Mounted Combat Coming to Skyrim

General news and announcements

Mounted Combat Coming to Skyrim

Unread postby News Portal » 26 May 12, 9:23 am

A forthcoming free update to the smash-hit RPG is set to bring mounted combat into the land of Skyrim. The 1.6 update will bring a slew of bug fixes with it as well, including lighting crashes, loading and saving crashes, and fixes to broken quests. If you can't wait, you can enable the beta version on Steam by following the instructions here on the Bethblog.

Source: Bethblog

Read full article by GON News
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Mounted Combat Coming to Skyrim

Unread postby flabcab » 26 May 12, 9:24 am

Mount & Blade: Skyrim?
flabcab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby meji » 26 May 12, 9:40 am

People have wanted this in an ES game for a very long time and finally it is arriving and there seems to be a lot less fanfare about it then I thought. Perhaps this feature is a test for the ES MMO?
meji

Padawan

Unread postby Spooler » 26 May 12, 11:02 am

meji wrote: Perhaps this feature is a test for the ES MMO?

It's not, different team making the mmo.

It's pretty much just a franchise tie in
DarkMellie wrote:I love Wang.

Disco LT wrote:Love Gaytimes

GoN, where no one is afraid to show their love gaytimes or wang.
Spooler

Story Teller

Unread postby ryceg » 26 May 12, 11:40 am

Well this is pretty good news. I remember how much I hated the uselessness of the horses, you had to get off them simply to fight a mudcrab. That was annoying, and really broke the immersion for me. I'm glad to see that they are still pushing out updates, I think Skyrim, as mindless an RPG as it is, will have a pretty good life with the Steam Workshop integration.
ryceg

Player

Unread postby Goshawk » 26 May 12, 12:08 pm

Tried this with the beta version last night and yeah it's pretty alright. Only played around with it for 5 minutes or so.
www.taskforcedingo.com - An Australian/NZ Arma community.
Goshawk

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Nekosan » 26 May 12, 5:57 pm

Probably too late after release for me to really care, would have been a big selling point 6 months ago though.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Yurtles » 26 May 12, 6:03 pm

Watched a video of someone shooting arrows on horseback, looks pretty viable. Be good fun fighting a dragon like that.
Not so sure about melee weapons though, unless there's bonus to damage or something. Seems like charging in swinging a sword would just get your horse killed.
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby TheOriginalDaniel » 26 May 12, 8:48 pm

From the gameplay I've watched of it the AI just cannot handle the player strafing back and forth using melee, They don't seem to be able to land a hit :|
i5-3570K @3.4GHz(OC'd to 4GHz)|CM V8|Z68 Gen3|G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3-1600|2x HD5850 1GB|Corsair 500R Black|Corsair HX750W
TheOriginalDaniel

Padawan

Unread postby InAUGral » 27 May 12, 12:40 am

ryceg wrote:Well this is pretty good news. I remember how much I hated the uselessness of the horses, you had to get off them simply to fight a mudcrab. That was annoying, and really broke the immersion for me.

Yeah that would be good but I assume most melee weapons you cannot reach small enemies such as crabs anyway but good for cutting down enemy archers.
InAUGral

Story Teller

Unread postby brimlad » 27 May 12, 10:05 am

InAUGral wrote:I assume most melee weapons you cannot reach small enemies such as crabs anyway but good for cutting down enemy archers.
you can certainly kill wolves, didn't try it on a mud crab; the animation has the rider sliding down the saddle to be closer to the ground and you can hold your backswing by holding the mouse button and then releasing the swing as you line up your target which quickens the use of a two handed sword.
Dragon battles are much improved as they come to the ground to attack you and the speed of the horse allows you to circle around them to wield your blows and you can get a few in before they take off.
had a battle with 2 mammoths and got a few blows in but they killed my horse pretty quickly as I tried to ride between them.
one bug I did find was with giants, they just ignored me and swinging blows at them didn't activate a battle, they were like ghosts.
good feature mounted combat and when the patch is out of beta will make horses worthy of ownership.

cheers :)
(i7 5930K@3.6 GA-X99SoC 16gbRipJ 7970x2 S27a950d W8.1P)ClanPwRPlaY
brimlad

Game Admin

Return to News:: General