Here's another mod i found, don't know if it can be implemented on the GoN arma server though...http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=84673
Basically it overhauls the tank damage system, making it much more realistic.
"This system introduces a new damage model, based on penetration rather than hitpoints. Kinetic munitions now penetrate less efectively over 1000m and more effectively under 1000m. Different armor values are used against KE and CE as well as for side, rear and top hits.
- code rewritten, the system now runs independent of the addon config
- KE munitions are less effective over long distances
- different armor values for KE and CE
- damage accumulation abandoned
- randomization depending on the munition used
- runs independent of config values, everything is script based now"
It always annoyed me how simplified the tank damage system was in arma. i'm no expect, but i'm guessing tanks don't always explode in real life...