RaceRoom Racing Experience Discussion

Re: RaceRoom Racing Experience Discussion

Unread postby Cas Bitton » 13 Feb 13, 3:21 pm

v4moose wrote:edit: wait - When I'm capped, internode unmetered content still goes at full speed, does anyone know if its the same for unmetered steam content servers?

Servers Internode run, yes they are unmetered and unshaped. The same goes for all file downloads from the games.on.net file library :).
Follow us: Image Image Image
Cas Bitton

Dos Capas

Unread postby v4moose » 13 Feb 13, 3:26 pm

schmick, here's hoping that raceroom actually made it onto the node steam servers. fingers crossed :)
Hit me up on Steam!
A really annoying sig used to be here
v4moose

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Cas Bitton » 13 Feb 13, 3:27 pm

v4moose wrote:schmick, here's hoping that raceroom actually made it onto the node steam servers. fingers crossed :)

Chance of that these days is extremely high :)

Off memory this is a 4-8GB download.
Follow us: Image Image Image
Cas Bitton

Dos Capas

Unread postby v4moose » 13 Feb 13, 3:35 pm

am i reading this correctly on the steam page? No multiplayer? Sir, I am deflated :( Surely that would have to come soon for this to stand a chance...
Hit me up on Steam!
v4moose

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Mearehear » 13 Feb 13, 3:43 pm

Doesn't even have singleplayer at the moment, races with AI that is. It is just time trail hotlapping basically.

I purchased Bathurst, and a few cars, but really not that keen on it. The Audi I got feels like a car from Race07 in its handling, nothing impressive at all, and Bathurst has so many poorly animated wavey flags that look like that came from a game 10 years ago, as well as silly huge colour coded brake marking signs on the edge of the track, they just take away immersion for me. Maybe I am too used to iRacings tracks now..

It also just feels like a ghosttown at the moment, just leaderboards to on. You can see where the singeplayer button is, but it is greyed out. You can test track and have a few AI cars on there, but its not a race.

Might be worth more of a look in 6mths time, but for now it really won't get more of my money or time.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby VitalBlurs » 13 Feb 13, 5:15 pm

I've been playing GTR2 for the last couple of years mostly because my PC wasn't good enough to run Race07 on the high settings (I refuse to run games on low settings :P )

When I built a new PC last month I was finaly able to run games like RaceRoom and Race07 properly........woot!

But would you believe that after only a few hours, I've gone back to GTR2.....and it's mostly because of the feedback in the wheel (I use a G27 but with the momo force feedback setting within the game options) I've fiddled with the feedback options in RaceRoom and Race07 and managed to improve the feel quite a bit, but in comparison to GTR2 it just feels numb and unsatisfying.

Like Mearehear, I'll probably try it again later on, once they've tweaked it some more.
VitalBlurs

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Mearehear » 13 Feb 13, 9:04 pm

Yeah it probably sounds like I am hating on it a bit much from my last post, but the actual fact is I have owned pretty well every SimBin game since they started, including when GTR was just a mod for EA F1 2002, so I think I give them a fair bit of love. But at the moment this just feels like a cash in, until they start putting in real features like racing with AI or proper multiplayer racing. At the moment it is no more that a time trial game, that is charging you money for each car and track. And unlike iRacing these tracks are not laser scanned to my knowledge, and really dont compare to the quality of iRacings track, which is one of the main reason to validate handing out money on a track by track basis. Then as Vital has said also, the handling just isn't all it could be, it tends to be another one of these "floaty" feeling race sims, though it does vary from car to car for the quality of "feel".

Once real features are added in to make this a proper title, it could be used to justify its flaws in other areas, but until then they are asking a lot for very little in return, if you want to play more than just the free stuff.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby v4moose » 13 Feb 13, 10:26 pm

Some quick pros and cons from my perspective

Pros -
Free
The sounds on some cars is freaking amazeballs, especially in the beamer, hard underbrakes while bottoming out on hill climb
Graphics are generally solid - I like the look as it hasn't been 'jazzed' with unnecessary filters or motion blur. Colour grading is nice.
Sense of speed is quite good, especially on hill climb and in the cockpit.
Keyboard friendly

Cons -
No singleplayer against AI
No multiplayer
Damage system is non existent. Select 'realist damage' (underneath it says iirc 'damage behaves as it does in the real world') then hit a wall at 200kph and leave with a dent you could pull out with a plunger
Certain elements of the graphics need improvement - car interiors are bland, some textures low res, animated flags are poor
Car handling is dependant on car, some are 'good' some feel floaty.
The sim chugs a bit if you decide to do a burnout
Hill climb has 'walls' on either side of the track. On the left is the chuck norris of fences, the other is a small grassy kurb. This means you can't hit anything decent like trees etc, couple that with the damage factors and you can race through relatively simply
Even though its free to play, its pay to enjoy. I'm bored of the content now and I've played it for an hour. Granted it will be better when you can actually race people on these free to play tracks.
Last edited by v4moose on 14 Feb 13, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hit me up on Steam!
v4moose

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby diamondd » 13 Feb 13, 10:51 pm

all in all its not baaaad for being free and in its early days.

at best it will only be tiding me over until Assetto Corsa hits <3
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Mearehear » 14 Feb 13, 12:47 am

I think your points sum it up pretty damn well moosey, and I would totally agree. Might sound like from my posts I am being hard on it, but it is a game with potential that I hope just delivers a bit more soon.

Waiting for that day too DD, Assetto Corsa has my interest above any other title at the moment :)
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby jbr90 » 18 Feb 13, 3:29 pm

i love it (and ive played them all including iracing which i still play) bathurst is the best version ever made (thats the reason i got it) in fact it is pefect. all other versions get something wrong but this is spot on (expect those silly corner markers) the cars handle ok, everyones wants to be hard like GPL was, well the cars in this game are so far removed from GPL cars of course they wont be as hard to drive! im happy to just keep hot lapping bathurst because IT IS bathurst. I like the other track the the compitions are on too. dont give me the same tracks that every other game has, i want tracks that havent been done before (you can shove NB, learning that track is like doing a rally. i hate it).
jbr90

n00bie

Unread postby Mearehear » 18 Feb 13, 3:34 pm

jbr90 wrote:(expect those silly corner markers)

Bathurst was the one track I purchased, and you are right it is great except those damn corner markers, and the poorly animated flags. The track itself is pretty awesome. :)

And welcome to GON :)
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby brat81 » 18 Feb 13, 4:19 pm

Why when i play this i feel no excitement ?
brat81

Story Teller

Unread postby Mearehear » 18 Feb 13, 4:21 pm

brat81 wrote:Why when i play this i feel no excitement ?

I think cause it is lacking a lot still, I sure have my gripes with it but hopefully it gets polished up into a better title with a bit of time. Too many things are lacking in it at the moment, like actual racing with AI or Multiplayer. Potential is there though.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby Mearehear » 24 Feb 13, 9:13 am

Assetto Corsa just killed this game for me :lol:

/uninstall
Mearehear

Game Admin

Previous

Return to PC Gaming Chat