Internode WoW Gateway Full Release v2 01/2010

Internode WoW Gateway Full Release v2 01/2010

Unread postby UgLyPuNk » 15 Dec 09, 10:17 am

The Package has been updated please get the new one here. Please delete the old version before installing the new.

The Internode WoW Gateway was designed to increase the playability of World of Warcraft for Internode Customers while keeping it simple to use. There is plenty of black magic that went into making the gateway work, and with help from Horde Witch Doctors we believe we now have it stable and working for the majority of people. But please note, those with too much love of the Alliance may still have trouble getting the performance that we hope out of it, as black magic has differing effects on all setups and computers.

Instructions:
1. Download and unzip the wowgw software package you can get it here

2. In the wowgw folder execute the "run" program.

3. two things should have now happened.

Firstly a window called wowgw1.internode.on.net should have showed up looking like
You might also get a popup window asking if you would like to accept a certificate, you will need to click yes on this. This should only happen once or twice.

Secondly a FreeCap window should start.

4. In FreeCap click File -> Settings.

5. Once in Settings, making sure the "Proxy settings" window is open change the settings so they look like those below

5. Then click on "Program" and make the settings look like those below and then click OK.

6. Click File -> New application

7. Change the settings so they are similar to the settings below, please note you may have to change the "Program path" and "Working directory" to match the location of you World of Warcraft install directory. Then click OK

8. Click the "World of Warcraft Retail" link and you will be on your way.

Notes.
1. This will replace the current gateway shortly into the new year, The current gateway has been unreliable and due to this we won't be continuing using it.

2. This software should work on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7

3. World of Warcraft may crash sometimes when loading, this sometimes happens, we aren't exactly sure of the cause, however it doesn't appear to cause any issues.

4. Mac's don't appear to suffer from the same issues as Windows and although this method may work under Mac, we don't currently support it.

5. This is black magic, we can't guarantee it will work for you.

FAQ
Q1. Why did you use port 1080, I already use it so I need to change it.
A. Port 1080 is the port commonly used for a socks server, and because this is a socks server this is what we used. However it can be changed. Firstly you will need to change the port in proxycap. Secondly you will need to go into your wowgw\putty\ folder and open putty. Once open click on the wowgw saved session then load. Following that go to SSH-> Tunnels. Remove the current "Forwarded ports" by highlighting it then clicking "Remove". Then enter in a source port (the same you used in FreeCap, then put in "127.0.0.1:1080" as the destination port, click "Add". Finally click on Sessions, highlight wowgw and click save. Close down putty and run normally.

Other unsupported things to try.
1. TCPOptimiser (used during the testing process).
To be honest, everyone should use this, it will greatly increase your download speed over long distances.

Downloads
WoW Gateway Version 2
WoW Gateway Version 1

Updates:
Revision 2.
1. Updated Freecap and Putty
2. Disable Nagle's algorithm in putty (reg hacking should no longer be required)
3. Please delete the old version before using the new,
Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"-Albert Einstein
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - Dwight D. Eisenhower
UgLyPuNk

Re: Internode WoW Gateway Full Release 12/2009

Unread postby Psychaotix » 15 Dec 09, 11:23 am

I can confirm this works on Windows 7 RC. Ping times of 300-350MS, though framerate drops from 60 average to 14 average. Tested in Dalaran, with L80 Character on the Stormreaver realm.

System Stats:
Intel Core i7-920 @ 2.66GHz
3Gb DDR3 in tri-channel
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R MB
Windows7 Release Candidate
1Tb system drive, 7200RPM Western Digital
Psychaotix

n00bie

Unread postby UgLyPuNk » 15 Dec 09, 11:35 am

this should cause a fps drop really, unless you are running out of resources, or windows 7 doesn't play nice, during testing my fps stayed above 60 easily.
Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"-Albert Einstein
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - Dwight D. Eisenhower
UgLyPuNk

Unread postby Schwolop » 15 Dec 09, 12:55 pm

Cool, will give this a test tonight (or, if downtime, tomorrow).

I've been using Widecap and the old wowgw.internode.on.net, etc for a few weeks now after Freecap started *always* failing on the first login, thus causing me to have to type my password & authenticator key at least twice, plus having to reselect my region and server, etc. Boy did that get annoying fast!

Other than posting my rant, can I ask what settings are recommended in the World of Warcraft\Data\enUS\realmlist.wtf file? Since the battle.net merge, I've seen forum GMs recommend:
Code: Select all
set realmlist us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
set patchlist us.version.worldofwarcraft.com
set realmlistbn ""
set portal us
but I can't remember what the original settings were.

