This is why we can have nice things.

A place for discussion on food, nutrition and general well being.

This is why we can have nice things.

Unread postby FryzieDelta » 19 Feb 12, 4:15 pm

FryzieDelta wrote:An argument between me and some people on another site has lead to me deciding to use some of my free time this year to improve myself physically and mentally in order to beat several professionals at their own game in order to prove a point. It sounds like a silly reason to use up my own time, but the result of my efforts will benefit me greatly regardless so I figured I might as well have a crack at it. I take my first small steps on this task that I have been assured is impossible tomorrow. See, good things can come from internet arguments!

I posted this in spam and it interested a few people, and I figured since people were posting about their self-improvement programs here I might as well too.

Some of you are aware that I'm currently in the army. I wound up involving myself in discussions on another forum between former arms corps blokes and people whose aspirations were in the special forces. Basically these blokes were telling all of the young hopefulls that if their aim was SF then to join infantry. I commented on how the corps you come from is irrelevant, and got attacked from all sides.

Long story short, I'm setting out to prove that a pogue can out-infantry a professional infantryman if he sets his mind to it. The great thing is that I know someone who has done it so I know it is possible, though they came from a differant background with differant experience so the meathods of going about this will have to be differant as well. My intention is to combine variouse own-time physical, mental and skills training routines over the next year.

Physical: variouse exercise routines focussing on 3 key ares - cardio, strength and endurance, with several hours of martial arts training a week.
Mental: practise of meditation, use of brain trainers and study of mathematics and physics.
Skills: attending variouse short civilian training courses and visiting with a few clubs to improve things such as marksmanship, navigation and other skill sets, as well as reading on war and conflict (yes, I have a copy of 'The Art of War'). Also, playing a lot of ArmA2, for combat study purposes of course :lol:

Some of the training already blurs between the three areas, and as time goes on and I start to improve in all of these fields I intend to blur the boundaries between them even further until they seem like one skill set. Ideally this will involve several tests along the way to guage my progress (no idea how I'm going to test myself though, only got the training figured out so far).

I'm not doing this because I actually have any goals in SF myself, nor am I doing it purely for the purpose of showing up a bunch of cranky old farts who figued out what a modem is (though that is a source of motivation). I am doing it because it is going to be benificial for me overall, it is going to allow me to do my actual job better, but most of all because it is going to be FUN!!!

If anyone is interested in the training program I'm going to use as I begin my build-up I can post that up, but this post is already too long and I don't know if anyone really cares as of yet :P

Any suggestions on ways to go about training are welcome, especially from people who have never done anything military since the whole idea of this is to prove that who you are and what you can achieve are irrelevant to each other if you have the right attitute! Idea's for the tests will also be welcome, just remember that it has to be FUN while still achieving the aims.
FryzieDelta

1337 p0st3r

Re: This is why we can have nice things.

Unread postby Drakand » 19 Feb 12, 5:37 pm

Great post, very interesting....as a fairly unfit person, i will attempt to think of some things that you can try and I will then get to see outcomes :D
Drakand

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Matty » 19 Feb 12, 11:10 pm

This sounds pretty interesting. I'd join you on your endeavour, however I don't think I'd have the time or money.
It would be interesting having no military connection to see how I'd do.
Keep us posted.
Last edited by Matty on 20 Feb 12, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matty

Forum Bot

Unread postby FryzieDelta » 20 Feb 12, 6:52 pm

Officially started today! In addition to regular PT, went for a 4km run with 7kg weights in each hand. Was a bit of a stop-start thing since I'm not used to it and havn't run with weights for some time, but it's a start and that's what the first 4 weeks are all about: getting into things and seeing what works. That kind of exercise is one of the most important so I might do that a few times a week then gradually build up the weight, distance and speed.

Lessons learned from the activity:
- Slip, slop, slap! The top of my face is now a little burned, and sunburn saps the energy out of you. Will remember sunblock and hat next time.
- The main point of soreness in the runs was in the shoulders. My upper body strength is pretty abismal at the moment, and if I'm going to make this a regular thing I'm going to have to build up the muscles in my shoulders and arms a little.
- Entertainment. That exercise wasn't really fun, which is an important aspect of what I'm doing. It seemed more like a job than a game, so I'm going to have to work on ways to make it more entertaining. I don't think that just trying to beat my own records will cut it.

