''The truth is DRM does not work'', says CD Projekt Red

General news and announcements

''The truth is DRM does not work'', says CD Projekt Red

Unread postby News Portal » 21 May 12, 9:12 am

When CD Projekt Red released two versions of The Witcher 2, one that shipped with DRM, and one that came digitally and DRM-free via GOG.com, which do you think would be pirated first? Copying the file and giving it to a friend without DRM would seem simplest, surely. But the numbers have shown that the boxed, DRM'd version was pirated more and faster.

Guillaume Rambourg, GOG.com's managing director says the DRM itself is at fault. "My guess is, that releasing an unprotected game is not the real deal, you have to crack it to gain respect and be able to write: “cracked by XYZ.” How would “not cracked by XYZ, as there was nothing to crack” sound? A bit silly, wouldn’t it?" CD Projekt's CEO agrees, saying "The truth is [DRM] does not work. It’s as simple as that. ... I do not see any future for DRM at all."

Source: Forbes

Read full article by GON News
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: ''The truth is DRM does not work'', says CD Projekt Red

Unread postby Bluefire » 21 May 12, 9:27 am

DRM = Legit owners + Pirates download to avoid your ****.
No DRM = Only Pirates download.

Sadly the future for DRM isnt "No DRM" its going to be "Always On DRM" aka BF3/Diablo3.

Sure you could pirate BF3, but what would be the point, singleplayer was **** and the game may as well have shipped without it.
Sure you could pirate diablo3... but what would be the point ?
You cannot play eihter without an account and 24/7/365.25 fast, highly stable internet connection.
Bluefire

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby cyclobs » 21 May 12, 9:29 am

Have my babbies
cyclobs

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Disco LT » 21 May 12, 9:29 am

Bluefire wrote:Sadly the future for DRM isnt "No DRM" its going to be "Always On DRM" aka BF3/Diablo3.

It's a bleak future if all we've got to look forward to from here on in are laggy single player games :(
Disco LT

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby cyclobs » 21 May 12, 9:31 am

Disco LT wrote:
Bluefire wrote:Sadly the future for DRM isnt "No DRM" its going to be "Always On DRM" aka BF3/Diablo3.

It's a bleak future if all we've got to look forward to from here on in are laggy single player games :(

or **** multiplayer games where you have to rely on swearing 10 year olds to have fun
cyclobs

Unread postby Cyrinno » 21 May 12, 10:15 am

Disco LT wrote:

Tell me about it Diablo 3's latency has been horrible. It's all over the place especially when the Americans are on.
Cyrinno

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby thefinn » 21 May 12, 10:40 am

Think of the children!

DRM is one of the more stupid acts of gaming companies (and let's face it, there's a lot of stupid acts by gaming companies) in the modern era.
thefinn

Padawan

Unread postby DarkMellie » 21 May 12, 12:16 pm

Sadly, it seems they've either succumbed to their own PR or they're being deliberately misleading. The nom-DRM wasn't touched out of a twisted sense of respect for CDPR's DRM stance, we've seen similar notions of respect during Anonymous' time in the sun.

If all companies went DRM free does anyone honestly think no-one would steal games anymore?
ImageImage
GoN TS Channel: Mellie's Random Games
Channel Password: gonmellie
DarkMellie

Unread postby Auld » 21 May 12, 12:27 pm

DarkMellie wrote:Sadly, it seems they've either succumbed to their own PR or they're being deliberately misleading. The nom-DRM wasn't touched out of a twisted sense of respect for CDPR's DRM stance, we've seen similar notions of respect during Anonymous' time in the sun.

If all companies went DRM free does anyone honestly think no-one would steal games anymore?

Thats a bit of weird logic though, there has been DRM for years and it hasn't stopped people stealing games. But it does make producing them more expensive.
Auld

Unread postby DarthLondar » 21 May 12, 12:36 pm

DarkMellie wrote:If all companies went DRM free does anyone honestly think no-one would steal games anymore?

Piracy is always going to exist, and it's inevitable that any form of DRM will eventually be cracked, so why waste money on it when you could be using it to improve your game? The only people making money off of it are the companies that license DRM out to gaming companies, eg. SecuROM, TAGES.
DarthLondar

Padawan

Unread postby Novocaine » 21 May 12, 2:45 pm

Cyrinno wrote:Tell me about it Diablo 3's latency has been horrible. It's all over the place especially when the Americans are on.

You must have a terrible connection, I haven't had any lag at all, even on launch day.
PLAYGUUU AAHHHH!
Novocaine

Unread postby RSOblivion » 21 May 12, 3:42 pm

Get to Hell level and you'll see the lag...

D3 is the most obvious incarnation of it, but I think Ubisoft are the ones who really showed how bad DRM can be for their bottom line. They went from AMD like competition for EA to almost and indie publisher within 3 years of forced online DRM.
RSOblivion

Padawan

Unread postby Mekon » 21 May 12, 4:53 pm

RSOblivion wrote:I think Ubisoft are the ones who really showed how bad DRM can be for their bottom line. They went from AMD like competition for EA to almost and indie publisher within 3 years of forced online DRM.

Buh? Ubisoft is doing just fine - they are still the 3rd largest publisher in both Europe and the US...

The reason they saw a sharp decrease in revenue back in 2009 was because the bottom fell out of the casual DS/Wii video game market (no great surprise). They moved out of that segment and are kicking along quite happily.

Their online DRM hasn't affected their bottom line much, if at all - probably because they are predominantly focused on the console side of the market. PC is (and always has been) the ugly red-headed sister.
Mekon

I Draw Sustenance From Destroying Your Hyperbole

Unread postby xanarax » 22 May 12, 4:31 pm

Look, DRM isn't to stop piracy 100%. It's about keeping honest people honest. A successful launch can make or break a game being profitable.

They need to do it, while I don't agree with always on DRM. I think there are ways you can implement it and give a value added bonus, such as say Steam where users can download it on any machine with their login and use their cloud and mod services.

Poor implementations are Games for Windows Live (even though I've never had any problems personally) and Ubisoft's always on. Blizzard's Diablo 3 implementation I can see the merit in it, however until they've ironed out the kinks users will experience problems.
xanarax

Padawan

Unread postby Krogan » 22 May 12, 8:51 pm

Well DRM was never designed to stop online piracy, it's only purpose has been to stop amateur piracy, aka borrowing out a game you played to your siblings or friend etc.
Krogan

Jedi Upstart

Next

Return to News:: General