GG THQ,

Re: GG THQ,

Unread postby PalZer0 » 23 Jan 13, 3:39 pm

diamondd wrote:ffs, I WAS looking forward to South Park... please don't be true

This. If Ubisoft do manage to pick it up, it's off my shopping list as uPlay is horribad.
DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

Twitter | Facebook | Steam | Xfire | Raptr
3DS Friend Code: 5386-8114-8658
PalZer0

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Makena » 23 Jan 13, 9:07 pm

PalZer0 wrote:This. If Ubisoft do manage to pick it up, it's off my shopping list as uPlay is horribad.

No, it's not. That's honestly spoken like someone who hasn't really used it, certainly not recently. It works fine, offline mode works fine in recent games (ie Far Cry 3), it's nice to be able to spend achievement points getting aesthetic things, or in game rewards, and the point total can be spent on any game. Also I think PC versions of Ubisoft games have been quite good recently. The DRM aspect of Uplay is no more intrusive than Steam at this stage (No always online requirement as it has had previously).
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

Unread postby diamondd » 23 Jan 13, 10:31 pm

Makena wrote:
PalZer0 wrote:This. If Ubisoft do manage to pick it up, it's off my shopping list as uPlay is horribad.

No, it's not. That's honestly spoken like someone who hasn't really used it, certainly not recently. It works fine, offline mode works fine in recent games (ie Far Cry 3), it's nice to be able to spend achievement points getting aesthetic things, or in game rewards, and the point total can be spent on any game. Also I think PC versions of Ubisoft games have been quite good recently. The DRM aspect of Uplay is no more intrusive than Steam at this stage (No always online requirement as it has had previously).

however it is superfluous to Steam and hence intrusive.

sorry everybody, Valve beat you all to the punch with Steam and I'm not using any equivalents alongside it.

inb4 "my loss"
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Makena » 23 Jan 13, 10:43 pm

diamondd wrote:however it is superfluous to Steam and hence intrusive.

sorry everybody, Valve beat you all to the punch with Steam and I'm not using any equivalents alongside it.

inb4 "my loss"

Except you don't need to use steam to play Uplay games? If you make a choice to buy a uplay game on steam, then yes it has an added step, but if that's a huge issue for you, don't get Ubisoft games on steam, get a retail version (Either locally or from the UK or whatever).

Sorry everybody, Ford made the first mass produced road car, I'm not using any equivalents.
Sorry everybody, Panadol made the first easy to take pain killer, I'm not using any equivalents.
Sorry everybody, IBM made the first desktop computer, I'm not using any equivalents.
Sorry everybody, Village Cinemas were first in the cinema game, I'm not using any equivalents.

tbh I've no idea how factual any of those are for being first, nor do I care, they illustrate the point that blindly refusing to use an alternative is rather silly.

You're welcome to your choice, I don't think it's your loss or anything like that. However I do think competition for steam, that may force steam to do an even better job, is a good thing.
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

Unread postby diamondd » 23 Jan 13, 11:35 pm

Makena wrote:
diamondd wrote:however it is superfluous to Steam and hence intrusive.

inb4 "my loss"

Except you don't need to use steam to play Uplay games? If you make a choice to buy a uplay game on steam, then yes it has an added step, but if that's a huge issue for you, don't get Ubisoft games on steam, get a retail version (Either locally or from the UK or whatever).

Sorry everybody, Ford made the first mass produced road car, I'm not using any equivalents.
Sorry everybody, Panadol made the first easy to take pain killer, I'm not using any equivalents.
Sorry everybody, IBM made the first desktop computer, I'm not using any equivalents.
Sorry everybody, Village Cinemas were first in the cinema game, I'm not using any equivalents.

tbh I've no idea how factual any of those are for being first, nor do I care, they illustrate the point that blindly refusing to use an alternative is rather silly.

You're welcome to your choice, I don't think it's your loss or anything like that. However I do think competition for steam, that may force steam to do an even better job, is a good thing.

not equivalent examples at all, you wouldn't spread all your money across half a dozen bank accounts would you?

this is about keeping all your eggs in one basket as a matter of convenience, I'm sick of being forced to own accounts all over the place just so I can play the occasional disappointing console port. Between Steam, games for windows live, ubiplay, origin, etc I'm well and truly over it.
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Makena » 23 Jan 13, 11:43 pm

diamondd wrote:not equivalent examples at all, you wouldn't spread all your money across half a dozen bank accounts would you?

this is about keeping all your eggs in one basket as a matter of convenience, I'm sick of being forced to own accounts all over the place just so I can play the occasional disappointing console port. Between Steam, games for windows live, ubiplay, origin, etc I'm well and truly over it.

I don't keep 100% of my money in one single account, no. Perhaps not half a dozen, but I have 3 at the moment, and I don't have a credit card, so that could easily be a 4th.

Competition is never a bad thing, convenient or not, steam needs competition in the marketplace.

EDIT: Also yes, my examples were bad, I was using hyperbole to illustrate a point, that holding to one method of doing something because it was there first, is silly.
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

Unread postby SaNE » 24 Jan 13, 12:28 am

Makena wrote:Competition is never a bad thing, convenient or not, steam needs competition in the marketplace.

They can compete all they want, they shouldn't however be shoving a second, third or forth DRM on top of the game when they put it on Steam... If they want to give people an option to use their **** fine, but they shouldn't be forcing it.

It makes playing the games a PITA at release and if they decide later to change/shut down the service your **** out of luck.
Steam - Battlelog - X-Fire - "If you're not hurting somebody's feelings, you're losing"
SaNE

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 24 Jan 13, 6:39 am

From the office of THQ:

The proposed sales of multiple assets is as follows :

Sega agreed to purchase Relic
Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve
Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

We expect these sales to close this week.

Link: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... -gone.aspx
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby exe3 » 24 Jan 13, 8:12 am

BUT WHAT ABOUT VIGIL AND DARKSIDERS?!?!?!??!?!?!?! :( :o :cry:

Other than Ubisoft getting South Park (hopefully the South Park guys can contest that) things seem at least like they might be ok (Koch might've been just after Freespace and I hope they do make a Freespace 3 but hopefully they let Saints Row continue as well /edit Yeah they've made a statement that Saints Row will continue though no word on Freespace as of current).

But honestly of all the publishers that deserve to collapse it's horrible that THQ was the one go and that we may be seeing some great franchises go down with it. :(
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby jambo » 24 Jan 13, 8:48 am

South Park are indeed contesting it.

And sucks about Vigil and Darksiders.
jambo

Its over 2 million!

Unread postby An71c1p473d » 24 Jan 13, 9:10 am

Artful-dodgeR wrote:From the office of THQ:

The proposed sales of multiple assets is as follows :

Sega agreed to purchase Relic
Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve
Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

We expect these sales to close this week.

Link: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... -gone.aspx

Ohh come on! Where's Vigil and Darksiders!

It's very sad to another awesome company fall. They put so much time and effort into their amazing games.
An71c1p473d

Regular

Unread postby Ashigaru » 24 Jan 13, 9:30 am

**** companies keep getting with it too much!!
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby Otto-matic » 24 Jan 13, 9:47 am

Unfortunately THQ failed to make a truly successful mass market game recently (ala CoD). Pity as I like most of the stuff they produce.
Otto-matic

Story Teller

Unread postby PalZer0 » 24 Jan 13, 10:51 am

Only thing I don't like is Ubisoft getting South Park. Hopefully it's successfully contested.

Did Vigil do any games other than Darksiders?

Good thing that Saints Row still lives. I loves Saints Row 3 (despite what others may think) and want to see more of that series.

Also, for those defending uPlay, there was an article on GON a while back that explains why it's awful.
DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

Twitter | Facebook | Steam | Xfire | Raptr
3DS Friend Code: 5386-8114-8658
PalZer0

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Makena » 24 Jan 13, 11:04 am

PalZer0 wrote:Also, for those defending uPlay, there was an article on GON a while back that explains why it's awful.

I don't recall any such article that declared Uplay was awful, there was an article that declared 5 things that would improve it. If I wrote an article with 5 things Steam could do to improve, would that mean I'm saying Steam is awful? Of course not.

I completely agree with Sane they they shouldn't however be shoving a second, third or forth DRM on top of the game when they put it on Steam. But even for that some of the biggest whiners about Uplay, when another company does the same thing (ie Rockstar with the Rockstar social club), are still clamoring for the next Rockstar game on PC, and probably on Steam, knowing full well it'll include the layered DRM.
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat