Tabletop Board and Card Games discussion

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games discussion

Unread postby diamondd » 8 Feb 13, 9:38 pm

Jonkhorn3 wrote:Ill definetly check out that cafe, very interested in going and having a look plus the whole cake thing will win over the girlfriend haha! might be able to try ticket to ride (which was the game she saw, but was $80 on special at gamesworld >.<) :P

I like to support local businesses when I can, but seriously...

http://www.ozgameshop.com/board-games-a ... et-to-ride
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby lordkabab » 10 Feb 13, 1:44 pm

We played this game called FormulaD. It was basically a race car board game. 2-10 players.

The board had two sides, one was the famous Monaco GP track and the other was a generic street race. Both track have three "lanes". Monaco was a straight up track with corners but the street race has hazards on it, a police station that gives you a boost, and an area that you have to try to speed through or you'll take damage.

There's multiple dice, with different numbers ranging up to 30 eventually, these are your cars gear. You can change gear at the end of each turn.

Cornering is the part where you have to think. Each corner, you have to "break" (end your turn) usually only one, but can go up to 3 times. If you don't stop, you'll take damage. If you don't stop during a 3 stop corner, then you immediately die and are out of the game. If you end your turn behind someone (not just directly, but along side too) then you each roll the die called the "Hazard die" which is d20 I think, a roll 1-4 will damage your car, anything else is safe.
If you're playing on the street race, you get the ability to use Nitro once per lap.

There are two modes to playing, Basic and Advanced.
Basic is pretty basic, funnily enough. Every players has 18 damage points (called Wear Points 'WP' in the game). One lap, whoever crosses line first wins.

Advanced isn't actually too hard, but I suggest playing basic first just to get the hang of the gameplay. In Advanced there are usually one or two laps (up to you). You choose your racer and instead of having 18 total WP, your character determines how many WP you have. The WP is also split up into categories: Tires, Brakes, Transmission, Body, Engine, and Handling.
Each character also has a special ability, the character I played had the ability of when ever someone passed me on a straight, they had one less movement on that turn.
During Advanced you also get the ability to slipstream. If you stop directly behind someone, and you are in the same or higher gear, you can slingshot past for an extra thee movement. If you're lucky enough to chain them, you can.

Pretty fun game. I unfortunately only played with 3 other people. I would love to see a 10 person race.

edit: my hands hurt now, that was a spur of the moment write up
lordkabab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby VitalBlurs » 10 Feb 13, 3:47 pm

That sounds like an awesome game!.....and it'd have to be better than the Top Gear board game. That got old after only a couple of plays.

I'm gonna have to track down this Formula D.
VitalBlurs

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby lordkabab » 10 Feb 13, 3:52 pm

Yes it was very fun! There's a couple of optional rules that we didn't bother exploring because of time issues, but I know that if you play a Two or more lap race, you can use the pits to repair.
lordkabab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby diamondd » 11 Feb 13, 9:46 pm

yeah I've heard of Formula D, was thinking about tracking it down but wasn't sure about its potential longevity.

just had my first go at the print and play Boss Monster, pretty cool but I can't say it reeeally grabbed me first time out. I'm sure there's more depth to be discovered though. Only two players too, can see a lot more fun in 3-4.
diamondd

Unread postby diamondd » 15 Feb 13, 9:25 pm

glorious double post ahoy! had to, this baby has arrived

diamondd

Unread postby Sathias » 15 Feb 13, 10:43 pm

Got an Aus Post slip in the mail, think my Descent is at the post office :mrgreen:

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Robert Anton Wilson
Sathias

Not allowed to leave

Unread postby lucassot » 17 Feb 13, 7:48 am

Sathias wrote:Got an Aus Post slip in the mail, think my Descent is at the post office :mrgreen:

Nice one, Descent is fantastic fun! Enjoy it :)

Does anyone here play D&D? I've recently got into it with a couple friends & am loving it lol.
lucassot

Unread postby $had0w » 15 Mar 13, 1:02 am

Anyone playing the Xwing game? Its surprisingly simple, and yet so fun!
$had0w

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Ashigaru » 15 Mar 13, 8:16 am

Read a review and it seems very similar to Aeronautica Imperialis from forgeworld, which is also a radtastic game. Don't tempt me to get it, it seems so awesome :D
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby Tim Colwill » 15 Mar 13, 8:31 am

lucassot wrote:Does anyone here play D&D? I've recently got into it with a couple friends & am loving it lol.

Yeah man! I play a whole heap :D
Tim Colwill

Editor in Chief

Unread postby VitalBlurs » 15 Mar 13, 11:33 am

lucassot wrote:Does anyone here play D&D? I've recently got into it with a couple friends & am loving it lol.

Yep....2nd edition for my group. Though it's proving difficult to get everyone to show up on a regular basis.
VitalBlurs

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Mekon » 15 Mar 13, 11:36 am

$had0w wrote:Anyone playing the Xwing game? Its surprisingly simple, and yet so fun!

Yup, waiting on a Falcon, Slave I, A-Wing and Tie Interceptor from Milsims to add to my existing fleet of 2 X-Wings, 3 Tie Fighters, Y-Wing and Tie Advanced.

Image Image
Mekon

I Draw Sustenance From Destroying Your Hyperbole

Unread postby Ashigaru » 26 Mar 13, 8:24 pm

Found this via Kotaku today.

http://www.geekchichq.com/

As cool as they are though, you could do a pretty decent version on your own I think.
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby CelticAngel82 » 26 Mar 13, 8:26 pm

i played Discworld with my buddies the other night, awesome fun :D
CelticAngel82

Wrapped in bubble wrap

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat