So I'm about to do something silly.

Forum for Technical discussions

Re: So I'm about to do something silly.

Unread postby Ninja Catfish » 27 Mar 12, 10:12 pm

I was in a slightly not really at all similar situation about 2 years ago. Figured I wasn't gaming much on PC anymore, sold my PC and got an iMac.
It was a gloriously good computer, I still miss it for it's lack of cables everywhere, it's freaking gorgeous huge screen etc, but in the end, I started growing fond of PC gaming again, sold it and went back to a Windows box.

Obviously you'll be using it for a much different purpose, but I felt my story was semi-relevant.

I'm sure you already have, but have you considered a high-end iMac for your needs? You'd be paying half the price for comparable internals. That said, you won't get your multiple CPUs, so if you must have the absolute most power you can, them a Pro over an iMac makes sense.
Nintendo Network ID - Catfiish | Live - NinjaxCatfish | PlayStation ID - NinjaCatfish | last.fm - NinjaCatfish | Twitter - StevenImpson
Ninja Catfish

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 27 Mar 12, 10:28 pm

I think I should be able to live without a Mac Pro long enough to hopefully see the upgrade and price drop, I think I might just mess around with Hackintoshing for a bit and buy a separate drive for it to run on so Windows isn't screwed with.

RIGHT now isn't the best time to buy a new one so I might even grab an older model just to see what it's like and see what I think.
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby skitzor » 28 Mar 12, 7:23 am

Ash_Williams wrote:I think I should be able to live without a Mac Pro long enough to hopefully see the upgrade and price drop

relative to everything else, this isn't going to happen.
skitzor

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Bluefire » 28 Mar 12, 7:26 am

How friendly are you with your local mac reseller ?
Or how much time do you have to google EXACTLY what is in a mac pro ?
Seeing as no parts are made specifically for mac there shouldnt be anything stopping you building a PC out of clone mac parts.. for 50% of the cost... as long as your matching the parts to something a default mac OS will recognise you shouldnt have any stablility issues..
Just a pitty most graphic software programs arent written for linux... then you could have pc components superior to what they put in the mac for a cheeper price.. and a more stable os with a smaller resource footprint.
Bluefire

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Auld » 28 Mar 12, 7:36 am

Buy a HP Z800(or Dell Equiv) theyre almost exactly a Mac Pro hardware wise.

I'd be surprised if you can get a Mac Pro now. We are a Mac reseller and we've run out, they are on constraint so we can't get anymore.
Auld

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 28 Mar 12, 8:20 am

Ok, so I've got an old busted Powermac G5 ordered so I can rip it's guts out and do some craftsmanship to the inside with parts I have laying around (ironically all Mac Pro'ish) so I'll see if I can Hackintosh it and then consider going the whole hog if and when Apple throws out an update with some better pricing. It's still on the front of my mind so I think in the end I'll be moving to a Mac Pro in the near future anyway.
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Auld » 28 Mar 12, 8:22 am

Ash_Williams wrote:Ok, so I've got an old busted Powermac G5 ordered so I can rip it's guts out and do some craftsmanship to the inside with parts I have laying around (ironically all Mac Pro'ish) so I'll see if I can Hackintosh it and then consider going the whole hog if and when Apple throws out an update with some better pricing. It's still on the front of my mind so I think in the end I'll be moving to a Mac Pro in the near future anyway.

Xeon processors and motherboards are still going to be relatively pricey.....or do you plan to run a consumer chip hackintosh in the mean time?

Looking at the ETAs for HP's new Z-series machines, my guess is we should see something from Apple in May/June.
Auld

Unread postby Matty » 28 Mar 12, 8:24 am

Out of curiosity, what are the spec of the current computer that can't handle the work you are trying to do?
Homercles care not for beans.
Matty

Forum Bot

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 28 Mar 12, 8:32 am

It will be running on an i5 for the time being, just to see if I can get a proper Hackintosh running for starters. If it's not cutting the mustard for what I need then it's a heavy glorified Lan PC with OS X installed.

It's not so much that my current one can't handle what I throw at it, it's that when I start doing some intensive work it just can't cope with what's going on at a Windows level, I can have upto around 80% CPU usage, 70% RAM usage and my GPU's are about the only thing not struggling with much other than to get fan speed up to about 60% and Windows becomes a completely unusable piece of ****, to the point anything I'm doing begins to slow down.

