Plumber

Re: Plumber

Unread postby v4moose » 28 Nov 12, 5:52 pm

But I wanted to have it done because we are away for a bit in the next few days, didn't want to have a leaking tap while we were gone.

why didn't you just turn the water off at the mains FFS. then you could have sorted it out proper when you got back.
Hit me up on Steam!
A really annoying sig used to be here
v4moose

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Marius » 28 Nov 12, 5:59 pm

nit3hunt3r wrote:And yes his name was Paul. Is that a generic name they use when they're doing something dodgy? :lol:

omg haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHnTocdD7sk#t=5m35s
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby AzzA82 » 28 Nov 12, 7:19 pm

I know this ain't plumbing but where did all the skill disappear too now days.
I grew up learning how to rebuild garages, reseat taps and all the other run of the mill maintenance junk that comes with owning a house.

Only time I call a tradie is if the jobs is too big or I CBF doing it ( see 1st point ).

Source your parts yourself then get a tradie if you have to, way cheaper I had a plumber replace a whole shower/bath diverter unit for 120 just labour only took him 1hr ( during daytime hours and I turned the mains off for the night )

It stuns me the amount of people who call me out just for a 2min job that needs nothing more than a Phillips screwdriver. But hey that's the bread and butter of the various industries, $100 just to knock on your door.
AzzA82

Padawan

Unread postby Ralph Wiggum » 28 Nov 12, 8:41 pm

AzzA82 wrote:I know this ain't plumbing but where did all the skill disappear too now days.
I grew up learning how to rebuild garages, reseat taps and all the other run of the mill maintenance junk that comes with owning a house.

Only time I call a tradie is if the jobs is too big or I CBF doing it ( see 1st point ).

Source your parts yourself then get a tradie if you have to, way cheaper I had a plumber replace a whole shower/bath diverter unit for 120 just labour only took him 1hr ( during daytime hours and I turned the mains off for the night )

It stuns me the amount of people who call me out just for a 2min job that needs nothing more than a Phillips screwdriver. But hey that's the bread and butter of the various industries, $100 just to knock on your door.

Well sometimes you do more harm than good, but I do admit thanks to google + youtube, you can do so much DIY nowadays. I've done stuff like replace washers, fix leaking taps/toilets, plus a bunch of mechanical stuff thanks to teh internets.
Ralph Wiggum

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby wayne19540 » 28 Nov 12, 8:59 pm

We all at times find out things the hard way and it can cost a arm and a leg I no mate; I myself have been down that road if you are going to do a job have the tools to do it its not that hard at all; But if you have never done it and never have been shown how to do it well I have seen it go belly up;
Lot of dogie plumbers and tradesmen out there that do not have a license be careful mate always get a firm Quote in writing before they start and get their tradesmen license number they have to give it on request.
wayne19540

GON's coolest grandpa

Unread postby tacitus42 » 28 Nov 12, 9:39 pm

MuscularTeeth wrote:bathroom hardware also varies in price from one item to the next.
I can get you a 5c tap or i can spend $5000 on one.

I've got a dripping (pouring by now actually) tap in the bathroom and want to fix it. can it really be as cheap as I want it to be if all I care about is functionality?
anyone know how to fix a leaking tap?
tacitus42

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby wayne19540 » 28 Nov 12, 10:31 pm

tacitus42 wrote:
MuscularTeeth wrote:bathroom hardware also varies in price from one item to the next.
I can get you a 5c tap or i can spend $5000 on one.

I've got a dripping (pouring by now actually) tap in the bathroom and want to fix it. can it really be as cheap as I want it to be if all I care about is functionality?
anyone know how to fix a leaking tap?

How to fix a leaking Tap.mp4 Link.
http://youtu.be/v29CJZSBTsg
wayne19540

GON's coolest grandpa

Unread postby -Slayer- » 28 Nov 12, 10:47 pm

wayne19540 wrote:How to fix a leaking Tap.mp4 Link.

Ahh what did we do before the internet, damn I can't remember that far back. :(

He forgot to add the red washer putting the tap back in, even though he showed putting it on the tap, the easiest way to check a seat is using a torch, once you clear the water out of the hole i use a syringe for that, spiffy tap, never seen one with two spindle rubbers before, all the taps I've ever reco'd only ever had one.

If you do use a seating tool do the turns very fine, you don't wont to chew off too much you just need to take it down until you can see the crack has gone.
-Slayer-

Senior BF Admin

Unread postby ginji » 29 Nov 12, 9:28 am

-Slayer- wrote:
wayne19540 wrote:How to fix a leaking Tap.mp4 Link.

Ahh what did we do before the internet, damn I can't remember that far back. :(

Also if you have an old tap, you might have some difficulty getting the handle off, which is where a tap puller comes in handy, you should be able to get one from most hardware stores, I got mine from Bunnings. They'll only work where you have access to the centre spindle though.

Should look like this:

ginji

Unread postby inz » 29 Nov 12, 1:23 pm

AzzA82 wrote:I know this ain't plumbing but where did all the skill disappear too now days.

Pretty much the only thing I wont have a go at is sparky work... which "legally" has to be signed off on by a qualified tradesman anyway.

I've (helped)build pergolas, laid tiles, fixed roof leaks, hung shelves - all those manly type things women ask us to do :P
inz

Sheik of Spam

Location: Behind my computer, where it's safe and nobody can hurt me.

Unread postby tacitus42 » 29 Nov 12, 1:26 pm

Man you guys are awesome, and cheers for the link Wayne. A champ as always.
A trip to bunnings is in order!
tacitus42

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Nekosan » 29 Nov 12, 3:28 pm

ginji wrote:Also if you have an old tap, you might have some difficulty getting the handle off

There are two taps in my house that usually just result in me calling a plumber when they have a problem, the guy who built the house was a plumber and did all his own work and he was lazy as fuark... stupid things are recessed into a block wall and you need one of those extender things to get the main body of the tap out.

Unfortunately that tool seems to be made from the softest metal known to man and I've routinely bent 1-2 of them replacing a single washer. Doesn't matter how much I lube that ****, next time a washer needs changing/cleaning you need a towtruck to turn that thing :lol: .

Those taps just make me think "ya know what? screw it... calling a plumber and he can deal with this ****".
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby MunchY » 29 Nov 12, 6:28 pm

Yeah nobody has any skills anymore.
Brb, showing Dad how to plug in Foxtel.

Y'dig what I'm saying? :lol:
MunchY

Rozmosis

Unread postby ChainsawMcP » 29 Nov 12, 8:05 pm

Do all my own taps at home - so when we had a call from our tenant about a leaking tap in the apartment I figured I'd sort it out - spent half an hour looking at them and I still couldn't figure out how to pull the taps apart... so

Nekosan wrote:Those taps just make me think "ya know what? screw it... calling a plumber and he can deal with this ****".

Cost about $400 to replace two taps - (it's deductible so I couldn't be bothered spending any more time trying to figure out the tap hardware... )
ChainsawMcP

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby tacitus42 » 1 Dec 12, 5:43 pm

did it. fixed it.
cheers for the inspiration, fellas!
tacitus42

Jedi Upstart

PreviousNext

Return to GON Lounge