Recommend a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book

Forum for the discussions of all things media related

Re: Recommend a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book

Unread postby _Zyklon_ » 26 Aug 13, 10:51 am

Recently, I read the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series, which I absolutely loved. I then needed to find something ASAP to fill the void, so I did some searching for books similar to ASOIAF, and the stand out seemed to be The Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind, A Wise Man's Fear). I have now finished them and I absolutely loved them too! I need to stop choosing unfinished series. Its going to kill me if I have to wait any longer for the next books in these series. Haha.

Any more recommendations for someone who is a big fan of such books? Also a huge fan of anything Tolkien related.
_Zyklon_

Padawan

Unread postby Disco LT » 26 Aug 13, 11:22 am

I was frustrated by the end of the Kingkiller Chronciles, I need to know what happens damnit!
Disco LT

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby _Zyklon_ » 26 Aug 13, 12:32 pm

At least we only have to wait to next year to find out the ending. Probably won't hear the ending of ASOIAF until 2020
_Zyklon_

Padawan

Unread postby Disco LT » 26 Aug 13, 12:48 pm

I strongly suspect Martin may kick the bucket before that happens
Disco LT

Unread postby Kharis » 26 Aug 13, 9:49 pm

Disco LT wrote:I strongly suspect Martin may kick the bucket before that happens

If he does that the show producers get to finish the story.... evryone gets naked and then kill each other. . The end
Artful-dodgeR wrote:TIL Kharis is not a dude.
Kharis

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Nekosan » 26 Aug 13, 10:48 pm

Kharis wrote:
Disco LT wrote:I strongly suspect Martin may kick the bucket before that happens

If he does that the show producers get to finish the story.... evryone gets naked and then kill each other. . The end

Actually I think he's pulled a Robert Jordan and laid it all out for them, apparently the producer knows how it's meant to end.
Nekosan

Unread postby Kharis » 26 Aug 13, 11:20 pm

Yeah I think so too. But whats to stop then doing whatever they want after he dies... he better have a good contract written up
Artful-dodgeR wrote:TIL Kharis is not a dude.
Kharis

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Yurtles » 26 Aug 13, 11:26 pm

Nekosan wrote:
Kharis wrote:

Actually I think he's pulled a Robert Jordan and laid it all out for them, apparently the producer knows how it's meant to end.

Layers! It will end with more and more layers. So many layers that the story eventually becomes theoretically infinite, devolving into telling the every day routine of every single citizen of Westeros. It can be the only inevitable "resolution" of the story if we're to extrapolate from what data we already have.
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby _Zyklon_ » 26 Aug 13, 11:30 pm

He has 2 co-writers. I would suspect they will know how to end the story. Much as Christopher Tolkien was able to finish some of JRRT's novels.
_Zyklon_

Padawan

Unread postby PlasmaDavid » 27 Aug 13, 5:00 pm

http://hpmor.com/

Harry Potter and the methods of rationality.

What if HPs aunt was actually nice, and married an Oxford professor, and Harry was a very intelligent and science focused 11 year old? Better than the actual books in my opinion, and channeling a fair bit of Ender Wiggin I think.
PlasmaDavid

Padawan

Unread postby MuscularTeeth » 27 Aug 13, 5:21 pm

Nekosan wrote:Finally got around to reading Perdido Street Station and I'm glad that I did, only got a chapter or two left but I'll definitely be picking up the rest of his books at some stage. Some parts felt a little forced but overall it was pretty damn solid and the world was sufficiently different to set it apart from most steampunk etc.

the worlds he writes up are so enthralling...
MUSCULARTEETH - Many things, mostly to do with Art.
MuscularTeeth

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby MuscularTeeth » 27 Aug 13, 5:25 pm

WolfSt@r wrote:Raymond E Fiest - the entire series. Is brilliant. Fantasy. Magic, Dragons, Elves, Dark Elves, Goblins, Dual worlds etc etc

And how has no one mentioned DAVID EDDINGS??? His fantasy books are possible the best since Tolkien. Yes i said it and you heard it here first...

david eddings belgariad and his early stuff were great reads. his althalus stuff is so tweeny young, simplistic i didnt enjoy them as much.
MUSCULARTEETH - Many things, mostly to do with Art.
MuscularTeeth

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Nekosan » 27 Aug 13, 6:45 pm

I actually quite liked The Redemption of Althalus, bigass book though.
Nekosan

Unread postby Disco LT » 28 Aug 13, 1:11 pm

Nekosan wrote:I actually quite liked The Redemption of Althalus, bigass book though.

Same here, it's just a fun book. I've read it a few times.
Disco LT

Unread postby Kinky Kel » 30 Aug 13, 12:02 pm

I loved Sparhawk's view of life and the world around him. Those were my favourite Eddings books by far.
Kinky Kel

Jedi Upstart

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, TV, Books and Music