Massive Attack: APB Reloaded: An Interview With GamersFirst

General news and announcements

Re: Massive Attack: APB Reloaded: An Interview With GamersFirst

Unread postby Rega » 20 Jan 11, 11:28 am

I turn interleaving off so probably why I have a lower ping to everyone else.
Rega

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Fenryrbr » 20 Jan 11, 2:11 pm

The main issue is that you will need sub-150ms response times to the westcoast US servers to actually be able to play.

We are even set up to take myriad payments from Australia.

Translation. It won't be playable for Australians but we're still willing to take your money!

We’re more than happy to have our sun-soaked friends from down under join us in San Paro

Please take your tongue out of my arse...
Sen. Mitch McConnell (R) wrote:We'll listen politely to what he has to say and take a look at it, but our view is we need to go in an entirely different direction.
Fenryrbr

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby TRB » 20 Jan 11, 2:27 pm

exactly, no one is going to be pinging at or below 150.
anyone who "has friends from Australia" knows this.

its just a big case of nothing has changed.
TRB

Story Teller

Unread postby tranquil » 20 Jan 11, 3:19 pm

i pinged 174ms, still too high for a shooter.
tranquil

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby devourer » 20 Jan 11, 4:44 pm

just my 2 cents but i played in the british beta and was getting an avg of 400ms it was still playable and enjoyable a tad laggy but playable

if you are looking at 170 ms ~ then imho you will be fine.
devourer

Player

Unread postby exe3 » 20 Jan 11, 5:19 pm

165ms for me
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Denzil » 21 Jan 11, 12:22 am

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 210ms, Maximum = 212ms, Average = 211ms

Back in the day we played CS with 300 odd ping to local servers and made do. Damn LPBs ruined it all!
Denzil

Padawan

Unread postby BreadMan » 21 Jan 11, 7:35 am

devourer wrote:just my 2 cents but i played in the british beta and was getting an avg of 400ms it was still playable and enjoyable a tad laggy but playable

if you are looking at 170 ms ~ then imho you will be fine.

This ^

I played on the EU servers during beta and was lagging but 1. still had plenty of fun and 2. was still competitive against people with less lag.

I don't think you guys should toss this game aside just because of lag. It has a lot of potential but if you guys don't support it how do you ever expect GamersFirst to put up a server in Australia?
BreadMan

n00bie

Unread postby boommer99 » 21 Jan 11, 8:02 am

Hey all,

I just wanted to pop in here and say:

1. This interview was edited internally but a higher up to add ping information with the specific intent to help you all know what to expect. Our intent wasn't to say "You can't play" but to give you a heads up on what connectivity may be like for you.

The main reason we wanted to include this (specific with an IP you can ping) was because we know most of the time developers and publishers just say "No, you can't play, now go away". I didn't want that to be our response. We really want to put the choice in your hands.

2. We hope you'll come and try the game anyway and have plans to have clearly marked Kiwi servers. The 150 ping is a limitation we have internally for "optimal" play. However, I would bet that on your own Districts a ping of 175-250 won't be bad at all. I will say pings over 500 will time out.

3. Finally, we're really serious when we say things like: If the players are there, we'll go there (and/or if someone is willing to host for us :) ). It's not just lip service. We've done this multiple times in the past. We now have offices in the UK, Brazil, India and Turkey all because players showed us they were interested and we increased our support to those areas.

As we speak we're working on building a Middle Eastern service for players there who are greatly interested in our FPS War Rock.

Anyway, I hope to see some of you in San Paro... heck, I'll even try to throw some Kiwi specific closed beta codes out when the time comes so we can get an accurate prediction of how the game will respond :)

Thanks,

~Jon-Enee
boommer99

n00bie

Unread postby Mythor » 21 Jan 11, 8:30 am

boommer99 wrote:2. We hope you'll come and try the game anyway and have plans to have clearly marked Kiwi servers.
Do you mean servers located in New Zealand? Or just servers being run on New Zealand time?
If they'll be located in New Zealand that'd be much, much better than trying to play on US West servers. ;)

Or are you just confused and think this is a site for Kiwis? :D

boommer99 wrote:Anyway, I hope to see some of you in San Paro... heck, I'll even try to throw some Kiwi specific closed beta codes out when the time comes so we can get an accurate prediction of how the game will respond :)
I'm sure a lot of us will check it out regardless. Free is free, after all. :)

But thanks for dropping in and clearing the ping thing up a bit. Hopefully the 150-200 most of us get will still be enjoyable. :)
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Mythor

TF2 Admin

Unread postby boommer99 » 22 Jan 11, 4:40 am

I wanted to respond earlier however... I forgot my login details so had to wait until I got in this morning :P

Mythor wrote:
boommer99 wrote:2. We hope you'll come and try the game anyway and have plans to have clearly marked Kiwi servers.
Do you mean servers located in New Zealand? Or just servers being run on New Zealand time?
If they'll be located in New Zealand that'd be much, much better than trying to play on US West servers. ;)

Or are you just confused and think this is a site for Kiwis? :D

Mythor wrote:
boommer99 wrote:Anyway, I hope to see some of you in San Paro... heck, I'll even try to throw some Kiwi specific closed beta codes out when the time comes so we can get an accurate prediction of how the game will respond :)
I'm sure a lot of us will check it out regardless. Free is free, after all. :)

But thanks for dropping in and clearing the ping thing up a bit. Hopefully the 150-200 most of us get will still be enjoyable. :)

In my defense, in my WoW guild we have a tendency to lump all Aussies with Kiwis (you all seem to get so uppity about it :P). I was in fact speaking of all Aussies and Kiwis. :P

As a token of apology today I have just confirmed that we'll be making about 500 closed beta codes available to our Aussie and Kiwi friends. SO, there will be a lot of people who can tell you exactly how good or bad gameplay will be. :)

~Jon-Enee Merriex
boommer99

n00bie

Unread postby Giblet1 » 22 Jan 11, 5:30 am

I use to rant and rave about APB before it was released to everyone, until I was heart broken to hear no aussie servers/not on sale here. This is great news and I hope there is enough interest to consider servers here or at least be playable on US servers.
Giblet1

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby TRB » 22 Jan 11, 1:35 pm

boommer99 wrote:In my defense, in my WoW guild we have a tendency to lump all Aussies with Kiwis (you all seem to get so uppity about it :P). I was in fact speaking of all Aussies and Kiwis. :P
~Jon-Enee Merriex

Try calling Canadians American or Irish/scotts/welsh english ;)

and I assume these beta codes are available on-site just for signing up for the beta?
TRB

Story Teller

Unread postby Tastynapalm » 22 Jan 11, 2:41 pm

So an Interview regarding a game that no one in Australia can play properly? Now if you've gone to all this effort for an interview, why perhaps 'Node aren't offering to host this game locally for us?
Keepin' It Tidy
Tastynapalm

Has a Beard

Previous

Return to News:: General