Lastly, while I understand what to do, the instructions could be clearer for new users. Specifically, the instructions say how to perform the initial setup, but not what is required to then play the game each subsequent time (run putty selecting that server or via easy to create putty shortcut to that specific server, then double click freecap icon you dragged to the desktop).
Schwolop

Padawan

Unread postby Boognish » 15 Dec 09, 1:07 pm

does this improve east coast australian pings or is it mainly to help reduce the pings of the crow eaters and sandgropers?
Boognish

Padawan

Unread postby morge » 15 Dec 09, 1:26 pm

Does this work under windows 7 64bit without the use of memory settings ninjutsu?
"I love deadlines I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by" DNA

morne "bones" le'tent NE Drow Skeleton
singing sword fighting mage.
morge

Player

Unread postby Brayden » 15 Dec 09, 4:54 pm

As the WoW gateway has greatly decreased my latency on WoW using OS X - what are the details for the gateway itself? Assuming the hostname is 'wowgw1.internode.on.net' and the username is 'wowgw', is there any password being used?

Brayden
Brayden

n00bie

Unread postby morge » 15 Dec 09, 8:27 pm

Doesn't appear to work under win7 64bit throws a memory error. I manage to find a work around under vista so when I figure it out again I will post the solution here.

morge

Player

Unread postby Submariner » 15 Dec 09, 9:26 pm

morge wrote:Doesn't appear to work under win7 64bit throws a memory error. I manage to find a work around under vista so when I figure it out again I will post the solution here.

AFAIK Freecap 3.16 does not work well with Win7 64bit. Try changing the files in the "wowgw/freecap" directory to Freecap 3.18, see if that works.
Submariner

Padawan

Unread postby brknsoul » 15 Dec 09, 9:43 pm

Submariner wrote:
morge wrote:Doesn't appear to work under win7 64bit throws a memory error. I manage to find a work around under vista so when I figure it out again I will post the solution here.

AFAIK Freecap 3.16 does not work well with Win7 64bit. Try changing the files in the "wowgw/freecap" directory to Freecap 3.18, see if that works.

3.18 non functional under win7/64bit.

Attempting widecap...

widecap seems to work, but I can't try it out, since it's maintenance tuesday, but the Breaking News window popped up pretty quick.

Do I have to run putty each time, or just the once?
"The caterpillar has emerged from its cocoon as a shark, with a gun for a mouth." -C.M. Burns
brknsoul

Player

Unread postby chAos972 » 15 Dec 09, 10:38 pm

How can I load the provided settings into my existing putty? It seems it's stored in the registry so you can't just put the file in a directory.

Edit: Nevermind, found the "dont start shell or command at all" option and appears to work with that. (can't check entirely until after maint)
chAos972

Player

Unread postby Submariner » 15 Dec 09, 11:42 pm

brknsoul wrote:3.18 non functional under win7/64bit.
What happens? Cannot fully check it out, thanks to maintenance, but 3.18 loads to log-in screen without a problem in Win7 64bit. 3.16 crashes before log-in screen with WoW memory error.
Submariner

Padawan

Unread postby ascended » 16 Dec 09, 1:30 am

since im on win7 64bit ultimate retail, and freecap doesnt like my pc.....
and im using proxycap v3.21

i changed the proxy server for wow.exe to
127.0.0.1:1080
in proxycap. (hope i did this part correctly lol, will find out soon enough :P )

then unziped ur file, took a look in the contents, deleted freecrap(doesn't work for me), edited the run.bat to read:
@echo off
start putty.exe -load wowgw
start wow.exe

next i placed the putty.exe and the folder .putty into my wow folder, which is "D:\Games\World of Warcraft\"

I then ran the newly edited run.bat, which started a putty window, and wow window, so success for me i think, waiting for servers to come back up so i can test this method, ill edit this post with my results later, stay tuned!

old gateway method: 220-292ms (last 2months avg) -- 302-384ms (last 2weeks! O.o)
new gateway method: 254-344ms
without gateway: 450ms-1200ms

edit: updated new gateway ms
Last edited by ascended on 17 Dec 09, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ascended

Player

Unread postby Sathias » 16 Dec 09, 6:13 am

I have it set up the same way (with ProxyCap), and my ping was ranging between 190 and 250 last night, before the servers went down :)

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Robert Anton Wilson
Sathias

Not allowed to leave

Unread postby morge » 16 Dec 09, 8:45 am

The issue is to do with Hardware enforced DEP under 64bit versions on windows. You can exceptions for specific programs which I IIRC I couldn't get working under vista. You can also disable it completely which is what I did last time.

Disabling DEP can cause stability issues and leave your computer more vulnerable to malicious code execution. It is not something I would recommend you do.

morge

Player

Next

Return to World of Warcraft