I just found something that is making my hardcore run a lot
easier. Evasive Fire with the Covering Fire rune. Replaced my bat.
Things to love about evasive fire:
- generates 4 hatred per shot
- hits hard - 3x 125%
- penetrates walls
. This means if I come across a waller I just stand behind using the wall as cover firing over it..
- hits instantly - no travel time.
- tracks - so using the 3-round burst rune, if I come across something annoying like groups of wasps, just stand there shooting and they all get tracked by homing bullets (has a pistol sound effect...).
- does stutter-stepping for you (stutter stepping is the demon hunter kite method like marines in Star Craft, where you fire, retreat, fire, retreat. This is very good for our latency, since it is purely server side.
- triggers tactical advantage on backflip, making you run fast.
Currently doing Act 2 nightmare without really getting hit using mostly evasive fire, fan of knives, and smoke screen with displacement rune and tactical advantage. I can run into a group, hit fan of knives, and get out with evasive fire before anyone reacts.
To make use of all the hatred generated, running cluster arrow with maelstrom. It hits really hard... the maelstrom it generates means everything is hit twice by the one burst, so can quickly get off a good 345% weapon damage against a group.