Dilemma; Fender Deluxe or Standard?

Forum for the discussions of all things media related

Dilemma; Fender Deluxe or Standard?

Unread postby inz » 5 Oct 12, 4:40 pm

Here's the story,

I own a Les Paul. I like it a lot, but it has some limitations. Mostly being it's humbucker pickups, and **** neck shallow for the fret hand. They're also not the greatest guitar for fast licks, as the neck profile can be a challenge for some. I've always been an LP guy but I've always loved Strat tone and wanted own one, "one day."

Well, that day could be soon if I can overcome my fear of change. I think I'll always be a Les Paul man, but they just can't do everything.

Enter the Fender Deluxe. This specific model has some electronic voodoo trickery that allows the single coil pickups to be wired in series, creating that humbucker warmth. It also comes with locking tuners, a nicer bridge and a few other small but significant upgrades (like zero feedback apparently, which has been an "issue" or as some would call it - "part of the charm" especially with overdriven single coils, fenders are no exception)

I'm weighing up the Deluxe against the Standard.

Now, considering I already own a humbucker powered LP I consider the electronic trickery a little gimmicky, although cool. The locking tuners would be nice, but again - not a deal breaker. No feed back, well. That's a tricky one. I like the idea, but the traditional fender have always had a little bit of white noise... so again, not a deal breaker.

Essentially, is the price gap worth the extra money for the upgrade? Has anyone imported from the States before? Should I bother with a Fender if I'll die holding a Gibson?

I just don't know. Maybe you do.

Edit: I'll also note that I do prefer and like the fatter "baseball bat" grip of my LP's neck. So again, a thick neck is not a deal breaker regarding soloing, etc.

Double Edit: I'm only really interested in Fenders and specifically Strats. I'm not interested in Jacksons, Deans, PRS, Ibanez etc etc.
inz

Sheik of Spam

Location: Behind my computer, where it's safe and nobody can hurt me.

Re: Dilemma; Fender Deluxe or Standard?

Unread postby Mearehear » 5 Oct 12, 4:52 pm

Well i cant really answer your question for you, but i can definitely tell you there is no shame in owning both, or switching from LP to a Strat for awhile. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz. There are plenty of guitarists out there with a collection of various brand amps and guitars, effect pedals, the works, because like you say each has their strong pointsand weaknesses. Take your mind away from the thought of it being a Strat or LP and just think about what guitars suit what you are seeking. Then cover your bases with whatever guitars can deliver that.

And then go buy a Danelectro ;)
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby inz » 5 Oct 12, 5:00 pm

Lol @ Danelectro.

I love Clapton and a lot of "white blues" and I just cant get that scream out of the LP.
inz

Sheik of Spam

Unread postby Mearehear » 5 Oct 12, 5:13 pm

Lol! A Danelectro was the last electric I owned years ago, after a run of Washburns, and just looking at their site now looks like they dont make much in the way of guitars now. I have fond memories of it, had a beautiful neck :) But had to throw it in there for my own nostalgic smiles lol

Are you having to trade/sell the LP to get the Strat, or is it going to be an addition to the LP? Having both would be a great collection :)

I used to work in a music store years ago that had a nice selection of guitars (i didnt sell the guitars, i worked in the homehifi section) and in quiet moments i loved having a play of the different guitars. LPs always got much more love than Strats with me, but both have their strong points. If I had to choose one it would be the LP, they just seemed so much more versatile personally. I havent really played for years now though.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby inz » 5 Oct 12, 5:31 pm

I just love that my LP can growl like no other guitar I've ever played and it's got such a warm and sunny clean tone.

It would be a second addition. The LP will never be sold, I'll be using it for a pillow in the gutter before I even think of finding it a new home. Has a lot of sentimental value to say the least.
inz

Sheik of Spam

Unread postby Mearehear » 5 Oct 12, 5:36 pm

Nice :) Sounds like whether you get the Deluxe or Standard you will have a great pair of guitars to cover most sound desires. Plenty of people would give their left nut for such a pair.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby Hotblack » 6 Nov 12, 11:39 am

How much money are we talking about?

No idea how much new Fender's go for these days, but they "don't make 'em like they used to"

Depending on how much money you want to spend, might be worth looking at getting an original...

I have a deluxe Strat that I bought in 1993 - it had the latest "lace sensor" **** and locking heads. I've since replaced the pickups with some nice original ones. Regarding locking heads, they're not bad however if you break a string they all go out of tune. I have a Fender G & L Telecaster and it's great, rarely goes out of tune and doesn't have locking heads. I wouldn't bother with locking heads, especially if you like using a tremelo arm it's still going to go out of tune.

Basically you get what you pay for.

EDIT: What amp do you use? That also makes a hell of a difference

If I had unlimted $$$$$ I'd go for a Bad Cat - now that's an amp
Hotblack

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby inz » 8 Nov 12, 6:51 pm

I ended up with a 2012 Ash Deluxe.

Running a 100W Marshall Valvestate (has tubes in the preamp - AVT100) and picked up a Fender Pro Junior the other day too for something different. You're right about the trem but I'd rather have it than not. It's currently being set up by my local luthier. Been loving every second of the thing. Nice to have some tonal variety.

I paid 2K to my door.
inz

Sheik of Spam

Unread postby Hotblack » 8 Nov 12, 7:09 pm

Sounds good man. Welcome to Fender world. Show us a pic if u can

There used to be a musical instrument thread but I think it's dead now
Hotblack

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby inz » 9 Nov 12, 11:38 am

:)
inz

Sheik of Spam

Unread postby diamondd » 9 Nov 12, 12:43 pm

and here I was thinking you had a Gibson.. time to flip that amp now, or was it you who just picked up the little fender in the latest purchases thread?
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby inz » 9 Nov 12, 4:50 pm

Ive got the fender as well. I'd like a Gibson, but they're mega expensive.
inz

Sheik of Spam

Unread postby DarkMellie » 9 Nov 12, 5:27 pm

Fenders play beautifully and if they weren't so bog-standard-boring to look at I'd happily own more.

Never got into Les-Pauls, I think it's just that shape feels so small and I'm so freakin' big.

Loves me my Washburn N2 (light, double-humbuckers) and Ibanez Musician (that thing weighs a tonne). Not that I've picked up an electric in probably five years now.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby diamondd » 9 Nov 12, 6:24 pm

inz wrote:Ive got the fender as well. I'd like a Gibson, but they're mega expensive.

and really not worth it. Their quality control the last decade or so has been completely awful, so many horror stories.

your new strat is damn nice though man, jelly
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby inz » 9 Nov 12, 7:07 pm

diamondd wrote:
inz wrote:Ive got the fender as well. I'd like a Gibson, but they're mega expensive.

and really not worth it. Their quality control the last decade or so has been completely awful, so many horror stories.

your new strat is damn nice though man, jelly

The Zakk was a lot cheaper, is incredibly well built and not so expensive I'd feel bad modifying it (like changing the pickups out etc, i couldn't bring myself to put a Floyd on it) plus, it has a maple fretboard... I dislike rosewood and ebony immensely. Coupled with the premium price and touch and go quality of LP's in recent years, and I'll take the Zakk all the way to the bank :P

My next guitar will likely be an explorer (yep, rosewood, ugh) or an ibanez of some description (based on feel, the "prestige" range etc means nothing to me, I've played some premium ibanez' that felt like complete ****)
inz

Sheik of Spam

Return to Movies, TV, Books and Music