World of Warcraft Patch 4.1 to Breathe New Life into Old Dungeons

News and announcements of game updates & patches

World of Warcraft Patch 4.1 to Breathe New Life into Old Dungeons

Unread postby News Portal » 25 Feb 11, 3:21 pm

Blizzard are hard at work on patch 4.1 for [app=6101]World of Warcraft: Cataclysm[/app]. The team are currently in the process of preparing some of that new content to be put through the paces in the Public Test Realms. So just what will patch 4.1 include? An update by Zarhym on Battle.net has revealed not only a number of balance changes, but has outlined that a couple dungeons will be undergoing a significant overhaul in the upcoming patch.

Read full article by Matt Williams
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: World of Warcraft Patch 4.1 to Breathe New Life into Old Dun

Unread postby Slazza » 25 Feb 11, 4:28 pm

Give us 5 man heroic Molten Core already!
Slazza

Game Admin

Unread postby Novocaine » 25 Feb 11, 4:45 pm

What a huge patch. I'd think we won't be seeing it for quite a while though. I'm kind of shocked they're announcing it now (probably trying to pull people away from the lure of Rift maybe?). But even still, at this point there are only 25 guilds in the world who have beaten all the current raiding tier.
PLAYGUUU AAHHHH!
Novocaine

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby TheTacoMan » 25 Feb 11, 4:54 pm

No announced warlock changes yet :(.

Keep in mind this is still pretty early days. Most big patches like this one are on the PTR for at least a couple of months before going retail.

When you think about it, what is 'current raiding tier?' Is it just all the normal modes, or all the heroic modes as well? While only a small ammount of guilds have beaten all of the heroic modes, there are thousands of guilds that have completed all the raids in normal mode - and for a lot of the more casual orientated guilds this is good enough for them. Hard modes are for the hard core.

I'm looking forward to ZG 5man, that was one of my favourite instances in vanilla, and also ZA because i never got around to doing it in BC (I quit shortly after TK)
TheTacoMan

Padawan

Unread postby TheTacoMan » 25 Feb 11, 4:54 pm

Slazza wrote:Give us 5 man heroic Molten Core already!

It would be quite... strange to put 5man heroic MC in this patch, given that the new raid instance will contain ragnaros as the end boss
TheTacoMan

Padawan

Unread postby Novocaine » 25 Feb 11, 5:00 pm

Yeah, I was referring to heroic modes. Also looks to be 27 now hehe.

http://www.wowprogress.com/
PLAYGUUU AAHHHH!
Novocaine

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Zombywolf » 25 Feb 11, 6:46 pm

That's so nice that blizzard are into recycling. Why make something new when you can just re-use it?

Good on you blizzard :)
Without my pants.
Zombywolf

Story Teller

Unread postby Freeride » 25 Feb 11, 8:11 pm

Zombywolf wrote:That's so nice that blizzard are into recycling. Why make something new when you can just re-use it?

Seeing ZG is my favorite WoW instance, I couldnt care less. They have recycled ever since the game has existed aswell....I dont know why this surprises you at all.
Freeride

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby TheTacoMan » 25 Feb 11, 9:43 pm

Zombywolf wrote:That's so nice that blizzard are into recycling. Why make something new when you can just re-use it?

Even though it's 'recycled' content, it still undergoes some pretty drastic changes and re-works. Just look at the heroic modes of SFK and Deadmines - they are pretty much completely new instances
TheTacoMan

Padawan

Unread postby Exaemo » 26 Feb 11, 12:34 am

Slazza wrote:Give us 5 man heroic Molten Core already!

Couldn't agree more! The only real action that Molten Core is getting is people running through it in a group of 4-5 level 85 characters to get the raid completion achievement or to twink lower level characters with the epic boss dropped loot (which gets replaced by better uncommon loot a few levels later anyway...).

I'm sure they will overhaul MC...who knows when.

They DID start updating Outland little by little. If you look at the elite hulking Reavers roaming Hellfire Peninsula - they've received new textures, albeit no new model. They look much better than they originally did. Outland is now, after all, the oldest part of WoW.

Also...
That's so nice that blizzard are into recycling. Why make something new when you can just re-use it?

Good on you blizzard

Games that we call and categorise as MMORPGs have a set of general features that place them within that category. Probably the most prominent of features of any MMORPG is the idea and implementation of a "persistent world". The player's characters "live" in this world, sometimes are able to alter it, and often see it alter around them.

It should be no surprise that a company, any company that works in the MMORPG field would revisit "old content" and upgrade it/change it/redo it so on and so forth. The world changes around us in RL. Does a house need to be demolished every time it becomes "old" in someone's eye, or would re-decoration and restoration give an equally satisfying result?

Are you dissatisfied that Blizzard decided to re-do the level 1-60 content instead of putting out yet another new isolated continent for levels 80-85 - leaving the earlier material to age and sit in its outdated state of game play? (long sentence is long)

I believe that Blizzard had a great idea, put good effort and did a fantastic job in revisiting Azeroth by breathing in a new and continued narrative.

A lot of people today complain that developers don't deliver enough support and continued development to non-MMO games...yet when this content is delivered to them, they complain that it should be "free".

You just can't please some people.
Exaemo

Regular

Unread postby kenny6 » 26 Feb 11, 5:14 am

announced the same day as rift head start begins, what a coincidence
kenny6

Player

Unread postby Cyrinno » 26 Feb 11, 9:26 am

Novocaine wrote:What a huge patch. I'd think we won't be seeing it for quite a while though. I'm kind of shocked they're announcing it now (probably trying to pull people away from the lure of Rift maybe?). But even still, at this point there are only 25 guilds in the world who have beaten all the current raiding tier.

I won't be leaving rift to go play some recycled content, so I played through that content 100 times already and they want me to do it another 100 times. Maybe 4.2 for me. Rift all the way until then.
Cyrinno

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Zombywolf » 26 Feb 11, 2:17 pm

way to kill a joke guys :P

while i do like that they are updating/redoing several older instances, touching up here and there...

kinda makes me wonder for how long they'll keep flogging the dead [Juvenile Tundra Horse] though :P
Without my pants.
Zombywolf

Story Teller

Return to News:: Game Updates & Patches