That's all for now. I'm probably going to update this thread over the 12 months for the purposes of accountability. If I go more than 2 weeks between updates, somone PM me and tell me to get off my lasy backside :D
FryzieDelta

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby discobrad » 20 Feb 12, 7:51 pm

variety is the key with running, dont just do the same thing over and over. i do a lot of interval running, and mix it up all the time. today was 45 sec fast, 45 seconds slow x 12 with about 1km on the end. end result is 4.5km in 20 minutes and a high intensity workout.
discobrad

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Drakand » 20 Feb 12, 8:21 pm

take an ipod or something similar. Pick songs with fast beat, I find that helps when I'm running. "Going the Distance" by Cake always had me running faster than I realised.
Drakand

Unread postby Hawker45 » 20 Feb 12, 9:29 pm

Not in the military myself, but I've read through both the SAS 13 week training program and the SFET barrier training program. Both are good for high intensity workouts. Plus a tonne of pack marches.

http://ausmilitary.com/13weekSFtrainingprogramme.doc
http://ausmilitary.com/6WEEKTRAININGPROGRAM.doc

Good luck man...

Sent from my HTC
Hawker45

Padawan

Unread postby discobrad » 20 Feb 12, 10:13 pm

Pendulum is good running music, todays mix was disturbed, slipnot and rage against the machine
discobrad

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Drakand » 22 Feb 12, 10:28 am

discobrad wrote:Pendulum is good running music, todays mix was disturbed, slipnot and rage against the machine

very nice :)
Drakand

Unread postby FryzieDelta » 22 Feb 12, 4:32 pm

discobrad wrote:variety is the key with running

Don't have to worry about that too much. Will be getting plenty of variety between the PT and my own sessions, but mixing things up on my own will be good too.

Hawker45 wrote:Not in the military myself, but I've read through both the SAS 13 week training program and the SFET barrier training program. Both are good for high intensity workouts. Plus a tonne of pack marches.

I've got the more up-to-date version already. I want to build up a bit before having a crack at it though. As I said before, my upper body strength is pretty abismal. Can't do pull-ups or bench-press to save my life :lol:

discobrad wrote:Pendulum is good running music, todays mix was disturbed, slipnot and rage against the machine

Not really into that kind of music. I have dug out my MP3 player though and will put it to good use.
FryzieDelta

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby MaddMoose » 22 Feb 12, 5:34 pm

Not to say a pogue couldn't make it through SF selection, coming from an Arms Corp background, particularly infantry would certainly give you a leg up.

SF selection isn't really about being physically fit and tough anyway, it's more to do with mental strength.

I'd highly recommend reading SEAL Team Six by Howard Wasden and SAS Sniper by Rob Maylor. Gives a pretty decent idea into the mental attitude SF guys have.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
MaddMoose

Unread postby FryzieDelta » 22 Feb 12, 7:00 pm

I actually just finished reading SAS Sniper today. Was pretty interesting. Passing selection is not the purpose of what I'm doing though, at the moment I have no intention of applying. My goal is simply to be able to 'out-infantry' a grunt as a pogue, and the reason is simply because I can achieve it and I'll enjoy doing it.
FryzieDelta

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby MaddMoose » 22 Feb 12, 7:03 pm

FryzieDelta wrote:My goal is simply to be able to 'out-infantry' a grunt as a pogue, and the reason is simply because I can achieve it and I'll enjoy doing it.

I assume by "out-infantry" you mean become fitter than most infantrymen?

FryzieDelta wrote:I actually just finished reading SAS Sniper today. Was pretty interesting.

Was alright, SEAL Team Six is a far better read
Si vis pacem, para bellum
MaddMoose

Unread postby FryzieDelta » 22 Feb 12, 7:15 pm

MaddMoose wrote:I assume by "out-infantry" you mean become fitter than most infantrymen?

Yes and no. I intend to develop a level of 'battle fitness' that would rival the best grunts, along with the field and fighting related skills to match. Can't really work on group related stuff like formations and section tactics at the moment, but I can certainly work on individual skills.

EDIT: Yes I am aware of how silly that sounds but that's irrelevant. Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look at SEAL Team Six.
FryzieDelta

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby FryzieDelta » 30 Mar 12, 6:37 pm

Nobody PM'd me, you all let me down :P

Update so far: had a fitness test since the last post. Score's are 2.4km run in 10 min, 60 push-ups and outlasted the sit-up tape (only goes to 100). Not bad but not particularly good either.

I have however noted a significant improvement in my swimming of late, and others in my martial arts classes have gone out of their way to tell me that I am moving much better and relaxing a lot more while laying into them, so good news in skills development so far. :D

I have collected 70kg worth of weights in my bedroom now for use whenever (that is more than my bodyweight, so will take some build up before I can lift it all comfortably), but am having trouble with heaves/pull-ups.

I think I'm aborting my outside marksmanship training for the moment, firing .22's just isn't cutting it. Can practise the basic principles, but it's just not the same without the noise and kickback. I think I know how it felt for the oldies dropping from 7.62 to 5.56 now :lol: I should have the chance to get to a range that has .223's in a few months though, so that'll be good.
FryzieDelta

1337 p0st3r

Next

Return to Health, Food and Nutrition