This comes down to the fact that:
a) Windows isn't optimised to deal with such situations
b) Windows isn't designed truely for the hardware that runs underneath
c) A Mac Pro (for instance) is designed from the ground up with the OS to run optimised and with complete performance.

I'm happy with my current setup, don't get me wrong I spent $3500 on this puppy 6 months ago and it will run absolutely any game you throw at it. Windows just isn't upto the task of dealing with the amount of processing I'm throwing at it right now and a Mac Pro is a completely logical answer to the problem.

I've looked at HP and Lenovo Workstations and can safely say that while I feel that they are cheaper, they still have the one underlying bottleneck that a Mac Pro doesn't. A completely optimised operating system that can manage and deal with massive processing without really impacting overall performance.
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Auld » 28 Mar 12, 8:37 am

Ash_Williams wrote:I've looked at HP and Lenovo Workstations and can safely say that while I feel that they are cheaper, they still have the one underlying bottleneck that a Mac Pro doesn't. A completely optimised operating system that can manage and deal with massive processing without really impacting overall performance.

RHEL on the z800's is awesome. But then you are probably running into problems with linux software versions.
Auld

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 28 Mar 12, 8:41 am

Auld wrote:
Ash_Williams wrote:RHEL on the z800's is awesome. But then you are probably running into problems with linux software versions.

I agree, but your correct in the problems with Linux versions.
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby ashman1991 » 28 Mar 12, 9:53 am

Ash_Williams wrote:This comes down to the fact that:

I'm happy with my current setup, don't get me wrong I spent $3500 on this puppy 6 months ago and it will run absolutely any game you throw at it. Windows just isn't upto the task of dealing with the amount of processing I'm throwing at it right now and a Mac Pro is a completely logical answer to the problem.

I've looked at HP and Lenovo Workstations and can safely say that while I feel that they are cheaper, they still have the one underlying bottleneck that a Mac Pro doesn't. A completely optimised operating system that can manage and deal with massive processing without really impacting overall performance.

:| Wtf are you on about?

Yes, Apple spend a fair bit of time optimising their OS with specific hardware, but holy ****, you talk like Windows just does not run at all.
ashman1991

Padawan

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 28 Mar 12, 9:58 am

Do you even understand that what I want is stability? When in god's name has Windows ever been stable enough to run rendering sessions for 60 hours without a fault?

I don't think your getting the point that what I'm truely after in the end is the best reliability possible and I can safely say that will only happen with a Mac or HP/Dell Workstation running Linux. I've never understood if your just here to make comments that imply "Mac's are giant wastes of money" or what but I've just about had enough of your remarks.

I will ask that you don't come back into this thread until you have something contructive to say, I made a valid point that Windows isn't "optimised" for the hardware and your not understanding? Seriously, piss off.
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Gamer87 » 28 Mar 12, 10:07 am

Ash_Williams wrote:Do you even understand that what I want is stability? When in god's name has Windows ever been stable enough to run rendering sessions for 60 hours without a fault?

Since like win7, hell even vista was flawless for me.

Ash_Williams wrote:I don't think your getting the point that what I'm truely after in the end is the best reliability possible and I can safely say that will only happen with a Mac or HP/Dell Workstation running Linux. I've never understood if your just here to make comments that imply "Mac's are giant wastes of money" or what but I've just about had enough of your remarks.
Linux can also be very very unstable.

Ash_Williams wrote:I will ask that you don't come back into this thread until you have something contructive to say, I made a valid point that Windows isn't "optimised" for the hardware and your not understanding? Seriously, piss off.

Most of what people are saying is constructive... you just seem to be to caught up on following your own ideas... so really there is no point to this thread since you're asking a question that nobody will be able to answer?
Gamer87

Padawan

Unread postby DXPetti » 28 Mar 12, 10:27 am

Ash_Williams wrote:This comes down to the fact that:
c) A Mac Pro (for instance) is designed from the ground up with the OS to run optimised and with complete performance.

You clearly have little understanding what goes on between ISVs, OEMs and Microsoft and I am going to go out on a limb here and state you didn't come here for advice, you can here for opinions similar to your own to justify a decision you have already made
DXPetti

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Chat