Steamworks, Pre-Order Goodies Confirmed for Borderlands 2

General news and announcements

Re: Steamworks, Pre-Order Goodies Confirmed for Borderlands

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 4 Mar 12, 9:21 pm

122 games and not one issue like the above.

PEBCAK.
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Nekosan » 4 Mar 12, 9:27 pm

GlenGrainger wrote: Steam... Great for 1 day, reinstall the next...

Yeah I'm going to have to jump on the "it's just you" bandwagon, even if part of your install WAS corrupted steam would just download what was busted if you did a scan.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby vcatkiller » 4 Mar 12, 10:30 pm

Yep, huge number of Steam titles here, none of them have ever missed a beat. Or more to the point, Steam has functioned admirably well with all of them.
vcatkiller

Story Teller

Unread postby Jez » 4 Mar 12, 10:49 pm

Sounds like you should have lodged a steam ticket GlenGrainger.
Jez

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Fat Dog » 4 Mar 12, 10:50 pm

i heard u right the first time. my advice for u is buy a console, if u cant even install a game properly, ull have issues with pc gaming.
Fat Dog

Padawan

Unread postby Ooshp » 4 Mar 12, 11:07 pm

GlenGrainger wrote:snip

Your inability to operate a PC is hilarious, but not solid ground to discredit Steam.
Ooshp

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby PalZer0 » 5 Mar 12, 12:00 am

Nekosan wrote:What exactly was the problem you had with protection in borderlands? I clicked install then i clicked play (for the game and all DLC).

Just for the record, I bought the GOTY edition on Steam when it was released to get in ahead of a possible price jack by 2K (which, as it turns out, never happened).

There is no disclosure on the GOTY edition's store page of SecuROM's presence in the first 2 DLCs. In essence, SecuROM piggybacked on my download and I haven't launched the game once (I identified SecuROM's presence before the download completed). Given that Steam doesn't allow refunds, I'm stuck with the game on my account which makes me a bit of a hypocrite in my stance against 3rd party hardware-based DRM on Steam. :(
DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

Twitter | Facebook | Steam | Xfire | Raptr
3DS Friend Code: 5386-8114-8658
PalZer0

Unread postby DarkMellie » 5 Mar 12, 12:31 am

PalZer0 wrote:
Nekosan wrote:What exactly was the problem you had with protection in borderlands? I clicked install then i clicked play (for the game and all DLC).

Just for the record, I bought the GOTY edition on Steam when it was released to get in ahead of a possible price jack by 2K (which, as it turns out, never happened).

There is no disclosure on the GOTY edition's store page of SecuROM's presence in the first 2 DLCs. In essence, SecuROM piggybacked on my download and I haven't launched the game once (I identified SecuROM's presence before the download completed). Given that Steam doesn't allow refunds, I'm stuck with the game on my account which makes me a bit of a hypocrite in my stance against 3rd party hardware-based DRM on Steam. :(

Given that your 'stance' will never bring about change to how any developer looks at DRM, you're a bit of a fool for missing out on playing an excellent game.

You are a very odd creature.
ImageImage
GoN TS Channel: Mellie's Random Games
Channel Password: gonmellie
DarkMellie

Unread postby DarkMellie » 5 Mar 12, 12:37 am

GlenGrainger wrote:Steam... Great for 1 day, reinstall the next...

250+ games and never had a problem like it.

PEBKAC
ImageImage
GoN TS Channel: Mellie's Random Games
Channel Password: gonmellie
DarkMellie

Unread postby Nekosan » 5 Mar 12, 3:12 am

PalZer0 wrote:

Yeah but why is it a problem for you if you own the game? Borderlands is 100% non-intrusive in any way... i have the goty edition and I literally did not know that it had any protection until I read your post on it.

I can understand the hate against things like starforce when they interfere with the install or the playing of the game but when it's so unobtrusive that you don't even know it's there then I don't see what the problem is (unless you're trying to steal the game, which you aren't).

Unobtrusive software protection is fantastic and should be supported, it stops companies adopting stupid **** like starforce.
Nekosan

Unread postby -=THUNDERBIRD=- » 5 Mar 12, 6:50 am

Never had problems with Steam, sounds like this kid should stick to console or learn what he's actually doing with PC.

-=THUNDERBIRD=-

Regular

Unread postby zakynthos » 5 Mar 12, 8:07 am

I have steam installed with 30 plus games, not a problem.

The gentlemen above complaining about the DOW2 install must have had massive headaches with GFWL. I bet if DOW2 was steam ONLY and NOT Gfwl, he would have had no problems.

:?:
zakynthos

Padawan

Unread postby GlenGrainger » 5 Mar 12, 8:40 am

I would probably know more about PC then you lot put together, I have Cert 3 Network Administration, Cert 4 Network Management and Diploma Network Engineering, currently doing Cert 4 Interactive Digital Media. So I would hazard a guess you probably don't know that much about your g/f breasts...

he was having the same problems as me, but his system was actually locking up while playing.

Did you lot miss that bit?? In your rush to post and jump on the "bandwagon"??

Out of interest, I went onto my brothers PC and tried to start Dawn of War 2, it crashed... Skyrim uses Steam too if I am correct, that has had a few small issues, nothing that requires a reinstall.

As for GFWL, in actual fact that didn't cause any real problems, Fallout 3 ran without any issues, upto the last update where it wouldn't load any saved games. But that was my issue, I applied the update manually.

So my experience with both Steam and GFWL is not good at best, when I was doing Network Admin we were told, anything that connects with a remote host, sends out information about the user is a VIRUS and should be removed from the system, immediately!
GlenGrainger

Padawan

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 5 Mar 12, 8:47 am

Want me to keep going?
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby zakynthos » 5 Mar 12, 8:50 am

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh
zakynthos

Padawan