Grab the Original Fallout for Free Today on GOG.com

General news and announcements

Grab the Original Fallout for Free Today on GOG.com

Unread postby News Portal » 6 Apr 12, 11:51 am

With everyone widely speculating that the free game being given away by CD Projekt Red would be The Witcher, the company has surprised us all and revealed that it is actually the original [app=2150]Fallout[/app]. You can head over to GOG.com and grab it right now for free. Enjoy!

Source: GOG.com. Thanks to Agent Dark for the heads-up!

Read full article by GON News
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Grab the Original Fallout for Free Today on GOG.com

Unread postby Yurtles » 6 Apr 12, 11:57 am

Crazy.
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Syncourt » 6 Apr 12, 12:28 pm

Thanks for the heads up :D
Syncourt

Story Teller

Unread postby nit3hunt3r » 6 Apr 12, 12:34 pm

:thumbs_up:
nit3hunt3r

Padawan

Unread postby Matty » 6 Apr 12, 12:42 pm

I loved 3. Never played the originals so this is good. :)
Matty

Forum Bot

Unread postby Zombywolf » 6 Apr 12, 2:03 pm

Just putting this out there: Tyrian 2000 is also free, and just as awesome a classic as fallout :D
Without my pants.
Zombywolf

Story Teller

Unread postby Paastie » 6 Apr 12, 3:00 pm

For those who haven't played it yet, some quick tips:

Mechanically, it's much more complex than Fallout 3/NV. The controls feel a little backwards in this day and age, but it isn't too bad once you get used to it.

Just remember, right-click controls what sort of action you do with the left (i.e, toggling between moving, talking, attacking, etc).

Inventory space management skills will be needed later on.
The dialogue is pretty deep and there are a few neat characters.

Don't rush into combat! If you don't know what you're doing, a pack of rats can kill you. So if you see a radscorpion nest or raider hideout, make sure you're 100% ready to tackle them.

Save often!

Maybe not for your first character, but if you make someone with an intelligence of 1, their dialogue options turn into a hilarious romp because they tend to talk like a caveman.

Other than that, the graphics are reminiscent of Age of Empires which is kind of nice. Get it now!
Paastie

Player

Unread postby lucassot » 6 Apr 12, 3:03 pm

Paastie wrote:For those who haven't played it yet, some quick tips:

Mechanically, it's much more complex than Fallout 3/NV. The controls feel a little backwards in this day and age, but it isn't too bad once you get used to it.

Just remember, right-click controls what sort of action you do with the left (i.e, toggling between moving, talking, attacking, etc).

Inventory space management skills will be needed later on.
The dialogue is pretty deep and there are a few neat characters.

Don't rush into combat! If you don't know what you're doing, a pack of rats can kill you. So if you see a radscorpion nest or raider hideout, make sure you're 100% ready to tackle them.

Save often!

Maybe not for your first character, but if you make someone with an intelligence of 1, their dialogue options turn into a hilarious romp because they tend to talk like a caveman.

Other than that, the graphics are reminiscent of Age of Empires which is kind of nice. Get it now!

Thanks mate good post, I've never actually played the original Fallout games for some reason! Looking forward to it, been cranking Doom lately too. Retro ftw.
lucassot

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby InAUGral » 6 Apr 12, 3:36 pm

I have had the game on GOG.com for ages and cannot get into it as no matter where I go I get mobbed by 5 giant lizards and do not find a single weapon beforehand so I have to verse them with my fists.
InAUGral

Story Teller

Unread postby Nightstaar » 6 Apr 12, 3:46 pm

Zombywolf wrote:Just putting this out there: Tyrian 2000 is also free, and just as awesome a classic as fallout :D

I discovered this signing up to GOG today! I loved this back in the day. It's damn hard though :|

I also grabbed Cannon Fodder, and added a million games to my wishlist :D
Nightstaar

Story Teller

Unread postby Aphyosis » 6 Apr 12, 5:01 pm

InAUGral wrote:I have had the game on GOG.com for ages and cannot get into it as no matter where I go I get mobbed by 5 giant lizards and do not find a single weapon beforehand so I have to verse them with my fists.

As another tip from a FO1 fan, heres my 5 cents...

As per above quote, this game will not baby you at all. If your character is not capable of combat, do not engage. Run. It won't pull FO3's trick of letting you pause and health up. Just remember, your another nobody in a radioactive hellhole that is going to die and you'll be fine =p My first playthrough i got my **** kicked in by a Radscorpion pack 5 minutes in, something i couldn't kill until i had a automatic weapon and help. There is very little scaling of hostile monsters to your level.

Secondly, Friendly fire exists. Try avoid standing infront on teammates, particularily ones with burst weapons. They'll rip you to pieces on occaison.

Most importantly, as has already been mentioned, it's a very different game to FO3. Just enjoy the setting and don't compare it. It's pure magic from another era. Like Stalker, Fallout pulls of a beautiful sense of desolation with pop culture all through it. Theres nothing like it.
Aphyosis

Padawan

Unread postby Instinx » 6 Apr 12, 6:16 pm

I managed to kill 4 radscorpions with fists :D this was on standard difficulty too haha.

but you need to kill more then just 4... and i can't get supplies yet.
Instinx

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Marius » 6 Apr 12, 6:38 pm

I found Fallout 1 incredibly simple compared to Fallout 3, and especially New Vegas.

Get a sniper rifle and aim at head - enemy dies. Repeat another 5 times per map. Then game ends in less than 12 hours.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby nit3hunt3r » 6 Apr 12, 7:11 pm

Marius wrote:I found Fallout 1 incredibly simple compared to Fallout 3, and especially New Vegas.

Get a sniper rifle and aim at head - enemy dies. Repeat another 5 times per map. Then game ends in less than 12 hours.
Uh, OT, but isn't that what you're doing in F3/NV?
nit3hunt3r

Padawan

Unread postby Marius » 6 Apr 12, 7:54 pm

Fallout New Vegas/3 promoted use of more/different weapons with the weapon repair and unique weapons. I purposely kept several different weapons on hand so to avoid degrading my heavier weapons. Fallout 1 I didn't have to bother.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Next

Return to News:: General