k dps ATM.
Mugsy

Return to Diablo