Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Unread postby Bek » 8 Apr 12, 10:05 am

Yurtles wrote:Going to try and play through The Witcher for the 4th time. Hopefully this time I can stick with it and not lose interest.
Do it. Worst part is the swamps, the rest of the game is ace.

Reinstalled stronghold: crusader on a whim, don't remember the bots being this aggressive... :dodgy:
What can change the nature of a man?
Bek

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby LeeMako » 8 Apr 12, 10:34 am

DarkMellie wrote:Holy ****, just played Natural Selection for the first time.

Really pleased your enjoying the beta DarkMellie, you wait till the exo suits are in! ;) After the Easter hols I should be able to jump on for a few games too. One tip would be learn commander on smaller games, when you have a full server there is too much pressure on the commander to perform and it is a vital role. I play comm quite often and am happy to talk people through it when its their first time, the community is pretty patient with those learning the ropes.

The wonderful thing about this game is how the experience changes at any point in the game. One moment you can have a tense stealth like experience slowly walking the corridors as a marine being hunted by the wall clinging aliens. Then later on full on combat with grenades flying, space Rhinos charging into your base and hectic action.

Its very much like playing an RTS, at the start its anyones game - each team has the confidence and oportunities ahead of them to bring home an amazing victory. You can demoralise or criple your enemy with well timed strategic strikes or wear them down with front line skirmishes. After playing a long hard fought game a victory in NS2 is unlike that of any other game, on the flip side a loss really hurts - but then 'just one more round' as you know you can win the next one! ;)
www.techassault.com.au - Laser Taggers in Melbourne, also well into our gaming
LeeMako

Player

Unread postby Bek » 9 Apr 12, 10:24 am

Replaying STALKER: Call of Pripyat with the MISERY mod. (Screenshots here: viewtopic.php?p=2583636#p2583636 ) It's brutally punishing and all the AtmosFEAR features and general changes makes it bloody atmospheric and captivating. Very easy to get caught between a rock and a hard place now.

For example I was walking to a location for a job and stopped off to grab an artifact on the way there. So this particular artifact is at the top of a twisted tree. If you fall, you're half dead from gravity and in the middle of an anomalous field. So I run past a pack of mutant dogs, and start climbing the tree. After a few quickloads I get to the top, grab the artifact and start heading back down. Then, a loud rumble starts, and the sky starts turning red.. Now, I can't run very far, but there are two spots I can make it to from here to survive the blowout. The first I try is filled with gun-toting zombies, all I have is a mosin nagant and 26 9x19mm rounds for my pistol. Option two is empty, but by the time the blowout finishes I don't have time to make it to the location for the job. Reloads all around.

The combat also has a few improvements, although stalker combat is probably the best in any FPS I've played for enjoyment factor. New pain reactions are excellent, sometimes when you're shot/stabbed/mauled you will drop your gun and the camera will sway while you're character screams. This creates some interesting situations. Once after clearing out a mercenary base, I'd looted the bodies, grabbed the laptop I needed and was about to leave. I hear something behind me, turn around and get shot by a merc who must've been trying to flank me. The pain makes me drop my gun in the doorway, I switch to my pistol and shoot him in the head before he can finish reloading. All happened very fast so was pretty cool to reflect on.

Similar thing happened when running away from a firefight, got hit just as I turned to take cover behind a truck, meaning the only weapon I had with range enough to fight back was sitting in the open while I was getting pinned down by cover fire. Didn't survive that one.

Blowout are also quite an impressive sight (Not my vid).
Bek

Unread postby Yurtles » 9 Apr 12, 10:48 am

Yurtles wrote:Going to try and play through The Witcher for the 4th time. Hopefully this time I can stick with it and not lose interest.

Well. I guess I'm not going to anymore. Owned an original copy which their "no drm" patch refuses to patch up to the extended/directors cut or whatever it is and I can't use the old patch that still uses online verification because they took the servers down - so I bought a Steam copy about 9 months ago. Tried firing it up but apparently they don't assign you a key when you buy it, you only get one when you first start the game. And they're out of keys. And it's Easter. So I dunno, maybe next weekend. :(
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

Story Teller

Unread postby Jungleisgreen » 9 Apr 12, 12:33 pm

That blowout looked incredible Bek.
Jungleisgreen

Padawan

Unread postby exe3 » 9 Apr 12, 3:48 pm

Me wants Bunny Girl Riven. D:

Also I remember watching my friend play play the original NS a million years ago. I wish I wasn't stuck on dial up back then. I missed the golden age of modding and gaming. :cry:
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Bek » 11 Apr 12, 9:24 am

The Witcher 2 Enhanced edition preload here: http://en.thewitcher.com/enhancededition/

10gb! And language packs.
Bek

Unread postby exe3 » 11 Apr 12, 9:48 am

Have they actually stated what's new in the Enhanced Edition yet?

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Anon. E. Moose » 11 Apr 12, 4:29 pm

I actually died a little when I saw the skags at 4:07.
Steam: Shpleboy
Minecraft: LogicalHero
Origin: LogicalHero
Has a significantly better avatar than lee.
Anon. E. Moose

Story Teller

Unread postby exe3 » 11 Apr 12, 6:33 pm

*grumbles* Can't get the Thrustmaster Force Feedback Racing Wheel to work on my brothers Windows 7 64-bit. That's just gonna strengthen his desire for a G27. -_-

exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Bek » 12 Apr 12, 2:35 pm

Grimrock is awesome. Pretty good puzzles and I'm only on the third level so far.
Bek

Unread postby GoToadGo » 13 Apr 12, 10:59 pm

So I've been playing through Halo 3 the last few days as for some reason I've never played it(other than multiplayer) and I loved the first two. Now I cannot fathom why they thought an entire **** level based on the flood was a good idea. I'm walking through caves with almost no ammo fighting off hordes of random enemies that may or may not re spawn. This is not even remotely fun and is spoiling the entire game for me. Why do designers do this? Does no one test this and realise how absolutely horrid it is? What's amazing is at some point someone DID play this and thought "this is awesome, this really works". IT DOESN'T.
GoToadGo

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby exe3 » 14 Apr 12, 12:56 am

They really forgot what made the flood special from game to game. The flood itself wasn't that special, it was the insane 3 or 4 way battles that would occur constantly between the Chief, the Covenant, the flood and the Sentinels which was what made the flood so epic. Halo 2 had some minor Covenant v Flood and Flood v Sentinel moments but Halo 3 removed that completely. Nothing about Halo 3 was very good.

For me I picked back up on Enslaved and am enjoying it thoroughly but it could and most definitely should have been a better game. It's just mindboggling that they gave the okay to such wonky and unresponsive controls and the melee combat leaves something to be desired. Artistically the game is nice but technically it's pretty pathetic, those textures hnng. It just looks ugly from a technical standpoint to me and it has one of the worst motion blur filters i've seen. >_<

Also reinstalled Max Payne 2 due to some proper Max Payne 3 footage (ie: the stuff where he isn't bold) getting me a bit excited for the games. Only got to the warehouse at the very beginning before a friend wanted to play LoL but omg they don't make games like they used to. Just walking around watching the physics fly around and being able to walk up to cupboards and doors trying to see what opens and what doesn't. I want more games like that again, I want that freedom even in linear games. T_T

exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Marius » 14 Apr 12, 4:25 am

The art style of Borderlands 2 just doesn't do it for me. There's no real link between the character models and the world design. It looks like paper models walking through Unreal Tournament.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby Disco LT » 14 Apr 12, 6:28 am

Bek..that video makes me want to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R .. I go through these phases, but I never buy the damned games.
Disco LT

PreviousNext

Return to GON Lounge