SW:TOR Australian Launch Details: We Speak to BioWare About All Thing Oz

General news and announcements

Moderator: Content Admins

Re: SW:TOR Australian Launch Details: We Speak to BioWare Ab

Unread postby Anon. E. Moose » 15 Feb 12, 10:58 am

What plans are in place for maintenance routines on the Australian servers? Will they follow the same downtime patterns as the US and European servers?

Grant: Any game updates or general maintenance will be performed across all worldwide locations simultaneously. Minimizing service downtime is something that we take very seriously and we will continue to evaluate the timing of all of our maintenance windows to ensure that they are performed at times that will impact the fewest players possible. Our goal is to continue to offer the same quality and reliability as we have up to this point.

In other words, all downtime and maintenance will be during Australian primetime as usual. :roll:

Other than that, keen.
Steam: Shpleboy
Minecraft: LogicalHero
Origin: LogicalHero
Has a significantly better avatar than lee.
Anon. E. Moose

Story Teller

Unread postby PalZer0 » 15 Feb 12, 11:01 am

We always get the arse end of maintenance times.
DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

Twitter | Facebook | Steam | Xfire | Raptr
3DS Friend Code: 5386-8114-8658
PalZer0

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Cas Bitton » 15 Feb 12, 11:05 am

Gage wrote:
Cas Bitton wrote:
Gage wrote:I wonder who are hosting the servers

EA.

So EA have a data center in AUS?

Yes, EA has their own infrastructure. It doesn't necessarily have to be an entire data center either :)

In regards to who manages the servers or has the contract the maintain them. That's something we will probably never know. It's safe to assume that a data center in Australia has rack space purchased or leased in a colo arrangement to EA for the purpose of operating the SWTOR servers, located in Sydney.

Who? Not Internode.

I'd love to find out more information about their server setup and I'd also be pretty happy to put EA in contact with our corporate/enterprise team here if they did want to come to a commercial arrangement with Internode.
Cas Bitton

Dos Capas

Unread postby Yurtles » 15 Feb 12, 11:09 am

I'll have to resubscribe to give the Aus servers a go I reckon, worth it just to see what a mmo is like with reasonable ping.
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

Story Teller

Unread postby iambeanie » 15 Feb 12, 11:13 am

Yurtles wrote:I'll have to resubscribe to give the Aus servers a go I reckon, worth it just to see what a mmo is like with reasonable ping.

Just from experience with WaR when it was here, it makes a huge difference. Gameplay should feel alot smoother, less people running near cliffs and having the game predict they fell off and such =-P.
SWTOR - The Swiftsure
Volfhosef - BH
Laolath - OP

iambeanie

Padawan

Unread postby InAUGral » 15 Feb 12, 11:32 am

Cas Bitton wrote:I'd love to find out more information about their server setup and I'd also be pretty happy to put EA in contact with our corporate/enterprise team here if they did want to come to a commercial arrangement with Internode.

As do I.

SW TOR came in the post today but it came as I left for work so I will have to wait an entire day ( it will be quite long). Now I can be simultaneously addicted to Wargame: european escalation, SW TOR and Arma 2 at the same time (I may have to cut one game out of my life it will be hard).
InAUGral

Story Teller

Unread postby James Pinnell » 15 Feb 12, 12:20 pm

Yurtles wrote:I'll have to resubscribe to give the Aus servers a go I reckon, worth it just to see what a mmo is like with reasonable ping.

In the meantime, you could also check out the MMO in my column this week that has a server in Brissy! :)

http://games.on.net/article/14899/Tuesd ... s_of_Magic
James Pinnell

Contributor

Unread postby DarKnode » 15 Feb 12, 12:25 pm

Casting spells on the US server was awesome because when you hit a spell to cast it was client side [not casting, just the command] so there was no missed spell casting etc nothing more aggravating going 3 2 1 2 and find out 2 and 1 never casted due to lag.
Now we'll have <120 ping? WOW :F Will def resubscribe when it launches.
DarKnode

Padawan

Unread postby flabcab » 15 Feb 12, 12:56 pm

Servers located in Australia - Check
Free character transfers - Check
Maintenance set to our off peak time - :(
flabcab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Syncourt » 15 Feb 12, 1:05 pm

Sweet.

I notice a lot of rubber banding players at 180-200 ping, while some people in PvP are just so laggy they look to be teleporting. Should also make interrupting skills a lot easier to time and respond to.

Hopefully improves the jump delay too and makes getting to datacrons less aggravating.
Syncourt

Story Teller

Unread postby psychofruiterer » 15 Feb 12, 2:11 pm

They really should hold off on character transfer imho, at least a month or two to allow players who waited for aussie servers to actually level up and get into the economy.
The way it will go down if transfers are allowed on day one there will be no chance of aussies actually setting their own economy.
The gold sellers and market moguls will transfer and be in control of the price of everything from day 1.

Just a thought....

I can however see the sense in making all the maintenance in the same window, if it wasn't, the us guys would all log on to our servers during downtime there and make it impossible to load balance.
psychofruiterer

Padawan

Unread postby Wyld » 15 Feb 12, 2:25 pm

Err, it's us Aussies who have paid and played who are coming over.

So, what you're saying is, those who have already given our cash, in both game and subscription, can't play on the servers we've been waiting for?

Err, no.

That's dumb.
Mostly Minecraft via http://www.twitch.tv/wyldstein/ Wooh!

Wyld

Known to wear a cool hat

Unread postby sifter132 » 15 Feb 12, 3:10 pm

No guild transfer might stop a few coming across though... Hopefully everyone is keen for the Aussie servers. There'd be nothing worse than the guys already playing to go 'meh too much effort' and then EA thinks we don't value the Aussie servers.
sifter132

Padawan

Unread postby Wyld » 15 Feb 12, 3:21 pm

*facepalm*

There are no "guild transfers" .. and even so, there's no actual benefit to a guild anyway aside from chatting and a funky name.
Mostly Minecraft via http://www.twitch.tv/wyldstein/ Wooh!

Wyld

Known to wear a cool hat

Unread postby sifter132 » 15 Feb 12, 3:37 pm

I'm not saying there should have been guild transfers - I'm saying that the guild factor will stop some people coming over...*facepalm* at you *sticks out tongue*
sifter132

Padawan

PreviousNext

Return to News:: General