Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2015

News and current events discussion

Do you believe smoking in public places should be banned?

Yes
63
59%
No
41
38%
I am a baby and thus too young to smoke but I would like some candeh
3
3%
 
Total votes : 107

Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2015

Unread postby Jez » 21 Feb 12, 12:22 pm

Just saw an article with the above headline in the herald.

The gist: "Smoking will be banned at bus stops, taxi ranks, playgrounds, public sports grounds, swimming pools and outdoor dining areas from 2015 under tobacco reforms announced today by the NSW government."

It came as quite a surprise to me as I had no idea the government here was planning anything so comprehensive. What are other people's thoughts on the matter? Would you support something like this in your own city or state?
Jez

User avatar
Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like
 
Offline
Posts: 2973
Joined: 12 Feb 03, 6:14 pm

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Auld » 21 Feb 12, 12:32 pm

I'm not against people being able to smoke, but was dismayed that the result of not being able to smoke in pubs/clubs meant the outdoor areas are basically full of smoke. Its unfortunate that this particular habit has such a direct impact on people that don't want to partake in it. But I'll be seriously happy when public smoking is outlawed.
Auld

User avatar
Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like
 
Offline
Posts: 2001
Joined: 28 Aug 06, 10:47 am
Location: Orc-land

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Mekon » 21 Feb 12, 12:34 pm

Not sure whether or not it's a matter of supporting it - sounds like a foregone conclusion.

I thought smoking anywhere near playgrounds was already prohibited (and quite reasonably so). I find it rather nanny state to prohibit other outdoor areas though, generally speaking - you're not going to get lung cancer by smelling cigarette smoke, it's an inconvenience, not a health risk.

And if it comes down to legislating against smells that people find distasteful, what's next? Fining people for bad BO and/or overpowering perfume? I don't particularly like the smell of BBQs, ban them too.

Let's take that a step further and bring in the fashion police for all those beer-bellied yobs wearing stubbies and wife-beaters. Not far enough... ban the fatties from the beach and swimming pools - I don't like the look of them. Besides, being overweight is a health risk and obviously this legislation is aimed at imposing good health guidelines on individuals.

While we're at it, I wish people would learn to use inside voices - I don't need to hear your retarded conversations near me. Silence in public!

Alternatively, the populace could get over themselves and the state could stop curtailing freedoms in the name of the squeaky wheel. Yeah, like that'll happen.

edit: Oops - stuffed up my vote, put Yes instead of No. :)
Last edited by Mekon on 21 Feb 12, 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
Mekon

User avatar
I Draw Sustenance From Destroying Your Hyperbole
 
Offline
Posts: 7805
Joined: 8 Dec 03, 6:31 pm
Location: Dysney.Oz

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 21 Feb 12, 12:35 pm

Happy as a pig in mud here, **** hate smokers mentality of being able to smoke where they want.
Artful-dodgeR

User avatar
Never goes to sleep
 
Offline
Posts: 4492
Joined: 16 May 04, 6:09 pm

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Jez » 21 Feb 12, 12:43 pm

Mekon wrote:Not sure whether or not it's a matter of supporting it - sounds like a foregone conclusion.


An article on the ABC made the government's just said that 'talks are underway', so it may not be decided one way or the other.

Mekon wrote:I thought smoking anywhere near playgrounds was already prohibited (and quite reasonably so). I find it rather nanny state to prohibit other outdoor areas, generally speaking, though - you're not going to get lung cancer by smelling cigarette smoke, it's an inconvenience, not a health risk.


Tell that to this guy:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/c ... 1pcv0.html

Admittedly there are other airborne carcinogens (like car exhaust) but at least a car serves a necessary utility, whereas smoking is just a vice.

Mekon wrote:And if it comes down to legislating against smells that people find distasteful, what's next? Fining people for bad BO and/or overpowering perfume? Let's take that a step further and bring in the fashion police.


I think it goes beyond distaste...
Jez

User avatar
Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like
 
Offline
Posts: 2973
Joined: 12 Feb 03, 6:14 pm

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Mekon » 21 Feb 12, 12:47 pm

Mekon wrote:I find it rather nanny state to prohibit other outdoor areas, generally speaking, though - you're not going to get lung cancer by smelling cigarette smoke, it's an inconvenience, not a health risk.

