Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Unread postby Helelix » 16 Mar 12, 2:20 pm

exe3 wrote:So what you're saying is that when I started Titan Quest I should have ignored the vanilla game and just jumped into Immortal Throne?

yes. According to steam I have 4 minuets of TQ and 195 hours of TQ:IT. and as Serval mentioned, TQ:IT just adds another act onto the original storyline. So when you start a new game of TQ:IT, you start right from the beginning of TQ.
Helelix

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby exe3 » 16 Mar 12, 2:43 pm

*facedesk*

Can you at least transfer your TQ character over? Even if you haven't finished the TQ campaign?

/edit

I did NOT realize that the Fakefactory mod was going to take up such an insane amount of space, may actually have to delete it unless someone can reveal the secret i've heard of having your steam files on another hdd from the one steam is on.

/edit 2

Had to uninstall it, overall the mod and everything attached to it brought free space down from 50gig to 10gigs, I had no choice. I have wasted a LOT of quota today and am not happy about that fact all thanks to gamearena not being unmetered. I swear it was at one stage. :/
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Disco LT » 19 Mar 12, 1:57 pm

Does anyone play Magic: The Gathering? I played it once.. and enjoyed the experience, but since I don't know of a local group I thought I'd see if it can be played online, and it can. Anyone have any thoughts on it as an online game rather than the card game?
Disco LT

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby VitalBlurs » 19 Mar 12, 2:19 pm

The Magic 2012 - Duels Of The Planeswalkers game on Steam (or xbla if you're that way inclined) is quite good. Much better interface than the official MTG Online and better value. A deck will only set you back a couple of bucks or even less.

In alot of ways it's better than the real card game. For a start it's a level playing field. Whereas the real game it can be a bit of a case of "who can spend the most money on their decks" and every few months Wizards of the Coast release yet another expansion with even more powerful cards. If one person in your group buys cards from the new set then everyone else has to if they wanna keep up.

One of the people that I play the real game with actually spent $200 building one deck....I kid you not.
VitalBlurs

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby DarkMellie » 19 Mar 12, 4:08 pm

I played Magic for the first three editions... but even back then it got very costly. I remember my mate built a black deck with a Hydra that spawned a head for every 1/1 that just couldn't be beaten until my other mate bought enough cards for a blue flying-based deck... their matches lasted minutes.

Not that that helps you. I like the online Steam MTG because it lets you follow the correct cycle of play... so you can interrupt and assign blockers and not miss out on opportunities.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Disco LT » 19 Mar 12, 4:19 pm

VitalBlurs wrote:The Magic 2012 - Duels Of The Planeswalkers game on Steam (or xbla if you're that way inclined) is quite good. Much better interface than the official MTG Online and better value. A deck will only set you back a couple of bucks or even less.

In alot of ways it's better than the real card game. For a start it's a level playing field. Whereas the real game it can be a bit of a case of "who can spend the most money on their decks" and every few months Wizards of the Coast release yet another expansion with even more powerful cards. If one person in your group buys cards from the new set then everyone else has to if they wanna keep up.

One of the people that I play the real game with actually spent $200 building one deck....I kid you not.

Thanks, I'll check it out.. didn't even knew it existed. Not too keen on blowing big money on a game, but I do want to give it a go.
Disco LT

Unread postby VitalBlurs » 19 Mar 12, 5:35 pm

DarkMellie wrote:I like the online Steam MTG because it lets you follow the correct cycle of play... so you can interrupt and assign blockers and not miss out on opportunities.

Thats true for the single player side of the game but when playing online they seem to have sped things up. You no longer have to acknowledge the spells being played by your opponents. You have to be ready on the spacebar to stop time and check the spell being played if you're hanging onto a counterspell for example.
VitalBlurs

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Disco LT » 19 Mar 12, 6:41 pm

Buy Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 - Special Edition

^would be a good introduction then??
Disco LT

Unread postby VitalBlurs » 19 Mar 12, 7:16 pm

I guess this is NOT the version to get at the moment..
http://store.steampowered.com/app/901667/

Don't worry about all the extra DLC like "deck unlocks" you can unlock them yourself for free.

Also the Foil Conversions are a bit of a waste....they just make your cards all sparkly :roll:
Last edited by VitalBlurs on 20 Mar 12, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
VitalBlurs

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Slazza » 19 Mar 12, 8:34 pm

VitalBlurs wrote:I guess this is the version to get at the moment..
http://store.steampowered.com/app/901667/

I wouldn't get that one, it has no MP.

The 2012 version does though.
Slazza

Game Admin

Unread postby VitalBlurs » 20 Mar 12, 12:18 am

Hey yeah, whats up with that? Magic without m/player doesn't make sense. Thanks for pointing that out Slazza.

It's hard to find the version I bought amongst all of the deck unlocks and foil conversions. I had to go to my Library and use the "show store page" for it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/49470/
VitalBlurs

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Jez » 20 Mar 12, 6:06 am

I played MtG in high school and picked up a version on the 360 arcade, but I found it pretty dissatisfying. You can't build your own deck at all, you're limited to just moving a certain number of preset cards into/out of pre-assembled decks. Moreover I remember reading that they simplified some of the rules and I found that annoying, though maybe these things are no longer the case in more recent versions.

Honestly I'd love for there to be a modern version of something like Shandalar, a magic game with RPG and exploration elements and unlockable cards.
Jez

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Novocaine » 20 Mar 12, 6:24 am

I'd be happy if M:TG online community wasn't a pile of ****. DotP2012 is pretty fun though, if you can live with no true deck customization.
PLAYGUUU AAHHHH!
Novocaine

Unread postby exe3 » 20 Mar 12, 12:42 pm

Not about Magic but I have a question about Games For Windows Live if anyone can answer it.

My brother has purchased GTA4 complete and Fallout 3 GOTY for PC recently, both retail versions. Both require GFWL so they'll be linked with his account. I'm wondering am I able to start the games up and when it asked to sign in with an account will I be able to sign into my GFWL/XBL account or will it have a fit and so i'd have to use my brothers account instead?

I guess I could try it but i'm wary of it having a freakout and accusing me of being a pirate and locking me out of all my games. :/
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby cyclobs » 20 Mar 12, 12:51 pm

exe3 wrote:Not about Magic but I have a question about Games For Windows Live if anyone can answer it.

My brother has purchased GTA4 complete and Fallout 3 GOTY for PC recently, both retail versions. Both require GFWL so they'll be linked with his account. I'm wondering am I able to start the games up and when it asked to sign in with an account will I be able to sign into my GFWL/XBL account or will it have a fit and so i'd have to use my brothers account instead?

I guess I could try it but i'm wary of it having a freakout and accusing me of being a pirate and locking me out of all my games. :/

same account as what you get with xbox (linked to your live account basically). so you can log into either one like you could on xbox i think
cyclobs

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat