Should I or should I not?

Should I or should I not?

Unread postby Aardvarken » 30 Mar 12, 10:27 am

I've been following this game since it was announced it was being created. I'm looking for personal opinions on whether or not I should invest money into the game as I haven't managed to find someone with a spare free trial.

All opinions welcome, and I want details! :D
Aardvarken

Padawan

Re: Should I or should I not?

Unread postby Marius » 30 Mar 12, 10:31 am

Fun game, but to me it felt too much like a traditional MMO with a single player-ish story. The community was also a little lacking, imo.

You can probably have fun in it for a bit, but some of the upcoming MMO releases like GW2 and The Secret World are going to be more revolutionary.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby Aardvarken » 30 Mar 12, 10:35 am

Are the servers emptying out now or something? From what I've seen, there are a lot of people disappointed with end-game content, saying it's too easy to complete?
Aardvarken

Padawan

Unread postby Marius » 30 Mar 12, 10:38 am

I don't know as I've not played it in months. It was one of the only MMOs I've actually cancelled after 1 and a half months. Other people will have different opinions, just didn't grab me.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby Mythor » 30 Mar 12, 10:43 am

Servers are still very well populated, Australian servers only just recently launched, it'll take you a huge number of hours to get to the end of your first class storyline and then you have another faction you could go and play.

Do you like Bioware RPGs? Then you'll like SWTOR. The game is fantastic, people just like to hate on things.

If you're looking for something to play for the next 12 months or more then maybe SWTOR won't be for you but if you're happy to get a couple of months play out of it...
Next game update is due towards the end of next month. Has lots of much requested changes and additions and so on.

If you want an MMO to play, SWTOR's the best choice right now. If you don't mind waiting there's new ones on the horizon or there's always WoW, whenever they release Mists of Pandaria... ;)
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Mythor

TF2 Admin

Unread postby Marius » 30 Mar 12, 10:47 am

Mythor wrote:If you want an MMO to play, SWTOR's the best choice right now.

That was part of my problem, it felt like an 'MMO', and hence felt a little dated.

Some of the future games are moving away from that model.

I love Bioware games, but whether you like SWTOR, imo, comes down to whether you enjoy traditional MMOs.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby Giblet1 » 30 Mar 12, 1:10 pm

I leveled a new character on the Australian servers for a while but I'm just waiting for when I'll be able to transfer my character and the new patch which will be nice. Also the new Australian servers are great, absolutely love pvp since they put them in.
Giblet1

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Slazza » 30 Mar 12, 2:02 pm

Aardvarken wrote:I haven't managed to find someone with a spare free trial

PM me with your email and I'll send you one.
Slazza

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby XViper » 30 Mar 12, 3:05 pm

My gf and I have 3 trials each to give out, but cant use them until our first month of play is over (first billing cycle for subscription).
XViper

Forum Bot

Unread postby Auld » 30 Mar 12, 3:09 pm

I bought it on release for $45 from a cd key site. Played it for a month and really enjoyed it, definitely worth the $45.

However once I had my char to 50 and it came time to resub I couldnt see the value.

Short answer, yes sink some time into it.
Auld

Unread postby Nekosan » 30 Mar 12, 3:40 pm

Marius wrote:Fun game, but to me it felt too much like a traditional MMO with a single player-ish story. The community was also a little lacking, imo.

You can probably have fun in it for a bit, but some of the upcoming MMO releases like GW2 and The Secret World are going to be more revolutionary.

At some stage I'm going to dig through the forum and find the thousand posts where GoN members raved about how SWTOR would be "more revolutionary", it's time people learned to stop swallowing all the **** the developers throw at them and just judge a game when it's released. There are quite a few members who were pretty damn aggressive when some of us had the nerve to say SWTOR might not be the best game ever and a LOT of them aren't playing the game anymore, their enthusiasm has just transferred to GW2 etc.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Auld » 30 Mar 12, 6:47 pm

cmon neko where did we claim anything but a outstanding storyline?

The anger was from the constant people hating on it not doing enough, in *every* thread with the *same* rhetoric.

TBH I think you'll find GW2 a let down from the hype being pedaled on here.
Auld

Unread postby Nekosan » 31 Mar 12, 1:25 am

Auld wrote:cmon neko where did we claim anything but a outstanding storyline?

The anger was from the constant people hating on it not doing enough, in *every* thread with the *same* rhetoric.

I'm interested to see how the "change your weapon, change the way your class plays" feature works out, TBH I'm pretty damn jaded when it comes to MMO's though, a game would have to look FANTASTIC for me to really be interested, they just lie way too much.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Marius » 31 Mar 12, 2:00 am

There's been lots of evidence released for GW2, like player videos, beta events with plenty of reports, etc. It's more than hype.

Also, I didn't claim that GW2 was going to be brilliant. I just claimed that it was going to be a break from the traditional MMO, which is easy enough to judge from the extensive play videos released so far, as well as beta reports by trusted press. If Tim says its different than I believe him.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby sifter132 » 31 Mar 12, 7:29 am

Auld wrote:cmon neko where did we claim anything but a outstanding storyline?

For once I'm with Neko. MMOs are magnets for hype. I think of Age of Conan and Warhammer a couple of years back. Those games were going to shake up the MMO landscape and each had some new features, but both flopped pretty hard, in large part because once players got over the new features they found that there wasn't anything else special. In fact everything BUT the new features was worse than WoW or other established games. That's the key bit. Other games that were going to change MMOs haven't been able to, because they can't bridge the gap between traditional MMO and something completely new. APB would be an example.

Guild Wars 2 might have some awesome new stuff, but unless it does the standard stuff well too, then it won't get very far. And we won't really know that until it's played, because every preview is focused on the new stuff.

SWTOR is your standard MMO, but polished up fairly nicely and with a way more interesting story than normal. If you like the sound of it, play it!
sifter132

Padawan

Next

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic