BioWare Admit to ''Playing Catch-Up'' With PVP in SW:TOR

General news and announcements

Moderator: Content Admins

BioWare Admit to ''Playing Catch-Up'' With PVP in SW:TOR

Unread postby News Portal » 3 May 12, 2:47 pm

When SW:TOR was in concept stage, BioWare didn't design the game to be particularly PVP-focused. Since launch, however, the dev team have realised what a draw PVP is, and are trying to play catch-up. In an interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Daniel Erikson, lead designer for SW:TOR, claimed that "although we had not originally planned the game to be heavily PVP-focused, the ease of getting in and playing the Warzones combined with their fun design gave us the highest PvP participation of any modern triple-A MMO." He went on to say that upon learning this they "turned a huge amount of our resources to PVP development, but we’re still playing a bit of catch-up, and that is understandably frustrating to our most advanced PVP users.” Read the full interview here.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Read full article by GON News
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: BioWare Admit to ''Playing Catch-Up'' With PVP in SW:TOR

Unread postby Nekosan » 3 May 12, 2:52 pm

the ease of getting in and playing the Warzones combined with their fun design gave us the highest PvP participation of any modern triple-A MMO

Suuuuure... even if that statistic IS true then it's because there's nothing else to do most of the time except pvp. Also, the warzone design in SWTOR is rubbish and I don't ever remember reading a comment in game that said otherwise.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby spawneh » 3 May 12, 2:54 pm

Also add the fact that it was so easy to get superior gear by completing the pvp dailies than it was to do the hard mode flashpoints. Win 1 game a day and 5(?) in a week for a chance at high level pvp gear that was better than the entry level pve gear. Which results in everyone doing it for that quick reward.
spawneh

Padawan

Unread postby Bronze_D » 3 May 12, 4:59 pm

2 words bioware:

TOO LATE

especially once the other better fleshed MMOs in that regard comes knocking (here comes GW2 with the nuclear bomb for that), and only now they wanna start catching up?
Bronze_D

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Vencha88 » 3 May 12, 5:04 pm

Wait Warzones in SWTOR suck? From beta I was always happy that points were awarded for defending and playing the objective unlike lots of other ones. That and Huttball rocks.
Vencha88

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby X66WeeD666X » 3 May 12, 6:28 pm

Vencha88 wrote:Wait Warzones in SWTOR suck? From beta I was always happy that points were awarded for defending and playing the objective unlike lots of other ones. That and Huttball rocks.

More that fact that the game shipped with 3 WZs and a buggy with nothing really to do open world PVP zone.

It's freaking Star Wars and i can't assault a fortress with tons of laser guns?
|i7/980x@4.2ghz|12G DDR3@2000MHZ|2xHD7970 CUII|2x500GB|G19 & Naga|3x40" LED|

|Tera - Spawneh- MT|
|BF4 - X666WeeD666X|
X66WeeD666X

Padawan

Unread postby Vencha88 » 3 May 12, 6:40 pm

X66WeeD666X wrote:
Vencha88 wrote:Wait Warzones in SWTOR suck? From beta I was always happy that points were awarded for defending and playing the objective unlike lots of other ones. That and Huttball rocks.

More that fact that the game shipped with 3 WZs and a buggy with nothing really to do open world PVP zone.

It's freaking Star Wars and i can't assault a fortress with tons of laser guns?

Yeah Illum was pretty terrible, but I really don't think the Warzone's sucked, I've been PVPing in them since release and can't say any of them make me quit. Also, a few of the Operations and Flashpoints do exactly what you describe,
Vencha88

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby X66WeeD666X » 3 May 12, 6:47 pm

Until i can force choke a Jedi player atop his fortress this will not be a complete game for me.
|i7/980x@4.2ghz|12G DDR3@2000MHZ|2xHD7970 CUII|2x500GB|G19 & Naga|3x40" LED|

|Tera - Spawneh- MT|
|BF4 - X666WeeD666X|
X66WeeD666X

Padawan

Unread postby Vencha88 » 3 May 12, 6:52 pm

X66WeeD666X wrote:Until i can force choke a Jedi player atop his fortress this will not be a complete game for me.

Force Pushed a Sith of a cliff in the Novare Warzone the other day, does that count?
Vencha88

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Polarice » 3 May 12, 7:24 pm

Vencha88 wrote:
X66WeeD666X wrote:Until i can force choke a Jedi player atop his fortress this will not be a complete game for me.

Force Pushed a Sith of a cliff in the Novare Warzone the other day, does that count?

I can remember the days of playing Dark forces and their follow ons with one particular map, the Deathstar throne room. That thing would suck people out of the broken window.
Force push in TOR is just as hilarious!!
Rum is More than just a Breakfast Food!!!!

Polarice

CoD Admin

Unread postby GoToadGo » 3 May 12, 7:47 pm

Tas incoming in 3...2....
GoToadGo

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby iambeanie » 3 May 12, 8:19 pm

spawneh wrote:Also add the fact that it was so easy to get superior gear by completing the pvp dailies than it was to do the hard mode flashpoints. Win 1 game a day and 5(?) in a week for a chance at high level pvp gear that was better than the entry level pve gear. Which results in everyone doing it for that quick reward.

It was 3 on the daily and 9 on the weekly but they only gave a handful of bags that had a very low chance at ANY gear. That and PvP gear isn't really interchangeable with PvE, the best PvP gear won't be as effective in PvE as the best PvE gear.
SWTOR - The Swiftsure
Volfhosef - BH
Laolath - OP

iambeanie

Padawan

Unread postby Nekosan » 3 May 12, 9:06 pm

Vencha88 wrote:Yeah Illum was pretty terrible, but I really don't think the Warzone's sucked, I've been PVPing in them since release and can't say any of them make me quit. Also, a few of the Operations and Flashpoints do exactly what you describe,

The way the scoring etc works is fine, I think most people just found the map designs to be a bit lackluster.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Burty13 » 3 May 12, 10:16 pm

D3 and GW2 will hopefully knock it down a few more pegs.
Burty13

Padawan

Unread postby spawneh » 3 May 12, 11:10 pm

iambeanie wrote:
spawneh wrote:Also add the fact that it was so easy to get superior gear by completing the pvp dailies than it was to do the hard mode flashpoints. Win 1 game a day and 5(?) in a week for a chance at high level pvp gear that was better than the entry level pve gear. Which results in everyone doing it for that quick reward.

It was 3 on the daily and 9 on the weekly but they only gave a handful of bags that had a very low chance at ANY gear. That and PvP gear isn't really interchangeable with PvE, the best PvP gear won't be as effective in PvE as the best PvE gear.

At the time it was so much easier to get than doing buggy hard mode flashpoints. The gear was also better simply due to its much higher level, something that was so easy to get and still useful until you got better gear. I know its probably changed since I last played in January, but they were talking about high participation since release?
spawneh

Padawan

Next

Return to News:: General