Operative word being "outdoors".

Jez wrote:Admittedly there are other airborne carcinogens (like car exhaust) but at least a car serves a necessary utility, whereas smoking is just a vice.

Catch a bus. Train. Ride. Walk. Buy an electric car. Driving is a vice... that of laziness.
Image
Mekon

User avatar
I Draw Sustenance From Destroying Your Hyperbole
 
Offline
Posts: 7805
Joined: 8 Dec 03, 6:31 pm
Location: Dysney.Oz

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Jez » 21 Feb 12, 12:51 pm

Mekon wrote:Catch a bus. Train. Ride. Walk. Driving is a vice... that of laziness.


In some cases. Mass restrictions on driving would virtually grind the economy to a halt, whereas restricting smoking does not.
Jez

User avatar
Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like
 
Offline
Posts: 2973
Joined: 12 Feb 03, 6:14 pm

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Mythor » 21 Feb 12, 1:39 pm

The 2015 thing is mostly relevant to pubs and clubs. Things like public transport areas will hopefully be smoke free zones much sooner.
Mekon wrote:you're not going to get lung cancer by smelling cigarette smoke, it's an inconvenience, not a health risk.
If you can smell it it's because the nastiness has at least gotten as far as your nose. If second hand smoke can do damage, it can do it when you can smell it.
BO/perfume isn't a known carcinogen so it's unfair to compare the two.
Mekon wrote:Alternatively, the populace could get over themselves and the state could stop curtailing freedoms in the name of the squeaky wheel.
People's freedom to smoke is doing real damage to other's health, not to mention draining taxpayer money for medical treatment, advertising campaigns warning of the health risks and fending off legal challenges from cigarette companies.

Freedom's good. Smokers shouldn't get to restrict everyone else's freedom with their filthy, slow deaths.
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Image
Mythor

User avatar
TF2 Admin
 
Offline
Posts: 7688
Joined: 10 Jun 04, 5:45 pm
Location: In Orbit

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby ashman1991 » 21 Feb 12, 2:28 pm

Mekon wrote:you're not going to get lung cancer by smelling cigarette smoke, it's an inconvenience, not a health risk.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... obacco/ETS

4. Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?

Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. National Toxicology Program, the U.S. Surgeon General, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer have all classified secondhand smoke as a known human carcinogen



Personally, I don't care if you smoke in your own space but jesus christ, almost every smoker out there thinks the rest of the general public love having smoke blown into their faces. You know, the **** that is a bi-product of fire/embers being blown straight into the nostrils and throat of someone else after its been in your gob. How about I come fart right in your face and see how much you like it?

Oh and smoking in a car with the windows shut and a baby in the back seat...
ashman1991

Padawan
 
Offline
Posts: 353
Joined: 9 Oct 06, 9:30 pm

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Dean » 21 Feb 12, 2:59 pm

Mekon wrote:
Jez wrote:Admittedly there are other airborne carcinogens (like car exhaust) but at least a car serves a necessary utility, whereas smoking is just a vice.

Catch a bus. Train. Ride. Walk. Buy an electric car. Driving is a vice... that of laziness.



you crazy
Dean

Story Teller
 
Offline
Posts: 1522
Joined: 12 Nov 07, 3:03 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Disco LT » 21 Feb 12, 3:35 pm

When I was a smoker (over 13 months since I quit) I was pretty pissed I couldn't smoke in some places, but I usually made the effort to stand away/downwind of non smokers if I was having a puff.

I kind of see the other side of the argument now, walking down the street following someone and inhaling/smelling the nasty ****. While I respect their right to smoke (everyone knows its bad, if you choose to smoke it's up to you and I fully support your right to do it), it's a fact that when you smoke you don't just effect yourself but others around you too.

Not sure there is a good solution.. just my 2c anyway.
Image
Disco LT

User avatar
Offline? What's 'offline'?
 
Offline
Posts: 3969
Joined: 10 May 11, 6:40 pm
Location: New South Wales

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Otto-matic » 21 Feb 12, 3:44 pm

I'm somewhere with the others. Smoke if you want to, but nowhere near me please.

