Guild Wars 2: Impressions From The Closed Beta

General news and announcements

Re: Guild Wars 2: Impressions From The Closed Beta

Unread postby Marius » 22 Feb 12, 9:00 am

I cancelled my sub to that last night...

Game after the story is basically a sit around fleet and queue for stuff game.

I'll play GW2 if it has a more interesting structure, instead of a single hub.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby Angeredsoul » 22 Feb 12, 9:36 am

Marius wrote:I cancelled my sub to that last night...

Game after the story is basically a sit around fleet and queue for stuff game.

I'll play GW2 if it has a more interesting structure, instead of a single hub.

I agree with this. Swtor, whilst good isn't what I would call a mmo. It's more of a graphical lobby where you wait to join a game. I'm hoping gw2 has plenty of open world pvp going on.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
Angeredsoul

Padawan

Unread postby Bluefire » 22 Feb 12, 9:40 am

I'd cancel my swtor sub... but Im doing agent storyline slooooowly now waiting for D3 and maybe gw2.. kinda hoping they fix up swtors issues....failing that its back to panda's or maybe go back to the early 90's.. I havent played a good MUD in quite some time.

Is GW2 already P2W ? or are they hiding behind the F2P title for a while ?
Bluefire

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Slazza » 22 Feb 12, 9:52 am

Bluefire wrote:Is GW2 already P2W ? or are they hiding behind the F2P title for a while ?

GW2 isn't F2P.
Slazza

Game Admin

Unread postby Drakand » 22 Feb 12, 9:56 am

Bluefire wrote: I havent played a good MUD in quite some time.

MUD's, oh my god, that takes me back, they were awesome! :D
Drakand

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Bluefire » 22 Feb 12, 10:13 am

Slazza wrote:GW2 isn't F2P.

I thought GW2 had a cash shop ? (Yes I know you have to buy the box) but its MMO.. so its one of 3 options

Subscription
F2P (cosmetics, non-combat pets)
P2W (xp boosters, skill unlocks, pots, items, content)

Which is it ?

Edit: The Mud I played back arround 96 still exists.. and my toons are still there!!
Woooo!
Bluefire

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Tas » 22 Feb 12, 10:20 am

it is not pay to win. MMO's wouldn't dare try that in west I doubt.The game is free to play, because you buy the box, an thats it.

As for tor I dropped my sub weeks ago, its an insult to even call it an MMO.
Tas

Story Teller

Unread postby Burty13 » 22 Feb 12, 10:23 am

GW2 and D3 will be the iceberg that will sink the swTORTANIC.

Other than the voice acting it is such a bad mmo.
Burty13

Padawan

Unread postby Lord_PorkSword » 22 Feb 12, 10:28 am

GW2 will have a cash shop but apparently it won't stock anything that gives players an advantage.
It'll stock things like extra character slots and other stuff like those things that allow you to modify the visuals of your armour.(note visuals and not stats)
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!

Unreal Old Friends
Lord_PorkSword

Padawan

Unread postby Bluefire » 22 Feb 12, 10:44 am

What is their defintion of gives a player an advantage tho ?
If I can earn it though ingame play does them buying it make it not an advantage ? cause I can get it to .. so they can buy the latest pvp gear with cash ?

Personally I consider extra bag space and xp boosters an "advantage" .. Both make you level faster...level faster = longer at cap, time at cap = better gear, better gear = advantage
As far as Im aware you could buy both in gw1 cash shop..
That makes GW1 P2W not F2P
Is GW2 going to be diferent or not ? does anyone actually KNOW what is going to be in cash shop ? ie beta players ? Ive read what their dev/pr guys have said... and well it leaves quite a few holes that would lead to P2W.
Bluefire

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Bronze_D » 22 Feb 12, 11:02 am

there is no XP booster, GW1 caps out at lvl 20 which is reached after mere hours of game time for story characters and thus completely DEFEATS the point of having xp booster, while pvp character is AUTOMATICALLY maxed out anyway level wise and item potential wise at the start so again have no use for XP booster, but you can buy more bank space

no advantage means, none of the item you can buy on the store will give you a direct advantage against another player that he can't acquire without the shop.

you can argue the bank slots is technically an advantage indeed, which i'd partially agree but to be honest in GW1 that's more the problem that they didn't have a robust auction system, something they are planning to remedy this time around.

GW1 was solid PvP wise, and it has been so given their significant PvP content... they have a fairly CLEAR line of what constitutes an advantage against other player and what is not. So unless you have something to substantiate concern on the PvP side i'm not quite sure where your worry came from.
Bronze_D

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Kaimahi » 22 Feb 12, 11:36 am

Definitely sounds more interesting than I thought so I may give it a look closer to the release date. The Secret World is my next anticipated MMO however, if they can deliver there I may not be moving for awhile.....
Kaimahi

Padawan

Unread postby Tas » 22 Feb 12, 11:50 am

lol bank slots are not an advantage, nor are exp boosters. jezz people today really are seriously retentive about everyone being equal. Nothin personal man but honestly think about it yer.....

As for GW2, you dont buy gear an weapons at all.
Tas

Story Teller

Unread postby Bluefire » 22 Feb 12, 12:27 pm

I pretty much went from (mmorpg wise) mud to nwn1(edon) to wow.. minor dashs off to various other games.. played gw1 for maybe 2-3 hours gave the account to a mate he played it for about a week so my experence with it is limited and was just going off what Ive read regarding cash shop.. Hence the question :P
And yes being able to buy a win is a game stopper for me.. I dont care if the advantage is only a little extra damage, a little more hp and a little bit extra armor from getting to max level a week earlier than non paying customers were able to.. Im already playing with 4 times my standard opponents ping.. Even with gear being the same quality there is really no way I should be able to win.
I like to win.. dont you like to win ??
I CAN win against someone with 1/4 of my ping but ive played to many "f2p(read p2w) mmos" where Ive literally come up to a player hit them half a dozen times before they have responded and had them turn arround and kill me in 2 hits due to cash shop.
So before I waste money on this Im making sure.. cause Im looking for something to replace WoW.
Bluefire

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Bronze_D » 22 Feb 12, 12:44 pm

GW was fairly heavy on PvP content, even if you only played it for 2-3 hours before it should be readily apparent.

do you think a PvP heavy game can succeed in a condition where you can purchase stat with money? don't be ridiculous.

to reclarify and to REST this beaten dead horse because repeating things is getting really tiring, NO YOU CANNOT PURCHASE stat or anything of the sort in cash shop.

convenience, or cosmetic addition is the primary things the cash shop provide... anything that can possibly be of real use against a player can be acquired normally by the players.
Bronze_D

Never goes to sleep

PreviousNext

Return to News:: General