Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Unread postby Makena » 25 Jan 13, 5:07 pm

exe3 wrote:I haven't started Path of Exile due to Darksiders 2 but being unable to respec your points is an epic kick in the groin to anyone who doesn't want to sit with a calculator for a few hours theorycrafting. I can't think of a single good reason as to why you shouldn't be able to respec in some way (spend tons of gold, specific items etc) as an inability to respec only harms new players and essentially forces replays of the game once people learn what paths they wish to take. That is TERRIBLE in my honest opinion.

I'm really turned off starting it now knowing i'm probably going to end up with a badly spec'd character whose skills i've chosen I don't even like just because I felt that sitting down and theory crafting for a few hours was a waste of my time. I prefer to learn by doing.

Unless of course i've misunderstood something.

You can respec, 1 point at a time, starting at the end of a chain, using items you find in game. So you can, but if you wanted to redo your whole tree, probably easier to re-roll. At least that's how it seems to me, if anyone knows different, feel free to correct me.

All that said though, I don't think there is bad/useless choices, you can probably get through the game with whatever, just certain things might be more optimal.
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

Unread postby Mearehear » 25 Jan 13, 5:48 pm

You flashy ****s with your special flight sticks :lol: I just use a Logitech Attack 3 with my DFGT pedals as rudder controls, works for me :P

I'm hoping it is just one more week until I am airborne. Waiting for iinet to fix a fault and still unpacking stuff after moving, so getting closer.

Btw where is that review Mellie?

EDIT - Also now I have a copy of Lock On Modern Air Combat, I have installed it and let it play a demo track so I could see it in action. For a title for 2003 is is surprisingly very good looking still, and quite the impressive sim. Will no doubt put some hours into that!
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby exe3 » 25 Jan 13, 7:29 pm

Ok come across my first criticisms for Darksiders 2. Firstly the levels are pretty simple and a bit dull tbh. Only at the Lost Temple atm but all the levels so far really lack the ingenuity of the original game. I also miss the destroyed Earth setting from the first game, it was far more interesting and unique to explore.

The other main criticism is that stats are obscure in the game, it makes no attempt to explain what the different stats mean or do (have had to google them) and that in general stats feel a little messy with not enough distinction between them. I don't really feel like I can specialize in say frost damage because firstly I can't really tell whether or not frost does anything majorly different (haven't noticed enemies starting to move slower or anything) and I often find more powerful weapons constantly so i'm in a state where I need to change lest I fall behind just because I want a particular weapon. I have the same issue with Borderlands though I got to a stage where drops were frequent enough that I could stick with what I liked but i'm still not a fan of how it works (needs to be more interesting than fire=bandits, acid=robots, electricity shocking people is closer to what I want in different element damage types providing variety in gameplay) and so far Darksiders 2 seems to have the same problems.
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Ashigaru » 25 Jan 13, 8:29 pm

So as you may have seen in the latest purchases, I totally just bought pokemon leaf green. I also have pokemon fire red, a gameboy micro and a gameboy SP. I plan to catch em all..... And I can totally pull it off as long as I can find the wireless adapter for the GB Micro when I'm in Japan. I'm a sad man :P
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby exe3 » 25 Jan 13, 9:36 pm

Inventory in Darksiders 2 needs tweaks as well. Hard to compare items.

Also Karma still OP. :P Funny how the champion with the lowest win rate in the game is so OP. :lol:
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Helelix » 26 Jan 13, 12:25 am

I just crafted Frostfang in Guild wars 2, which for the people who don't play GW2 is quite the accomplishment:

It requires 100% map exploration, over 1 million Karma, over 1000g (at current prices), a few hundred spare skillpoints and a decent contribution to WvW.

