Terra Nova

Forum for the discussions of all things media related

Terra Nova

Unread postby Nicster » 17 May 11, 1:34 pm

Jurassic Park meets Stargate... although apparently the original pitch was "Little House on the Prairie' with dinosaurs"... Not sure what to think. They've slapped the "Spielberg EP" label on it which gives me hope for the dino VFX. Had no idea it was shot in Qld also. Here's an interesting BTS article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 54410.html

Nicster

Player

Re: Terra Nova

Unread postby Disco LT » 17 May 11, 1:44 pm

Looks interesting, on the upside, it can't be any worse than SGU :2gunsfiring_v1:
Disco LT

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Yurtles » 17 May 11, 2:04 pm

I think a show like that could very easily slip into a weekly soap/drama with the setting fading into irrelevancy - like Stargate Universe.
Certainly be willing to give it a chance though, the first couple episodes where they set things up would at least be interesting.
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby exe3 » 17 May 11, 5:25 pm

Must have missed something. Exactly what does this show have to do with Stargate Universe? :?
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Nekosan » 17 May 11, 10:44 pm

Bad CG dinosaurs: Check

Stupid american teenagers: Check

Marketed to a family audience: Check

Confirmed for cancellation mid season, sci-fi needs to be marketed to sci-fi fans. Science Fiction is like the MMO of television genres, networks want 20 million viewers so they make "Home and Away" with dinosaurs or space travel, jurassic park the tv show doesn't work.
Nekosan

Unread postby jmcev » 18 May 11, 1:30 am

exe3 wrote:Must have missed something. Exactly what does this show have to do with Stargate Universe? :?

they travel through a portal to another planet? besides that, i think he was just pointing out that it will end up like sgu, not liked by many and canned.

dont get me wrong though, i loved SGU and ill probably enjoy this. the good thing about not being a pretentious sci-fi wanker is that i can enjoy these types of shows.
jmcev

Story Teller

Unread postby Serval » 18 May 11, 1:54 am

I think they're just going back in time, not to another planet.

It also bears some similarities to Avatar, but without Na'vi or unobtainium:

Serval

Padawan

Unread postby Nekosan » 18 May 11, 2:30 am

jmcev wrote:i loved SGU and ill probably enjoy this. the good thing about not being a pretentious sci-fi wanker is that i can enjoy these types of shows.

See that's the problem though, the people who enjoy sci-fi still enjoy the mass marketed shows like SGU etc unfortunately the demographic they're usually aiming for doesn't, a tiny bit of science/fantasy seems to scare mainstream american viewers out of watching :(
Nekosan

Unread postby Disco LT » 18 May 11, 7:22 am

exe3 wrote:Must have missed something. Exactly what does this show have to do with Stargate Universe? :?

OP just said it was Jurassic Park meets Stargate Universe.. was just commenting that nothing could ever be as bad as SGU.

Wikipedia wrote:The show begins in the year 2149, a time when all life on planet Earth is threatened with extinction. In an effort to save the human race, scientists develop a portal allowing travel 85 million years back in time to prehistoric Earth. The Shannon family (father Jim, his wife Elisabeth, and their three children Josh, Maddy and Zoe) join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first human colony on the other side of the temporal doorway. However, they are unaware that the colony is in the middle of a group of carnivorous dinosaurs

:D
Disco LT

Unread postby exe3 » 18 May 11, 9:32 am

That's an odd thing to say because AGU was hardly bad. :dodgy:

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Helelix » 18 May 11, 9:48 am

exe3 wrote:That's an odd thing to say because SGU was hardly bad. :dodgy:

The last 10 episodes of SgU were freakin brilliant. Too bad that they had to cancel the series just as it was getting good (and too bad that there not making the SgU movie anymore :( )
Helelix

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Disco LT » 18 May 11, 11:05 am

exe3 wrote:That's an odd thing to say because AGU was hardly bad. :dodgy:

