I can unicycle while playing ukulele.

You be the judge.
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Re: Oculus Rift: Discussion

Unread postby Mekon » 1 May 13, 10:09 am

Linky for people with an Oculus Rift and a Razr Hydra:

http://sixense.com/sixensetuscanydemo

Having "hands" in VR is absolutely fantastic.

Some thoughts after my playing around last night:

* the "screen-door" effect (due to having the pixels so close to your face) is certainly noticeable. Doesn't detract from the immersion, but does reduce image quality significantly. You kind of stop noticing after a while, but it is always there. Hopefully will be less of an issue with higher resolution retail versions.
* looking far off into the distance does suffer from blurry mess syndrome. In real life, your eyes magnify far away objects and I found myself repeatedly trying to do the same... obviously doesn't work. Again, perhaps an increase in rez might go some ways towards rectifying the problem.
* Most (all?) OR-enabled software had v-sync disabled (to minimize head-tracking latency). Screen tearing can be ugly when you see it, but wasn't particularly common (thanks to the game only having to output in 1280x800). Will try turning it on next time and see how much it affects things.
* Setting interpupillary distance seems to be pretty important. When I first jumped into TF2, I didn't bother running the vr_calibration console command and when I took the goggles off after a couple of minutes, my eyes had difficulty focussing for 30 seconds or so. Strangely, I didn't seem to have any issue with the sixense Tuscany demo, which I played for a lot longer (and has no such calibration... unless I missed it). Maybe my IPD is close to the default for the latter software.
* Managed to play about 15-20 minutes before motion sickness started rearing its head (and gradually worsening). Having read previous advice that it is not something you can push past, I stopped for the night. I'm told that it is something you get used to over time. See how I go tonight.
* Properly designed UI is key to the experience - TF2, while fantastic, really needs to work on a more readable UI in-game. Text is just too blurry to read. The tuscany hydra demo, on the other hand has absolutely nailed it.

The experience really is something to behold... once they get the resolution up and games are specifically designed for the platform (ie. minimal/clean user interface, separate head/body facing, stereo shadows), I can't see myself playing games any other way.

Up next: Dear Esther, Skyrim.

Really want to play the Hydra-enabled Portal 2 with OR, but it's an either/or dilemma (playing with Hydra disables the mouse, which is what Vireo Perception uses to enable OR head tracking). Maybe Valve will pull a rabbit out of a hat someday and fix it for us. :)
Mekon

I Draw Sustenance From Destroying Your Hyperbole

Unread postby Curlew » 1 May 13, 5:01 pm

As Mekon said, it is very immersive, its pretty cool to be able to look around inside a virtual world.
The head-tracking is very responsive; I really can't detect lag with orientation tracking of my head. That said, the lack of positional tracking breaks immersion big time, for instance in a Helicopter flight demo, I try to lean out the cockpit and look down from the seat but my head is fixed in position and end up just looking through my shoulder.
I stereoscopy is OK i guess, but the lack of resolution seems reduce the quality somewhat, rockets/sticky-bombs in TF2 look neat.

I get motion sick (sick isn't really the right word, not nausea, more like confusion, confusion that lasts for up to an hour after taking the HMD off!) really fast in some demos, hardly at all in others. I'm slowly getting used to it, but about 45 mins pulls me up. The fastest way to induce this feeling is to spin on the spot in the tuscany demo and track a point on the horizon with my head, my body tells my mind what im seeing is just plain wrong, it's the weirdest feeling, like a short burst of dizzy. On the roller coaster demo, going over the big dip at the top of the track surprisingly doesn't ensicken me, but at the bottom, when the track tilts to go around bends and my POV doesn't change (your avatar stays vertical at all times), that's what disorients me most. I never get sea-sick and I love amusement park rides, this is some kind of other motion sickness and I have a hard time describing it.

The screen is just plain ****, the resolution needs to be at least 1920x1080/1200 but more like 4K, and the pixel response time makes even slightly fast movement blurry. Also the FOV is claimed to be 110degrees, but I reckon its 90 tops, you are blinkered in the periphery all around. I've adjusted the lenses all the way in, but i get much better FOV when I squash the unit to my face, compressing the foam until my eyelashes brush the lenses, but it needs to be way more than that imho.

I played TF2 for about 20 mins, but the inability to read the console, or read chat to play around with the various control schemes was a bit frustrating as the default controls were a bit hard to get used to. Will revisit it tonight and play with settings in more detail.

To sum up, don't get one yet, unless you aim to develop for it. Subsequent revisions will get better i'm sure, but it is a long way from consumer ready.
Curlew

Player

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 2 May 13, 7:38 am

...well isn't it the dev version you got? Which would kind of indicate... well, you know, for developers? :P

Is interesting to hear the reports though! Looking forward to the resolution issues being fixed up so it becomes more usable.
People often say "Dodger, are you this weird in the real world?"

You be the judge.
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby llllTrooperllll » 2 May 13, 8:48 am

Thanks for the interesting reviews :)
I wish my grass was Emo, then it would cut itself!
llllTrooperllll

Padawan

Unread postby Sathias » 2 May 13, 9:12 am

Sounds very interesting but at the same time I'm glad I decided to wait for the higher rez version :)

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Robert Anton Wilson
Sathias

Not allowed to leave

Unread postby Mekon » 2 May 13, 10:47 am

Curlew wrote:Also the FOV is claimed to be 110degrees, but I reckon its 90 tops, you are blinkered in the periphery all around. I've adjusted the lenses all the way in, but i get much better FOV when I squash the unit to my face, compressing the foam until my eyelashes brush the lenses, but it needs to be way more than that imho.

I can't say I've really noticed that... out of interest, what is your IPD (the TF2 vr calibration will give it to you)?

I was wondering if your eyes are further apart than mine, which may mean that the position of the lenses in the goggles aren't properly lined up with your vision. That would certainly affect the perceived FOV.

edit: I believe it is something they are considering for the retail release - the ability to adjust the lens position horizontally.
Mekon

Unread postby Bicketybam » 4 May 13, 1:19 pm

ImageImage
" " - Silent Bob

Gamers can really come across with a pathetically huge sense of self entitlement at times
Bicketybam

Senior TF2 Admin

Unread postby Mekon » 9 May 13, 11:23 am

And here's what I've been waiting for:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 40#p124272

Minecrift! :D

Given that Mojang, despite having had dev kits for far longer than most other backers, haven't pulled their fingers out... some random/genius/legend by the name of StellaArtois has been patching in Rift support. All without even having a Rift of his own. :shock:

It's very clearly in alpha state - you have to hack the minecraft.jar and jump though a few other hoops. Also, the UI hasn't been touched as yet (really only an issue for inventory management, TBH - it's easy to look down and see what is in your hand, after all) and other mods aren't explicitly supported (due to the hack state of the mod).

That said, head tracking works fine (although I can't recommend strongly enough that you turn mouse sensitivity down to at least 30% or lower, or you will blow chunks - the simplest nudge of the mouse at 100% seems to spin you around 720 degrees in a nanosecond), stereoscopy works, head position is good (although it's fairly strange at the same time - vertical dimensions are far more apparent once you're "in" the world).

Can't wait to see what a proper 3D UI might add to things. As things currently stand, it would appear head tracking is directly tied to body facing, which is sub-par - Minecraft clearly tracks head facing internally (as you can see in MP, watching others), would be nice to see that dealt with a little differently.
Mekon

Unread postby v4moose » 10 May 13, 4:57 am

somone post in big bold writing when normal consumers can buy this I beg of you
Hit me up on Steam!
A really annoying sig used to be here
v4moose

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Cas Bitton » 10 May 13, 10:40 am

v4moose wrote:somone post in big bold writing when normal consumers can buy this I beg of you

When a consumer model drops, you are going to hear about it. People will rush to get their hands on it.

Yep, It's that good :)
Follow us: Image Image Image
Cas Bitton

Dos Capas

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 19 Jun 13, 8:02 am

Little bump, but some big news out overnight...

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/vr-gets-vc/

In case you didn’t see the announcement, we have great news to share: we’ve raised $16 million in a Series A funding round co-led by Spark Capital and Matrix Partners, along with Founders Fund and Formation 8. This level of financial support opens incredible new doors for Oculus, and I’d like to provide a bit of context and backstory.

$16m in funding from 2 investment firms... That's pretty major.

You be the judge.
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby rec » 28 Jul 13, 8:44 pm

I posted this in a Rift MMO thread by accident, which is a video of my mother in law freaking out on Rift Coaster:

rec

Padawan

Unread postby Sathias » 28 Jul 13, 9:46 pm

haha funny as Rec :lol:

I do find it amusing that some people are so used to resisting swearing that even at a time like that all she said was "oh shivers" :D

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Robert Anton Wilson
Sathias

Not allowed to leave

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 29 Jul 13, 7:43 am

That was gold!

You be the judge.
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

PreviousNext