Jade Raymond Says We Should All Grow Up

General news and announcements

Moderator: Content Admins

Jade Raymond Says We Should All Grow Up

Unread postby News Portal » 18 Apr 12, 1:13 pm

General Manager of Ubisoft Toronto, Jade Raymond, has called us all out to be more mature as an industry, and stop relying on explosions to sell a game. “I think we don’t need to make the equivalent to a Michael Bay flick in order to sell five million copies. I think things can be exciting, have meaning and hit important topics, and I’m not the only one that thinks that.”

She went on to say, “Games, I think, have even more potential than that given that on top of the narrative side we do have all of the gameplay mechanics and we create rule sets from scratch which can have any kind of meaning embedded in them. It’s not easy to do that, because it requires breaking our recipe and trying to find new recipes, but I think it’s an important thing for us to strive for.”

Source: VG247 (fellow Jade Raymond fangirl, Brenna Hillier)

Read full article by GON News
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Jade Raymond Says We Should All Grow Up

Unread postby Collect0r » 18 Apr 12, 1:15 pm

Bit hard to grow up as an industry when a significant portion of it aims their material at teens.

In a perfect world Jade.. In a perfect world
Collect0r

Padawan

Unread postby nafem » 18 Apr 12, 1:27 pm

games is to have fun doing stuff you cant in real life. for me anyways.

so if i wanna steal a car or bash a cop, or kill someone or something, then a game lets me do it :)

plus everyone loves explosions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAWR! BOOM!

my comment almost makes me look psychopathic, oh noes hes gonna kill everyone in real life!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
nafem

Padawan

Unread postby a3gis » 18 Apr 12, 1:34 pm

you know what else you don't need to sell 5 million copies? region ****.
a3gis

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Timmy_Tim » 18 Apr 12, 1:36 pm

Its all talk sadly. For too long has the industry been criticised for lack of variety in game mechanic and innovation with recycled features. We can think of the good old companies and games like Bullfrog with their Syndicate wars series and Dungeon keeper as a couple examples. Also Freespace, Crusader: No Remorse, Giants: citizen Kabuto and Die by the Sword - to name a few.

All of these example games were made at least a decade ago and still managed to add such unique gameplay elements that lack in and outdoes games today. But as we all know, the top guys who probably only played space invaders back in the day feel they should stick with repetition of the CoD series for security.

Head managers can announce claims we already know, but do they have the power to or did anything notable to improve the industry? So far, the answer has been No.
You all saw it! That Orphanage tried to burn me down first!
Timmy_Tim

Player

Unread postby Yurtles » 18 Apr 12, 1:48 pm

The creative types aren't in charge anymore, we'll never see anything from the big publishers ever again that could be seen as any type of gamble. It's all baysplosions all the way from here to eternity.
That said, Kickstarter's a nice step forward from self-funded indy companies throwing their games up on Steam and I'm excited to see where the next leap might take us. We may yet one day find ourselves with "AAA" games that innovate once again.
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

Story Teller

Unread postby diamondd » 18 Apr 12, 1:52 pm

well obviously, I think the indie devs worked this out a long time ago...

I haven't bought any big-budget steaming piles for years now
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby baghwan » 18 Apr 12, 2:21 pm

I'll buy your game Jade!...
baghwan

Player

Unread postby Ball0fire » 18 Apr 12, 2:58 pm

i find that funny that she says we dont need asplosions like Michael Bay movies to sell 5 millions copies of a game

and yet thats the same thing thats happening with the movie industry with big movies, they all full of asplosions

isnt that the defenition of irony?
Ball0fire

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Rye64 » 18 Apr 12, 3:04 pm

baghwan wrote:I'll buy your game Jade!...

Oh I would definitely buy jades game ;)
Rye64

Player

Unread postby Krogan » 18 Apr 12, 5:13 pm

Why would anyone buy a Ubisoft game? Jade may be cute but she sure as hell isn't cute enough for me to compromise my integrity just to buy another crappy Ubisoft title.

I guess what Jade is talking about is that the game industry doesn't have any equivalents of Justine Timberlake, Jennifer Aniston or Aston Kutcher movies...
Krogan

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Deserteagle1266 » 18 Apr 12, 5:29 pm

nafem wrote:games is to have fun doing stuff you cant in real life. for me anyways.

so if i wanna steal a car or bash a cop, or kill someone or something, then a game lets me do it :)

plus everyone loves explosions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAWR! BOOM!

my comment almost makes me look psychopathic, oh noes hes gonna kill everyone in real life!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i was gunna post this ;)
Deserteagle1266

Padawan

Unread postby Shaolin$alesman » 18 Apr 12, 5:31 pm

Krogan wrote:
I guess what Jade is talking about is that the game industry doesn't have any equivalents of Justine Timberlake, Jennifer Aniston or Aston Kutcher movies...

Thats what mobile & "social" games are, and CoD.

Another person who is in essence a "suit" who does not really know what she is talking about and this article seems more of an excuse to get her picture up so people can be all like" HOT GAMER CHICK"

There are a lot of games out there that are not all explosions and they sell really well, sure they aint CoD ( which is the Justin Bieber of the games world all hype nothing that fantastic but people gobble it up and buy it )
Leelu Dallas Multipass!
Shaolin$alesman

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Collect0r » 18 Apr 12, 5:51 pm

Krogan wrote:Why would anyone buy a Ubisoft game? Jade may be cute but she sure as hell isn't cute enough for me to compromise my integrity just to buy another crappy Ubisoft title.

First of all, I fail to see what her physical appearance has to do with you purchasing a given product. Think with your brain, not your ****.... or maybe you already are?

Assassin's Creed
Anno
Brothers in Arms
Dark Messiah
Far Cry
IL-2 Sturmovik
Rayman
Settlers 4
Tom Clancy (Entire series)
TES 3 Morrowind <-- the best one yet
World in conflict

Granted this is personal opinion but that list there is but a fraction of what ubisoft have their names on. They have spawned some of the classics that I will remember for a long time. Why would I buy a ubisoft title? because their history is full of terrific games and apart from the "From Dust" DRM incident, they havn't **** up as a company so far.
Collect0r

Padawan

Unread postby Da Chucky » 18 Apr 12, 6:20 pm

Collect0r wrote:
Krogan wrote:Why would anyone buy a Ubisoft game? Jade may be cute but she sure as hell isn't cute enough for me to compromise my integrity just to buy another crappy Ubisoft title.

First of all, I fail to see what her physical appearance has to do with you purchasing a given product. Think with your brain, not your ****.... or maybe you already are?

Assassin's Creed
Anno
Brothers in Arms
Dark Messiah
Far Cry
IL-2 Sturmovik
Rayman
Settlers 4
Tom Clancy (Entire series)
TES 3 Morrowind <-- the best one yet
World in conflict

Granted this is personal opinion but that list there is but a fraction of what ubisoft have their names on. They have spawned some of the classics that I will remember for a long time. Why would I buy a ubisoft title? because their history is full of terrific games and apart from the "From Dust" DRM incident, they havn't **** up as a company so far.

I think there were also DRM problems with Settlers 7 (can't remember exactly, didn't buy it) but for the most part, you're right. Loved Assassins Creed and Far Cry. Played the hell out of World in Conflict (seriously it was awesome. I think it's still going strong in Europe) and recently had the pleasure of being reacquainted with Rayman. I think for the most part Ubisoft has done pretty well with itself, bar the near constant complains about DRM in recent times.
Hidden: show
Slazza wrote:Banned for being God of this thread.
Da Chucky

Bride of Chucky

Next

Return to News:: General