Nothing quite so awesome as standing in a bus queue then having the smokers have a race to see how many they can smoke before the bus arrives :(
Otto-matic

User avatar
Story Teller
 
Offline
Posts: 1805
Joined: 24 Dec 04, 12:34 am
Location: Space

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby cyclobs » 21 Feb 12, 3:48 pm

why don't they just ban smoking all together?

oh that's right tax money.. silly me
Image
cyclobs

User avatar
Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like
 
Offline
Posts: 2437
Joined: 9 Feb 08, 7:16 pm
Location: Narrabri

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby Mekon » 21 Feb 12, 4:10 pm

ashman1991 wrote:
Mekon wrote:you're not going to get lung cancer by smelling cigarette smoke, it's an inconvenience, not a health risk.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... obacco/ETS

4. Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?

Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. National Toxicology Program, the U.S. Surgeon General, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer have all classified secondhand smoke as a known human carcinogen

You'll note I said smelling, as opposed to working in a smoky environment. We are talking about outdoors areas, after all.

I'm assuming everyone is aware that smoke from a BBQ is also carcinogenic, right? Should BBQs be banned?

ashman1991 wrote:Oh and smoking in a car with the windows shut and a baby in the back seat...

Is illegal and has been for a few years now. You aren't allowed to smoke in a car with children of any age (in NSW at least, not sure if it was federal or state legislation).

Disco LT wrote:When I was a smoker (over 13 months since I quit) I was pretty pissed I couldn't smoke in some places, but I usually made the effort to stand away/downwind of non smokers if I was having a puff.

Ditto. I actually walk out of open-air restaurants/pubs to have a smoke out of consideration, even though there are plenty of ashtrays around. I appreciate that people don't like the smell, hence my actions.

I don't, however, agree that it is a a significant health risk to others in such minute quantities (particularly compared to all the other pollutants constantly spewed into the environment)... and as such see this as overblown legislation.

It's only a short hop to banning alcohol because it has health risks, meat because it leads to cardiovascular issues (and cancer!), sugar due to obesity, and every other thing that people get their panties in a twist about.

Mythor wrote:The 2015 thing is mostly relevant to pubs and clubs. Things like public transport areas will hopefully be smoke free zones much sooner.

Right now, as I understand it:
Health Minister Jillian Skinner wrote:a pre-election promise to the clubs industry prevented the bans from being implemented in outdoor commercial dining areas until March 2015, but bans in the other areas [ie. bus stops, taxi ranks, playgrounds, public sports grounds, and swimming pools] would take effect immediately.
Image
Mekon

User avatar
I Draw Sustenance From Destroying Your Hyperbole
 
Offline
Posts: 7805
Joined: 8 Dec 03, 6:31 pm
Location: Dysney.Oz

Re: Smoking in public: what you won't be able to do ... in 2

Unread postby ashman1991 » 21 Feb 12, 9:46 pm

Mekon wrote:You'll note I said smelling, as opposed to working in a smoky environment.

I don't understand. If I am able to smell the cigarette smoke, doesn't that mean I have inhaled the bad stuff?

Mekon wrote:I'm assuming everyone is aware that smoke from a BBQ is also carcinogenic, right? Should BBQs be banned?

I don't care if people smoke in their own home or own backyard, I just don't appreciate it right in my face. Similarly, I don't care if you (not you personally, Mekon) like to stand over your own BBQ and inhale the smoke.

Mekon wrote:I don't, however, agree that it is a a significant health risk to others in such minute quantities

Why do you think this? I'm being serious (and not being a dick/troll) but for as long as I can remember I've always had it rammed down my throat [both verbally and via fact sheets/scientific readings] that smoking (first or second hand) in any form is bad. I'm not saying you're wrong either, as I couldn't really prove either way but the vast majority seem pretty decided on this.

Mekon wrote:
ashman1991 wrote:Oh and smoking in a car with the windows shut and a baby in the back seat...

Is illegal and has been for a few years now. You aren't allowed to smoke in a car with children of any age (in NSW at least, not sure if it was federal or state legislation).

Yeah, I know. It was more of a rant.
ashman1991

Padawan
 
Offline
Posts: 353
Joined: 9 Oct 06, 9:30 pm

Next

Return to Current Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests