Philanthropic Endeavours

Philanthropic Endeavours

Unread postby RogerTheIncredible » 18 Jan 12, 1:20 pm

Ok so I'm just wondering if it's possible to maybe start some kind of GON community based efforts in fund raising for various charities.

I know we members often participate in these kinds of thing informally anyhow. I was just thinking it may be worth pooling our considerable abilities and connections to perhaps make a change in our local communities.

I for one live literally down the road from the Westmead Children's Hospital and have been long considering getting some kind of gaming based event going to either raise funds or maybe provide material goods as donation to them.

Maybe we could use this thread to spitball ideas for the actual fundraising/donating as well as figuring out what causes the majority of members might like to get behind.

Even if all we manage is a couple of PS3s for a childrens ward or a couple of grand towards research of an illness/disease that's still something worth doing imo.

(I'm looking at this from a perspective of having the people unite under a GON banner [perhaps under a different name] as the community we are rather than representing Internode/GoN as a business donating)
RogerTheIncredible

Story Teller

Re: Philanthropic Endeavours

Unread postby Matty » 18 Jan 12, 1:35 pm

I'll be in. However I do live in Adelaide.
Homercles care not for beans.
Matty

Forum Bot

Unread postby RogerTheIncredible » 18 Jan 12, 1:42 pm

I don't think geography should really matter for an online community. I mean with webcams and mobile internet we could be simultaneously streaming around the country if an event called for it. Good to have someone on board though ;)
RogerTheIncredible

Story Teller

Unread postby Fireslide » 18 Jan 12, 1:46 pm

How would you feel about an Admins vs Random's charity match (or series of matches over different games?)
Fireslide

Unread postby RogerTheIncredible » 18 Jan 12, 1:59 pm

Yeah, there's honestly a ton of opportunity for tournament style charity events.

For example, like a walkathon, we set a deadline like 28th of Feb (or maybe to coincide with a charity date like pink ribbon day) and have it be a competition on say headshots with a certain gun, on GON servers. Participants get sponsored by family and friends for an amount/kill and off we go. We could have the "winner" get some kind of unique title or something on the forums or if we can get a generous dev or publisher maybe some actual tangible stuff.

It just occurred to me that this post might get some better momentum in general chat. Maybe get something growing organically.
RogerTheIncredible

Story Teller

Unread postby Matty » 18 Jan 12, 2:04 pm

Fireslide wrote:How would you feel about an Admins vs Random's charity match (or series of matches over different games?)

Hells yes! Great idea.

Also, this is a great idea too
we set a deadline like 28th of Feb (or maybe to coincide with a charity date like pink ribbon day) and have it be a competition on say headshots with a certain gun, on GON servers. Participants get sponsored by family and friends for an amount/kill and off we go. We could have the "winner" get some kind of unique title or something on the forums
Matty

Forum Bot

Unread postby RogerTheIncredible » 18 Jan 12, 2:43 pm

Does anyone know if any GONers are directly involved with a specific charity?

Also, don't know if there is much call for it here. My Dad's MC organises charity "show and shines" where they all take down their bikes and cars for people to gawk at and donate money. Perhaps something like this but with modded PCs? Hell even just GONers on cars and bikes hehe.
RogerTheIncredible

Story Teller

Unread postby Matty » 18 Jan 12, 3:04 pm

The only charity event I have been involved with (indirectly) was Child's Play during the TF2 "Golden wrench for charity" thing.

I would get really involved with a computer case mod thing but at this point in time money is a factor.

We could set up a lan in different states and have the states battle it out, ie Adelaide vs Sydney TF2 comp or something like that.
Matty

Forum Bot

Unread postby Anon. E. Moose » 18 Jan 12, 3:40 pm

We could even organise GON Groups for Relay for Life in each capital city or surrounding areas.
Get members together in each city and sign up a GON group for the Relay for Life.

It's a nice and simple idea and depending on the level of involvment, is relatively easy to organise, find when/where a R4L is being held, get a list of people who can attend and register a group, then just turn up on the day ready and eagre. It's also a good social event, to get together and meet the community, have a few drinks and a bbq all while running (or walking :P ) for a great cause. :)
I participate in a relay at least once a year, and it's a really good environment. We usually camp out at the relay too.
Steam: Shpleboy
Minecraft: LogicalHero
Origin: LogicalHero
Has a significantly better avatar than lee.
Anon. E. Moose

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby RogerTheIncredible » 18 Jan 12, 3:57 pm

Matty829 wrote:We could set up a lan in different states and have the states battle it out, ie Adelaide vs Sydney TF2 comp or something like that

TF2 State of Origin - Each state picks a local charity and players pay an "entry fee" which the winning state/charity receives maybe?

I really like the Relay for Life idea too. They seem to be scheduled all around the place too which means hopefully everyone who wants to can get involved.
RogerTheIncredible

Story Teller

Unread postby RogerTheIncredible » 18 Jan 12, 4:15 pm

OK so I found this: http://www.donateblood.com.au/club-red (Red Cross)

Essentially someone registers a GON group, donors current or new sign up and our donations get tallied. Throughout the year they run Blood Challenges like state of origins which we can contribute too as well. What do you think guys? From what I can tell this is something quick, easy and near immediate to get off the ground.

[EDIT] It occurred to me that we could even encourage other Aussie gaming communities to take part and drive it with some healthy competition ;D

When you think about it, we spend a lot of our time spilling virtual blood, maybe it's time we organise to spill some in the real world hehe
RogerTheIncredible

Story Teller

Unread postby Matty » 18 Jan 12, 4:23 pm

We could have a "forum off" gaming event for charity.

ie, Gon vs Ausgamers vs OCAU vs the escapist ect ect
Matty

Forum Bot

Return to General Chat