Opinion: In Defence of Dick

General news and announcements

Re: Opinion: In Defence of Dick

Unread postby jerichosainte » 4 Apr 12, 5:58 pm

this is how they have always sold their games, with display copy on the shelf and multiples out back. Any regular Dick Smith customer could have told you as much, but perhaps that’s the main issue: The majority of people who attended the sale weren’t regular customers.

Arguing the customer is to blame for not know what's on sale because its not on the sale floor is ridiculous!?!?

Clearly you do love Dick otherwise this statement would not have been made.

This was just a poorly managed sale.
jerichosainte

Padawan

Unread postby Rogue » 4 Apr 12, 6:13 pm

Bronze_D wrote:We know the staff will get first pick (hell many stores do that too, including ones i know of), we ALSO KNOW that the public does not appreciate such blatant display when staff haul stock out right before the sale so we don't do that IN FRONT OF THEM.

I mean seriously, they were ASKING FOR IT...

QFT.
Rogue

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Yurtles » 4 Apr 12, 6:15 pm

jerichosainte wrote:
this is how they have always sold their games, with display copy on the shelf and multiples out back. Any regular Dick Smith customer could have told you as much, but perhaps that’s the main issue: The majority of people who attended the sale weren’t regular customers.

Arguing the customer is to blame for not know what's on sale because its not on the sale floor is ridiculous!?!?

Clearly you do love Dick otherwise this statement would not have been made.

This was just a poorly managed sale.

Paragraphs are an inclusive thing. You can't cut one in half just because that part contains the nicely inflammatory bit. Not unless you work for ACA or The Australian anyway.
Matt was on his way to making a different point by using that example when you cut him off. That point being that he loves Dick
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby DXPetti » 4 Apr 12, 6:36 pm

Did anyone try to price match with other stores.

I had EB tell me they couldn't price match the Wii + Wii Fit SKU because "Its a bundle and we all buy and sell at different rates" and once I mentioned it was from Dick Smith they couldn't because "if we did, we would be out of business too"

Seemed like a **** cop out to me, especially the first excuse
DXPetti

Unread postby Cyrinno » 4 Apr 12, 6:50 pm

Staff definately should get some of it, when I was in retail it was always upsetting when you wern't allowed to put any side and had to wait for your "first break" well too late really. It's all gone.

What I've seen lately in some retails, BIGW in particular is they have massive too good to be true sales and when you get in there is no stock. It seems to be becoming the norm get you in to buy 1 thing on sale and make you walk out with 10 things that arn't.
Cyrinno

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby justice` » 4 Apr 12, 6:52 pm

DXPetti wrote:Did anyone try to price match with other stores.

I had EB tell me they couldn't price match the Wii + Wii Fit SKU because "Its a bundle and we all buy and sell at different rates" and once I mentioned it was from Dick Smith they couldn't because "if we did, we would be out of business too"

I price matched 2 G27s for two customers. Most if not all of DSEs stock was sold within half an hour of opening. It sounds like the staff member you spoke to was just a new scrub, not trying to **** you over.

edit: also, I love the sense of entitlement people have developed. It's hilarious.
justice`

Padawan

Unread postby Hawker45 » 4 Apr 12, 6:55 pm

DXPetti wrote:Did anyone try to price match with other stores.

I doubt they buy for different prices. However, what's in it for them to price match a console $100 under cost or a $2 game. The only reason you want them to price match is because its not in stock at DS.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD
Hawker45

Padawan

Unread postby DXPetti » 4 Apr 12, 7:29 pm

justice` wrote:edit: also, I love the sense of entitlement people have developed. It's hilarious.

I'm a very reasonable man, hence why I didn't question or complain about the answer I was given to the staff. Instead I was hoping to gather results from what others may have experience to see if it was similar.

Hawker45 wrote:However, what's in it for them to price match a console $100 under cost or a $2 game. The only reason you want them to price match is because its not in stock at DS.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if they can't price match it, just be a man and say "sorry, that price is too low and we simply cannot match it" rather than give me some made up sauce. I play **** very well, don't try that **** on me, especially when I am driving all over town for it.
DXPetti

Unread postby ^42alpha^ » 4 Apr 12, 7:44 pm

Spectral wrote:
Jnr wrote:
Trixxter wrote:Didn't we kinda cover this in the General Discussion?

"is it really that unimaginable that a worker would be entitled to special privileges by their employer as reward for their diligent service"

It wasn't the fact they had first pick, it's that they bought a large chuck of limited stock to begin with on sale, during a MASSIVE sale. Naturally that's going to piss anyone off who doesn't work at a Dick Smiths. I mean honestly, is it fair a Dick Smith employee can buy say, the only 3 PS3's on sale for himself, to sell for profit on Ebay, as opposed to 2-3 people who genuinely wanted to buy the console to actually USE it?

Stop generalizing. People have seen evidence of one staff member selling the stock he grabbed from his store off ebay and everyone seems to think this was the case among EVERY Dick Smith store. Most stores (like ours) gave up the staff reserved stock in order to keep customers happy.

You would defend the dick... one might go as far to say you even love the dick...

Thats funny,..LOL. :laugh:
^42alpha^

Padawan

Unread postby Irritus » 4 Apr 12, 7:48 pm

The whole concept of a sale like this is a bit dodgy anyway, hence, I suppose, the laws against advertising. What's really interesting imo, is that if they had priced the items for more it wouldn't have caused this mess. A goodly, but not stupid discount would have still shifted the stock, while also detering the resellers and maintaining some stock for everyone.
Irritus

Player

Unread postby InAUGral » 4 Apr 12, 7:56 pm

justice` wrote:
edit: also, I love the sense of entitlement people have developed. It's hilarious.

I love how this entire "leaked price list" began as a rumour and people immediately assumed the leak was genuine ofc Dick smith official confirmed it eventually.
InAUGral

Story Teller

Unread postby Hawker45 » 4 Apr 12, 8:01 pm

DXPetti wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if they can't price match it, just be a man and say "sorry, that price is too low and we simply cannot match it" rather than give me some made up sauce. I play **** very well, don't try that **** on me, especially when I am driving all over town for it.

Fair enough. I had a gentlemen come into the store I work at and asked me if we planned to match the prices. I politely told him I very much doubt it, for the reasons I gave you.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD
Hawker45

Padawan

Unread postby Jay » 4 Apr 12, 8:09 pm

Author obviously loves Dick.

I posted this up on the other thread, but customers have every right to be disappointed as this went out to facebook and twitter.

Many of you have heard the rumours, and we wanted to let you know they are true!

Our massive $7 million Gaming clearance will commence April 2nd, and you don’t want to miss it!

With that language, obviously it's going to sound bigger than it really was. They decided to bang their drum, so they deserve every bit of humble pie that's come back to them.
Jay

Player

Unread postby Nekosan » 4 Apr 12, 8:19 pm

DXPetti wrote:Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if they can't price match it, just be a man and say "sorry, that price is too low and we simply cannot match it" rather than give me some made up sauce. I play **** very well, don't try that **** on me, especially when I am driving all over town for it.

Pretty sure the "price matching" policy applies to advertised deals only, unless it's in a brochure then they can just not do it, either way expecting them to price match a $100 xbox in what's essentially a liquidation sale is entirely unreasonable.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Mugsy » 4 Apr 12, 8:24 pm

It's simply a case of really bad PR. Price list of a staff only sale got leaked, the public gets excited... and DSE continues to hype it up on Twitter and FB instead of coming clean and stating that it's a staff only clearance.

Of course, those of us who aren't that greedy and decided to do our homework first walked away with a few $5 games like LA Noire on the PS3 ;-)
Mugsy

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

PreviousNext

Return to News:: General