Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Unread postby cyclobs » 2 Mar 12, 7:52 am

DarkMellie wrote:Microsoft Flight is the TDU 2 of the skies.

I kinda like it, it's charming in its own way. Recognised my HOTAS Warthog and Saitek Rudders, but the key and throttle assignments are all sorts of messed up.

Will be grabbing Hawaii and some new aircraft for sure. Sometimes it's nice to just have an arcade casual flight game... like Take On Helicopters.

i don't like it. it's arcdy and boring. But then i was hoping for a new improved fsx with more planes / jets and actually properly done jets unlike the default 747 in fsx which is a pile of ****.
cyclobs

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby DarkMellie » 2 Mar 12, 2:53 pm

Just hit level 43 in BF3 on Xbox... 2 more ranks for 50G! Also unlocked Gunfighter (20G), get 10 kills with each of the BtK weapons... found out which was the DPV jeep, jumped in it and got 8 roadkills my first try!

Putting some time into Skyrim... after uncovering all the caster-hate, thinking I might do some youtube vids on the life of a caster... could probably be 10 minute videos of me dying and reloading!

Am waiting for someone to put up a good HOTAS file for MS Flight. Looking forward to cruising around in that.

Aaaaand after putting in now 50 hours into NBA 2k12 as well as having it on iPhone, I also picked it up for PSP.
ImageImage
GoN TS Channel: Mellie's Random Games
Channel Password: gonmellie
DarkMellie

Unread postby exe3 » 2 Mar 12, 3:45 pm

Started God of War Ghost of Sparta and at first everything was great, graphics were noticeably better, combat felt more responsive, enemies felt smarter yet fairer. Things went bad with the magic though. :(

The first game had you hold R and press a face button to do a magic attack which was frankly a brilliant way to set it up. No different to holding L to do spin attacks and such with the blades. Worked extremely well especially for spells that needed to target an enemy.

Ghost of Sparta changed that and just mapped them to the d-pad, a horrible mistake given you have to stop moving to actually cast them, plus the first spell you need to aim so you always waste some of it and leave yourself open as you try to cast it.

So what's R used for now? Basically an autoattack modifier, it boosts your swords damage and must be used against certain enemies to damage them. It's frankly awkward to use as you have to hold the button down and i'm constantly accidentally doing dodges when I try to hold L for a spin attack and R for the flame damage.

They should have kept the magic system the same and have up on the d-pad activate and deactivate the fire damage. As it is they've just broken a perfectly amazing control scheme to introduce a new ability that's awkward to use and not that special anyway.

The least they could have done was allow for multiple control schemes. Why don't so many console games let you do this?
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby DarkMellie » 3 Mar 12, 1:51 am

What platform is that on? PSV?

So, Microsoft Flight. What an abomination. Bought the Mustang, it doesn't even have a cockpit view. What the hell? The game also incorporates the Bing search engine and IE6, sets IE6 as your primary browser without asking.

So many things wrong with this game. If it can't be modded, it's a complete failure.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby exe3 » 3 Mar 12, 9:16 am

IE6? I thought MS themselves are trying to remove it from the face of history.

And Ghost of Sparta is PSP* though you can get it for PS3 with GoW Collection 2. I'm not so much angry at it as I am disappointed and a little frustrated. They had a real good system going on with Chains of Olympus, why they dropped that system and made spells a chore to activate, giving the R button to a new ability which quite frankly didn't even need that access is beyond me. The game is still fun though and i'm doing my best to work around the changes (albeit I use spells noticeably less than I did in Chains of Olympus).

*They need to make a Vita one though. Despite everything I say, Ready at Dawn is a pretty decent development studio and despite the control screwup Ghost of Sparta is an astounding improvement over Chains of Olympus and i'd love to see more GoW games from them on Vita.

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby DarkMellie » 4 Mar 12, 1:29 am

That moment when you're exploring a digsite and are probably a hundred blocks down and you enter a cavern so vast that fog appears, instantly reigniting your love of Minecraft...

Off to the Minecraft forum to figure out how to claim my own piece of turf.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby DarkMellie » 5 Mar 12, 2:42 am

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is available for prepurchase from their website, which gives you a beta key for Steam.

