Call of Duty Veteran Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward - Was His Desire for Free DLC to Blame?

General news and announcements

Call of Duty Veteran Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward - Was His Desire for Free DLC to Blame?

Unread postby News Portal » 27 Mar 12, 12:57 pm

Call of Duty figurehead Robert "fourzerotwo" Bowling has made the sad announcement today that he is no longer a part of the gaming's top-selling franchise, having severed all ties with Infinity Ward and Activision. While Bowling ponders his next big adventure, industry rumours suggest that Bowling's departure may stem from comments he made last month insisting that gamers should not have to pay for 'throw back' DLC content.

Read full article by Matt Williams
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Call of Duty Veteran Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward

Unread postby DarKnode » 27 Mar 12, 1:25 pm

He spent the last 8 years lying to us. Even if was an advocate for free DLC, the company behind him could not do anything worthwhile. I guess we need to shift the blame off of him.
DarKnode

Padawan

Unread postby Drakand » 27 Mar 12, 1:57 pm

looking forward to more news on this.
Drakand

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby RSOblivion » 27 Mar 12, 2:22 pm

DarKnode wrote:He spent the last 8 years lying to us. Even if was an advocate for free DLC, the company behind him could not do anything worthwhile. I guess we need to shift the blame off of him.

Why? Being complicit in a lie and still lying is no different to being the creator of the lie.
RSOblivion

Padawan

Unread postby PalZer0 » 27 Mar 12, 3:04 pm

So who should I follow on Twitter now for updates from the MW3 devs?
DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

Twitter | Facebook | Steam | Xfire | Raptr
3DS Friend Code: 5386-8114-8658
PalZer0

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Toasty Fresh » 27 Mar 12, 3:20 pm

Good riddance. Never gave me an indication that he was anything but a punching-bag for the community.
Toasty Fresh

Padawan

Unread postby PURITy Kin » 27 Mar 12, 4:13 pm

DarKnode wrote:He spent the last 8 years lying to us. Even if was an advocate for free DLC, the company behind him could not do anything worthwhile. I guess we need to shift the blame off of him.

MW2 and MW3 are the only Infinity Ward games to have paid DLC. COD1, COD2 and COD4 got DLC included in patches, for free. If anything, he lied to us for 3 years. But even still, As RSOblivion says, there's a difference between working for a a company which has a different philosophy and flat out lying. Not every employee who works for any business isn't going to agree with every decision that business makes, and that exactly living a lie. Especially when the businesses philosophy is dictated by the publisher, not the studio.

This guy gets my respect. He's taking a stand against Activision's BS.
PURITy Kin

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Cyrinno » 27 Mar 12, 4:23 pm

I dunno about you, but if I didn't tow the company line in my job I'd be out on my ****, it would be no different with this guy. They probably wanted him to retract or something and he refused.
Cyrinno

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby tacitus42 » 27 Mar 12, 4:54 pm

Cyrinno wrote:I dunno about you, but if I didn't tow the company line in my job I'd be out on my ****, it would be no different with this guy. They probably wanted him to retract or something and he refused.

Yah. I think this too.
Funny though, he could have just been criticising EA/DICE (Back to Karkand).
tacitus42

TeamGON

Unread postby AndyGT » 28 Mar 12, 11:00 am

tacitus42 wrote:
Cyrinno wrote:I dunno about you, but if I didn't tow the company line in my job I'd be out on my ****, it would be no different with this guy. They probably wanted him to retract or something and he refused.

Yah. I think this too.

Maybe.. But I (and vast majority of players) recieved back to karkand for free from the "limited edition" version which was still being stocked months after launch.. So not really anything worth commenting on/losing your job over.. There has to be something more. I would likely say it's the refusal to retract his opinions.
?
AndyGT

Padawan

Unread postby jerichosainte » 28 Mar 12, 11:35 am

AndyGT wrote:
tacitus42 wrote:

Yah. I think this too.

Maybe.. But I (and vast majority of players) recieved back to karkand for free from the "limited edition" version which was still being stocked months after launch.. So not really anything worth commenting on/losing your job over.. There has to be something more. I would likely say it's the refusal to retract his opinions.

You have to appreciate the work that went into building the BF2 maps for frostbite 2, for me it gives the maps a lot more depth which I would be happy to pay for.

Whereas putting a price on old maps on the same engine with COD seems pretty greedy.
jerichosainte

Padawan

Unread postby tacitus42 » 28 Mar 12, 5:24 pm

jerichosainte wrote:You have to appreciate the work that went into building the BF2 maps for frostbite 2, for me it gives the maps a lot more depth which I would be happy to pay for.

True that. Being able to go into buildings and stuff you couldn't before is cool.
tacitus42

TeamGON

Return to News:: General