Either way, I am super happy with my effort, and I do not regret it at all.

more pics
Helelix

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Ashigaru » 26 Jan 13, 12:58 am

Goddamn it! Playing DayZ. Found a tent in a valley on a server I just joined. Naturally pretty stoked. Spend 10 minutes trying to find the sweet spot as it's in a tree. Proceed to find NOTHING. Devo'd :cry:
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby lordkabab » 26 Jan 13, 7:45 am

X3: AP makes my brain hurt.
lordkabab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby DarkMellie » 26 Jan 13, 9:51 am

Hahaha, agreed, kabab. Definitely one of the hardest games to get into.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Ralph Wiggum » 27 Jan 13, 1:12 pm

Just finished playing Crysis Warhead for what must be the 4th or 5th time. Finally I could play the game on maxed out enthusiast settings without any stuttering...it only took four years to build a rig that could handle it (at a reasonable price anyway). The game is absolutely drop dead gorgeous, Cryengine 2 is still IMO one of the best looking engines out there today (on par with Far Cry 3) and is a testament to how ahead of it's time the engine was.

Now onto Crysis 2...before Crysis 3 comes out ! :D
Ralph Wiggum

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 29 Jan 13, 10:17 am

Stormed my way through pripyat...

I still think, although bugged to all hell, ClearSky is the best stalker game wise. CoP feels so small compared to the other two.

Its like they cut a lot of corners out to make CoP stable and 'playable' for the masses, whilst loosing a little bit of the hardcore element. From memory SoC got really dangerous after you had beaten the controller, and CS had some AWESOME area's like the red forest and certain construction sites that took a lot of time to navigate correctly...

man. Might have to load up SoC as i cant locate my CS copy... bummed.

SVU is op still, and i still love the fact that the hardest artifacts to get make you near godlike end game...
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby Ashigaru » 29 Jan 13, 11:00 am

Hmm tempting to play it again with graphic mods etc. Looks like it could be fun :)
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby DarkMellie » 29 Jan 13, 12:15 pm

You shame me! As much as I profess the stalker series to beamong my favourite games of all time, I limped through each without thought for artifacts or better weapons. I think I missed out on a lot of things.

Sadly, it's unstable on Win8 from the tries I made recently :(
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Bek » 29 Jan 13, 12:47 pm

steve_rogers42 wrote:Stormed my way through pripyat...

I still think, although bugged to all hell, ClearSky is the best stalker game wise. CoP feels so small compared to the other two.

Its like they cut a lot of corners out to make CoP stable and 'playable' for the masses, whilst loosing a little bit of the hardcore element. From memory SoC got really dangerous after you had beaten the controller, and CS had some AWESOME area's like the red forest and certain construction sites that took a lot of time to navigate correctly...

man. Might have to load up SoC as i cant locate my CS copy... bummed.

SVU is op still, and i still love the fact that the hardest artifacts to get make you near godlike end game...

Whaaaaaaaaat.

Clear Sky is EASILY the weakest in the series. The dynamic music was silly (at least it could be turned off) but the half-baked faction wars system was horrid. SoC is the best in the series although it misses out on the improvements made since, such as the Artifact system introduced in Clear Sky and gun modification. CoP has the most interesting jobs and events, as well as the largest levels. While there are only three of them (plus a bunch of underground levels) CoP still feels like a large game, and remember it was only $20 when it came out on steam!

Suits make more of a difference imo than artifacts, although depending on the mod you're playing extra carry weight can be incredibly useful. MISERY for cop playing as the Sniper gives you only 30kg, which is just enough for the Vintorez (vintar bc) and a pistol + supplies. Makes some encounters very interesting and forces you to plan your trips more. I think SoC is also the game that takes the longest to get a Vintorez, you can get them incredibly early on in both CS and COP, although perhaps not the ammo. It's kinda made up by having a suit under every rock though, you don't find those as easily in CoP or CS.

Also Red Forrest was a beautiful area, but how much time did you spend in it? Not much at all. Same for Limansk, the railroad to the end of the game was kinda annoying in that way.
What can change the nature of a man?
Bek

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Linxus » 29 Jan 13, 2:40 pm

Hmmm - I think GMG has finally pushed me over the edge into getting Dark Souls - 50% off till Friday. Combined with a 20% off voucher, it means I can get the game for $16 (technically $13 using store credit).
Linxus

Jedi Upstart

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat