Portal/Half-Life Universe tie-ins, where art thou? SPOILERS

Portal/Half-Life Universe tie-ins, where art thou? SPOILERS

Unread postby mkeating » 26 Apr 11, 12:33 pm

OK, so I'm pretty guilty of holding out hope that Portal 2 was going to throw some more links between Aperture Science and Black Mesa, and the 2 universes. But outside of a passing reference to Black Mesa by Cave Johnson, and documents saying they came 2nd in federal funding (which suggests that Black Mesa was the winner), the rest is pure speculation. There is also an achievement for finding the "Lost Experiment", which is assumed to be the dock where the Borealis was before it disappeared.

There has been plenty of speculation from Valve writers, suggesting that the events of Portal 1 was set around the time of the Black Mesa incident. There has also been lots of speculation (and arguing) on the Steam forums about what different parts of the game mean, what information is Canon and what isn't... It's all a bit of a mess. And I'm somewhat disappointed that there wasn't more of a reference to the HL universe. In fact the end really ends the game quite neatly.

So, what do you think? I'd like to think the Borealis has either Portal guns, or some other Apeture tech that was current when it disappeared (suspected to be in the 70s). Or, there is some sort of time travel equipment (which is suggested in some of the posters around the old enrichment spheres). Will we see more of Chell too?
Sent from my PC.

My main online presence - D_Keating
mkeating

1337 p0st3r

Re: Portal/Half-Life Universe tie-ins, where art thou? SPOIL

Unread postby Anon. E. Moose » 26 Apr 11, 12:44 pm

I thought during Episode 2, Dr Kleiner specifically said the Borealis was rumoured to hold secret portal technology, something able to create a portal of the scale of the one that opens during Episode 2 or the 7 Hour War, to send the last of the Combine back, not time travel technology, though I can't remember for sure.
Steam: Shpleboy
Minecraft: LogicalHero
Origin: LogicalHero
Has a significantly better avatar than lee.
Anon. E. Moose

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Fireslide » 26 Apr 11, 12:54 pm

I think Gabe Newell has confirmed that the portal 2 and half life 2 universes will tie together in episode 3
Fireslide

Unread postby mkeating » 26 Apr 11, 4:53 pm

Anon. E. Moose wrote:I thought during Episode 2, Dr Kleiner specifically said the Borealis was rumoured to hold secret portal technology, something able to create a portal of the scale of the one that opens during Episode 2 or the 7 Hour War, to send the last of the Combine back, not time travel technology, though I can't remember for sure.

Neither can I - and plenty of people theorise that time travel might be a component of what is on board. I much prefer the thought of portals though (which, surely, is how it got there?).

I'm having troubles trying to get anything official from the long list of quotes on the 2 universes Fireslide. A lot of it is conjecture and opinion :|
Sent from my PC.

My main online presence - D_Keating
mkeating

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby jambo » 28 Apr 11, 11:39 am

So did anyone find the secret Borealis dry dock yet?
jambo

Its over 2 million!

Unread postby Bicketybam » 28 Apr 11, 1:08 pm

Who doesn't try to access every door/open window they possibly can?
ImageImage
" " - Silent Bob

Gamers can really come across with a pathetically huge sense of self entitlement at times
Bicketybam

Senior TF2 Admin

Unread postby Matty » 28 Apr 11, 1:11 pm

Bicketybam wrote:Who doesn't try to access every door/open window they possibly can?

Wolfenstien taught us to try every wall too.
Matty

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Zombywolf » 1 May 11, 4:20 am

Was seriously disappointed that there wasn't even a little connection that they put in there. That being said, I havn't got the "Ship Overboard" achievment. Sadly, I must u-tube it because I dont have the time for achievement hunting :(

And as I said else, would really have liked another stab at black mesa during the ending credits
Without my pants.
Zombywolf

Story Teller

Return to PC Gaming Chat