Re: MMA discussion thread

Unread postby discobrad » 6 Feb 12, 1:11 am

Hidden: show
diaz is a douche - yay condit!
discobrad

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Nekosan » 6 Feb 12, 2:46 am

I second that Brad, I love seeing him lose because he acts like such a hardass gangsta but as soon as he loses he acts like a whinging little girl.

also:
Hidden: show
LOL ghetto image poser gets beaten by rich congressmans kid.
Nekosan

Unread postby Tera » 6 Feb 12, 8:01 pm

How the **** **** is Roy Nelson not dead/comatose?

Also, suck it Diaz - I really hope you do retired you whining douche.
Tera

Head of the International GONlympics Commission

Unread postby CrazyMonkey » 6 Feb 12, 9:05 pm

Tera wrote:How the **** **** is Roy Nelson not dead/comatose?

pretty much this :lol:

those knees would knock anyone the **** out, and the front kick he copped to the face...he just blinked it off...:lol:
CrazyMonkey

Game Admin

Unread postby Nekosan » 6 Feb 12, 9:27 pm

CrazyMonkey wrote:
Tera wrote:How the **** **** is Roy Nelson not dead/comatose?

pretty much this :lol:

those knees would knock anyone the **** out, and the front kick he copped to the face...he just blinked it off...:lol:

I honestly think he might have won that if it was a 5 rounder, Nelson via Werdum having a heart attack. Fabricio's stand up was looking VERY much improved IMO, he just needs to work that cardio.
Nekosan

Unread postby discobrad » 6 Feb 12, 9:32 pm

mma-tracker forums have made my face hurt. the amount of people arguing the fact that diaz won the fight is insane :shock:

fight metrics speak a lot

discobrad

Unread postby Tera » 6 Feb 12, 11:03 pm

Yeah, Condit definitely won the fight.

He might not have being moving forward, but he definitely controlled the fight - he was kiting (which is the perfect term for it imo.) Diaz around the ring for the 5 rounds. Perfect game-plan perfectly executed.
Tera

Head of the International GONlympics Commission

Unread postby Nekosan » 6 Feb 12, 11:13 pm

Tera wrote:Yeah, Condit definitely won the fight.

He might not have being moving forward, but he definitely controlled the fight - he was kiting (which is the perfect term for it imo.) Diaz around the ring for the 5 rounds. Perfect game-plan perfectly executed.

One of thing things I've found to be severely lacking in the MMA community/fanbase is an appreciation for anything that isn't a submission or a brawl, an overwhelming majority of fans have zero appreciation for the subtleties of the ground game and simply can't understand any stand up that doesn't involve moving forward and swinging for the fences. That's one area where I definitely prefer the boxing/kickboxing fanbase, generally they tend to be more educated to the strategy of a fight and less reliant on huge knockouts to enjoy an event.

Sadly, at this stage i think there are still an overwhelming number of fans who fall into the "just bleed" category, there seem to be plenty of people on many forums who can tell you every little thing about a fighter but just can't comprehend performance like the one Condit put on.

Diaz got his **** beat and (once again) showed that he's a disrespectful little girl and that he lacks the mental game to live up to his full potential, I watched those fights with a first time MMA viewer and I was a little embarrassed at the way he carried on, I expect more from a professional.
Nekosan

Unread postby Dedsexi » 7 Feb 12, 12:36 am

Nekosan wrote:
Tera wrote:Yeah, Condit definitely won the fight.

One of thing things I've found to be severely lacking in the MMA community/fanbase is an appreciation for anything that isn't a submission or a brawl, an overwhelming majority of fans have zero appreciation for the subtleties of the ground game and simply can't understand any stand up that doesn't involve moving forward and swinging for the fences. That's one area where I definitely prefer the boxing/kickboxing fanbase, generally they tend to be more educated to the strategy of a fight and less reliant on huge knockouts to enjoy an event.

Sadly, at this stage i think there are still an overwhelming number of fans who fall into the "just bleed" category, there seem to be plenty of people on many forums who can tell you every little thing about a fighter but just can't comprehend performance like the one Condit put on.

Diaz got his **** beat and (once again) showed that he's a disrespectful little girl and that he lacks the mental game to live up to his full potential, I watched those fights with a first time MMA viewer and I was a little embarrassed at the way he carried on, I expect more from a professional.

Haha for "little baby kicks" he sure had a hard time fighting off of that leg after a while, I guess its little baby kicks for a little babies legs though.

I agree aswell, most fans are still stuck in the "If you arent throwing punches or going for an armbar then you are losing" attitude. Diaz didnt impress me with anything in that fight while Condit's performance was impressive all-round from his footwork to how quick he would pull off a kick from an awkward angle.

Condit won, hands down.
Dedsexi

Player

Unread postby RogerTheIncredible » 7 Feb 12, 9:43 am

There is an incredible amount of MMA experts that scored the fight for Diaz. There's also some really questionable scoring on the cards themselves. I personally think it could've gone either way and I enjoyed the fight. I think a lot of the argument is being clouded by the anti-Diaz/pro-Diaz fanatics who are trying to say the fight was all Condit or Condit just ran away and therefore should've lost. Neither of those arguments hold weight. Dodgy judging + close fight = controversy.

This whole thing really just comes down to the scoring criteria being so ambiguous/unpredictable. "Octagon control" and "aggression" are subjective terms that generally contribute to the confusion with disputed decisions.
RogerTheIncredible

Story Teller

Unread postby Nekosan » 7 Feb 12, 3:14 pm

RogerTheIncredible wrote:There is an incredible amount of MMA experts that scored the fight for Diaz.

There's a list somewhere of fighters whose twitter accounts favoured Diaz in the decision, personally I don't think that the majority of fighters have any more idea at how to score a fight than the average educated fan does, there are guys who were just biased and there have been quite a few "condit just ran away" tweets etc from guys who (in their own career) wouldn't know a game plan if it smacked them in the face

I mean really... wtf does someone like Matt Lindland know about a game plan? You could say that guys like Pat Militich scored it for Diaz but again, can you name a single one of his fighters who EVER used a defensive strategy (or for that matter any strategy other than "move forward and hit")? There's a reason his guys aren't at the top any more.

The problem is that a vast majority of people (fighters, trainer or fans) can't see beyond aggression, they think that the guy who moves forward the whole fight HAS to be the winner, you can almost guarantee that if Condit had knocked out Diaz at 4:59 of the final round then these same people would be saying it was a display or "masterful tactics" or something like that.

I actually feel bad for Condit, finally gets the title and all anyone can say is "**** decision".
Nekosan

Unread postby Sathias » 7 Feb 12, 3:28 pm

Now he knows how Machida feels.

Despite his gameplan being effective and I can totally see how he could be given it 48-47 (49-46 was ridiculous) the times when he literally turned his back and ran were pretty cringeworthy. It looked exactly like Horodecki vs Njokuani except for the monster headkick.

Personally, I had rounds 1, 2 and 5 for Diaz and 3 and 4 for Condit.

Looking at Fightmetric, in round 1 Diaz had more head and body shots by far than Condit. Condit had some leg kicks, but Diaz deserves some credit for being the aggressor, if past fight judging is any indication.

Round 2 is clearly Diaz's

Round 3 and 4 are clearly Condit's

Round 5 for Diaz having the back mount and sub attempts.

So it all comes down to round 1, basically.

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Robert Anton Wilson
Sathias

Not allowed to leave

Unread postby Mythor » 7 Feb 12, 3:39 pm

I had Diaz ahead but not convincingly (more aggression, much more octagon control) and I could see an argument being made for Condit's strikes being the more meaningful and so on.

But what it comes down to is Dana White's old saying - Don't leave it in the hands of the judges. It was a five round fight and neither fighter really looked too close to finishing it at any point. When that happens you're pretty much begging the judges to make a decision nobody will agree on. :D

Also, Cheick Kongo has lost his crown to Bruce Leeroy. :dodgy:
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Mythor

TF2 Admin

Unread postby GoToadGo » 7 Feb 12, 3:47 pm

**** Bruce Leeroy, the whole time I was praying he got smacked down. He was a tool on TUF and nothing has changed.
GoToadGo

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby RogerTheIncredible » 7 Feb 12, 5:13 pm

Sathias wrote:Now he knows how Machida feels.

Despite his gameplan being effective and I can totally see how he could be given it 48-47 (49-46 was ridiculous) the times when he literally turned his back and ran were pretty cringeworthy. It looked exactly like Horodecki vs Njokuani except for the monster headkick.

Personally, I had rounds 1, 2 and 5 for Diaz and 3 and 4 for Condit.

Looking at Fightmetric, in round 1 Diaz had more head and body shots by far than Condit. Condit had some leg kicks, but Diaz deserves some credit for being the aggressor, if past fight judging is any indication.

Round 2 is clearly Diaz's

Round 3 and 4 are clearly Condit's

Round 5 for Diaz having the back mount and sub attempts.

So it all comes down to round 1, basically.

That's how I scored it. Helwani reckons he scored it that way and Rogan scores it that way after having watched the fight again at home. But, like I said earlier the issue is the inconsistent scoring criteria and piss poor judging leaving decisions like this open for criticism.

Just take a look at this mess...

Bloody Elbow wrote:Judge Cecil Peoples had it: 10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 10-9, 10-9 for Condit.
Judge Patricia Morse Jarman had it: 10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 10-9, 10-9 for Condit.
Judge Junichiro Kamijo had it 10-9, 9-10, 10-9, 10-9, 9-10 for Condit.
RogerTheIncredible

Story Teller

PreviousNext

Return to Sports