Really? I hated it. Am a big fan of SG1 and Atlantis, but would have preferred they kept Atlantis going instead of ending it in just a few very rushed episodes. SGU made me want to renounce myself as a Stargate fan :(

Edited to add: To each their own, I wish I could have enjoyed it half as much as SG1 and SGA.
Disco LT

Unread postby Nekosan » 18 May 11, 4:51 pm

The only thing i didn't like about SGU was the same thing i hate about all scifi shows/series, the writers always go full retard when they start using terrible science as a plotpoint for example:

Hidden: show
The last stasis pod is broken, we need X (rare mineral only found in on planets with asteroid strikes), we'll have to gate to this planet and fight off enemies while 2 guys is spacesuits go out and find some.... in 2 hours... on the surface... with no tools...."oh look we gathered an entire sled full like it was dead leaves"

**** like that^ enrages me, not only do they expect us to believe that this insanely rare mineral was on this convenient planet but they expect us to believe it was just lying around like sand on a beach within a stones throw of the gate, the whole episode was just a waste of time.

Pretty much every long scifi show pulls this **** and it totally puts me off (BSG seemed to be the exception), though it isn't just a problem in scifi, anyone who has watched Bones lately has probably thrown up in their mouth a little.
Nekosan

Unread postby Disco LT » 18 May 11, 5:04 pm

Nekosan wrote:The only thing i didn't like about SGU was the same thing i hate about all scifi shows/series, the writers always go full retard when they start using terrible science as a plotpoint for example:

The last stasis pod is broken, we need X (rare mineral only found in on planets with asteroid strikes), we'll have to gate to this planet and fight off enemies while 2 guys is spacesuits go out and find some.... in 2 hours... on the surface... with no tools...."oh look we gathered an entire sled full like it was dead leaves"

**** like that^ enrages me, not only do they expect us to believe that this insanely rare mineral was on this convenient planet but they expect us to believe it was just lying around like sand on a beach within a stones throw of the gate, the whole episode was just a waste of time.

Pretty much every long scifi show pulls this **** and it totally puts me off (BSG seemed to be the exception), though it isn't just a problem in scifi, anyone who has watched Bones lately has probably thrown up in their mouth a little.

If you add a deflector dish, you pretty much just described every episode of The Next Generation :lol:
Disco LT

Unread postby exe3 » 18 May 11, 7:17 pm

I love SG1 and Atlantis but I compared Universe on its own merits. Don't get me wrong I didn't think it was great but that doesn't mean it was bad either. Season 1 of Universe wasn't that good but neither was Atlantis Season 1 but just like Atlantis it had improved with Season 2. Maybe not by leaps and bounds like Atlantis but by a decent margin (only at ep12 atm myself).

Something I hate about shows though Universe is exceptionally guilty of this is when a show tries to do something new and interesting that for all intents and purposes should have repercussions for many episodes to come but the writers chicken out and close everything up within that episode. SOOOOOOOO many time in Universe they'd start up a storyline and wrap it up unconvincingly perhaps by the next episode when it could have become an interesting major plotline.
An example of this are the aliens on the seed ship and the seed ship itself. Here we have a new race and an important a discovery as the seed ship itself that could change everything. We go a step further by having the aliens be the last of their species, could have open up some very interesting storylines as they try to survive while slowly integrating and growing relations with the destiny crew. But nooooo, that's way too complex for the writers to cope with so they killed both the aliens off and destroyed the ship and ended all that bringing everything full circle to where they were before.

There were also the Telford and Rush doubles in the episode "Twin Destinies". Honestly you're an idiot if you didn't know for a fact of life that one of each would be dead by the end of the episode. I partially blame the writers work on SG1 and Atlantis which were episode of the week type affairs and that worked with SG1 and Atlantis but this is Universe, the story needed to be ongoing like BSG.

Also that stupid baby. Personally I hated her character so would've rathered they fire her and kill off her character instead rather than write in that disgustingly pointless baby storyline.

exe3

Forum Bot

Next

Return to Movies, TV, Books and Music