It's 4am, I get up at 11... I'm old and need my sleep. Therefore, it's a very good game.

http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Marius » 5 Mar 12, 2:56 am

Have just started playing through Mass Effect 1 in preparation for Mass Effect 3 launching on Tuesday (and still need to play through two with this save before 3 arrives.)

I'm not going to make it.

Though I can still play the ME3 multiplayer while I work through the first two games.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby DarkMellie » 5 Mar 12, 12:02 pm

Yeah, you might have let that run a little late. It's a shame Mass Effect 3 wasn't advertised earlier than today!

Grabbed NBA 2K12 on PSP as stated earlier in the thread.. turns out the iPhone version is much, much, much better in graphics and controls. Sold my PSP and all 8 games, got a decent turn-in for it as well. Paid off ME3 and put down the rest on the Witcher 2 Dark Fire edition.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Marius » 5 Mar 12, 2:54 pm

Playing through ME1 for the first time now... it's interesting how much people look at it with rose tinted glasses when compared to ME2 and ME3.

It's a fun game, but here are a few issues:

The game is slow. Took me to level 8 before I was actually doing proper missions rather than set pieces. I never want to set foot on the Citadel again.

Inventory management is a real pain.

Dialogue is like being hit over the head with an encyclopedia of utterly useless information, whereas in ME2, the dialogue is fast and entertaining.

They managed to make the cover system even more annoying than in ME2 and ME3. A lot of the times you simply don't know where you can take cover, or where you can fire from. Which is probably to be expected, given its only the first game in the series, but it puts complaints about ME3's cover in a whole new light.

And the graphics are pretty bad, though I can forgive that since the game came out years ago.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby exe3 » 5 Mar 12, 3:09 pm

Rar rar rar you're always so negative! :P

But seriously in general ME2 was a big improvement over ME1 but the general 'experience' of ME1 was far superior to ME2 imo. I mean ME1 was this grand galactic scale adventure, ME2 was smaller in scope and mostly about the stories of your crewmates. A grand epic is usually more memorable.

Combat mechanics were definitely improved 10 fold to ME1 (even though they still remain very weak compared to real shooters) but that was more around pushing the game away from being a shooter/RPG hybrid and closer to just a straight shooter with some RPG elements which many didn't like. It's kind of another AC1/2 scenario, instead of fixing what was wrong in the first game they just scrapped it and tried something else.

Maybe it's the rose tinted glasses but I don't remember the game looking bad (or much different at all to ME2 tbh) nor poor dialogue.

And finally pacing would have been slow at the start because that's your first introduction to this universe.

exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Makena » 5 Mar 12, 3:25 pm

Marius wrote:Playing through ME1 for the first time now... it's interesting how much people look at it with rose tinted glasses when compared to ME2 and ME3.

It's a fun game, but here are a few issues:

The game is slow. Took me to level 8 before I was actually doing proper missions rather than set pieces. I never want to set foot on the Citadel again.

Yeah, ME1 started off far, far too slowly, only reason I stuck with it after 2-3 failed attempts was my friends insisting it was worth it in the end, and having a general interest in the universe.

Glad I did in the end, as I feel once you get through that harsh start the story really comes into its own.
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

Unread postby Marius » 5 Mar 12, 3:45 pm

exe3 wrote:Maybe it's the rose tinted glasses but I don't remember the game looking bad (or much different at all to ME2 tbh) nor poor dialogue.

You should load it up again... character textures are really blurry.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby VitalBlurs » 5 Mar 12, 3:50 pm

Played the Rayman Origins demo....

Looks superb and feels pretty slick too! (even on an average rig)

Will definitely be pre-ordering that one. Up to 4 player co-op (just 2 will do). I'll have to grab another 360 controller for the PC now.
VitalBlurs

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Makena » 5 Mar 12, 3:53 pm

Marius wrote:
exe3 wrote:Maybe it's the rose tinted glasses but I don't remember the game looking bad (or much different at all to ME2 tbh) nor poor dialogue.

You should load it up again... character textures are really blurry.

If you can be bothered, there is some way to make it look less terrible:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2282965
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat