System for the wife (photoshop, browser, games)

Forum for Technical discussions

Re: System for the wife (photoshop, browser, games)

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 22 Mar 12, 11:49 am

Buy it. Gainward = Fantastic video card.
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 22 Mar 12, 5:10 pm

the difference between the HX and TX is the HX is a modular psw and the TX is a hybrid, both offer the same internals, it will probably be hard to dig up a review on them as they are old as the hills now, but still one of the strongest psu's on the market. Whilst they have a 'bronze' rating from memory they were more than up to the challenge of making silver except for draw from memory. Platinum rated stuff i tend to pass on, gold is generally the better product.

major differences between the asrock aside from price, but have the same amount of ports on the back, and it looks like the gigabyte has another usb3 header, but i have always heard mixed reviews on the usb3 controller used on the gigabyte's where the asock's usb3 contollers and software seem to be one of the best for transfer rates. but apples to apples, Gigabyte are one of the best, and their z68 boards are generally fool proof, just trust in the product you know i guess.

last cart looks good, i would double check that the gigabyte board comes with all the usb extensions you will need, and check if the case has usb3 headers in it. ;) nice build.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby Bluefire » 22 Mar 12, 7:06 pm

Apart from modular what Ive been reading says the HX is based on older Seasonic psu, The TX "v2" while a slightly lower range product is based on a newer Seasonic psu design and supposed to be on par/prehaps slightly better than its older but higher range brother. Fingers crossed Ive been reading the right stuff :P

Case SEEMS to contain the cabling for front port and am getting her a 5 1/4 front pannel with more usb/usb3.0 etc to cover the extra. (I was pretty much given no choice on the board once I told her that it had 16 usb ports, she is using all 6 ports on her current system atm, one of which contains a 12 port usb hub that is over half full) Pretty sure given her current system that the gbytes usb controllers will still be an upgrade for her even if not as good as asrocks :)
Bluefire

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Tera » 22 Mar 12, 7:17 pm

Tera

Head of the International GONlympics Commission

Unread postby emllik » 22 Mar 12, 7:58 pm

I'd up the SSD to a 128GB so you can put the Lightroom catalogue/previews on it .
emllik

Padawan

Unread postby Treloar » 23 Mar 12, 1:39 pm

Are you specifically set on an Intel system, what about AMD :?:
Treloar

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Psymon01 » 23 Mar 12, 5:43 pm

May I just add that the case (imo) is amazing for the price you pay. Easy cable management and my motherboard is pretty average for such. I threw in some BitFenix fans also which I am very impressed with.
Psymon01

Regular

Unread postby aboutagb » 23 Mar 12, 6:53 pm

In terms of performance; if you have Lightroom 4 installed, convert all your RAW files to *.DNG.
This allows Lightroom to process each image file across all of the available cores. The standard Canon RAW file are currently process on a single-core thread.
aboutagb

n00bie

Unread postby Bluefire » 23 Mar 12, 7:59 pm

Cheers for the replies guys, just waiting for bank to pull cash out of term deposit, so monday order most likely.

Wouldnt MIND a 120gb ssd, but that brings it over 1500 delivered.

Yes Im set on getting her an intel system, looked at the benchmarks intel v amd to apply one layer to a photoshop image, latest AMD's are worse than the 4yr old intel chip she currently has.

Shiny, just picked the case at random due to price/usb/size/general apearance.

*.dng eh ? yeah she has lightroom 4, says thanks, will try it.
Bluefire

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Nightstaar » 23 Mar 12, 8:33 pm

I wouldn't bother with anything less than a 120GB SSD, especially with Adobe products installed. Windows 7 and Photoshop and you'll be getting close to full!
Nightstaar

Story Teller

Unread postby Psymon01 » 24 Mar 12, 4:29 pm

Just did a format and installed basic programs (15 in total) including Photoshop and Sony Vegas etc. and have 64gb free on my 120 SSD.
Psymon01

Regular

Unread postby Bluefire » 26 Mar 12, 10:57 am

Ordered today...
changed the ssd to 120gb.. added a 2nd 2tb..
1500 budget got a little screwed :7
but oh well..

Next on the list a **** load of dvdr's, a fireproof safe and wireless raid network drives as extra backup locations.
Anyone aware of a decently priced 2t+2tb(raid 1, redundancy) wireless network station that I can lock in a box in the shed.. preferably with option to expand later to a 4 disk 4tb ?
Bluefire

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Bluefire » 10 Apr 12, 9:12 am

Parts arrived, assembled.. finnaly uploaded image.
Have since added more hdd's and a pair of 120mm fans to front bays.

Edit: as per request, comments on case.
For $65.. the case is damn shiny, not as convenient as a $250 case, but nice airflow, good sold construction, its sitting on house bricks under a desk, been pulled on / off a dozen times as drives were added/removed/changed.. no external scratching yet. Internal paint is a little thinner, scrached arround the hdd screws when screws done up very tight/removed (have a look at bottom 5 1/4 bay you can see where I added a 3 1/2 converter then removed it). Cables can mostly be hidden behind the mboard, couple of cable ties and your set. Looking for a budget case.. you cant do much better than this. They could charge $100 easly and it would still sell.
Bluefire

Jedi Upstart

Previous

Return to Tech Chat