Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades

Unread postby FrAUdie » 11 Apr 11, 11:28 pm

As far as I know this only came out a few days ago.

Think Minecraft and CTF blended together.

This is stand-alone, not a mod to Minecraft or anything.

It's awesome fun!

http://ace-spades.com/
FrAUdie

Regular

Re: Ace of Spades

Unread postby FrAUdie » 11 Apr 11, 11:33 pm

http://i53.tinypic.com/jgtzjs.jpg

Their website is vague, here is a 'How to Play' picture made by some random.
FrAUdie

Regular

Unread postby Klas » 22 Apr 11, 7:07 pm

This game is excellent. I was playing it today. You MUST give it a try! :)

Don't take my word for it: 10 Reasons You Need To Play Ace Of Spades

There's also a wiki with new player guides: http://www.aceofspadeswiki.com/index.ph ... =Main_Page

Get into it, love it and then come back here and beg gon for a server :P
Klas

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby ProHann » 23 Apr 11, 11:50 am

Must play! Cool, fun game.
ProHann

Player

Unread postby hellerphant » 21 Jan 13, 2:26 pm

Has anyone played it? Is it worth a purchase?

Last I heard there weren't any Australian servers so it was a laggy experience at best.
hellerphant

Player

Unread postby Mearehear » 21 Jan 13, 2:34 pm

hellerphant wrote:Has anyone played it? Is it worth a purchase?

Last I heard there weren't any Australian servers so it was a laggy experience at best.

Is all good now that Aussie servers have been put in place. I bagged it out a bit for the terrible game ruining lag and bugs at first, but it is generally a fun smooth game, with only minor issues here and there. Worth playing and there is often at least 5 to 6 well populated Aussie servers - All servers are run by Jagex that produce the game.

EDIT - Alternatively look up the free 0.75 version of Ace of Spades. This is the game before Jagex purchased it off the original developer and it supposedly still has a strong following.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby hellerphant » 21 Jan 13, 2:45 pm

I might just take the plunge, isn't it under $15?

Don't mind supporting the devs if the game is decent and has online services for Aussie gamers. Keen to check this out - I played the GunCraft beta and I loved the idea, but this seems to pull it off much better.
hellerphant

Player

Unread postby Mearehear » 21 Jan 13, 3:07 pm

Yup it is just $9.99 :) Considering I quite hated it at first, I have now gone on to put 18hrs of game time into it. Just dont expect to build much in it, it is far more about destruction than building during combat. I get causal laughs out of it now anyway, that is worth $10 :)
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby hellerphant » 21 Jan 13, 7:29 pm

I was going to ask, how is the building element in this game? What structures can you actually build, and do they offer more than just cover when fighting?
hellerphant

Player

Unread postby Mearehear » 22 Jan 13, 3:19 pm

To put it simply, building is not even part of the game. You can place single blocks, or predetermined "clumps" of blocks, but they aren't effective for anything more than helping you get up a few blocks higher when trying to climb something.

Rounds are too short, maps are too small and destruction is too easy for building to be effective. Given that knocking out the bottom row of anything will lead to its collapse and even team mates will bring your structures down.

Mostly the maps have prebuilt worlds with different themes, and its more about how you use them, or destroy them, to your advantage.

Still fun, but very disappointing on the building side.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby hellerphant » 22 Jan 13, 9:34 pm

Thanks for the info Mearheare, sounds like a good idea in theory but lacing in execution.
hellerphant

Player

Unread postby El_Funko » 23 Jan 13, 2:38 pm

One of my mates just brought this game to my attention. Looks pretty fun, we'll probably try it out at the upcoming iiNet staff lan.

I did some searching on their forums and I couldn't see any mention of dedicated server files being made available. I'd love to run a couple servers on our hardware, but it looks like they've kept it to themselves for the time being. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

In the mean time, I'll shoot a request through to the devs and cross my fingers for a positive response.
El_Funko

Server Administration Team

Unread postby Mearehear » 23 Jan 13, 2:59 pm

Matt you are right, Jagex controls all the server side stuff.

Google "0.75 Ace of Spades" for the last version by the original dev before Jagex purchased it from him. I believe it has all server options and many more options (so I have read). It's still totally legit to download and use that version, and Jagex even have a link to it on their forums. It might suit your needs better, but is a slighty different game (better in some ways I am told)
Mearehear

Game Admin

Return to PC Gaming Chat